2018 Nz/au Group 5 Proxy At Mt Panorama In Sydney Au

Ontheflipside

Header%202_zpsfqhjcsft.jpg

Track details

18.2mtrs in length. Routed MDF with recessed braid non magnetic and a Ferrodor (micaceous iron oxide) finish.

RC timing, Slotit hand controllers. Power 10v

Conrod Straight 5m Including the “Chase”. Mountain Straight 3.5m

Outside lane is 400mm longer but the quickest.

Rise from Pit straight to the top of the mountain – 500mm

Top of mountain down to Forrest Elbow – 350mm

Infield Rally track is not used in a road race.

Qualifying finished. Results and comments will be posted early tomorrow (eyes not working to well late tonight)

:wacko:

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

All cars arrived ok except the # 09 Porsche had a broken rear wing and car # 1B (Als) Capri. Missing the driver :)

I don't believe these times mean a lot but still good fun to run.

It's how consistent the car runs overall. But I will race cars from the lowest lap times to fastest

Most cars did around 30 laps to get a rating. The inside (shortest lane) was used but the outside lane is quicker so nodoubt we will see some quicker laps during the event.

This track is very unique to most race tracks due to the incline, undulations and tight corners, so I am expecting some different results to the norm.

Also sprung guides work best on this track but I'm surprised how well all cars performed and really were not disadvantaged.

Qualifying_zpsacpw2a3p.jpg

For what it's worth the track record is 5.156 with a GT car.

Cars are now in Parc fermé waiting for race to begin.

Pac%20Ferme_zpshecxxmjd.jpg

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

wow there are some very interesting results

I wasn't expecting that

This track is fun to drive but also known to put the cat amongst the pigeons

Closeup of paddock

Pac%20Ferme%20close%20up_zpsin9p9kxj.jpg

Thanks for the qualifying. As much as I love the track I hate it for Mustangs. Good luck to all and thanks for hosting the round.

Your car was catching on a proud join in the track caused when we moved house. I have a Nascar that does the same, but I have now fixed the problem.

In the qualifying I needed to back off a little near the joins. So now expect a quicker lap time during the race.

, quali times are interesting bigger gap between the field than normal , pity this is the last year of the GP5 proxy for the forseable future being quite competative .

Big difference between some cars performance across the top and down the mountain. Also through the Chase.

Yes a pity about next year. It's a real Buzz driving these great cars

Some pics taken by the wife while I was doing some warm ups to test each cars performance prior to running the qualifying.

No2%20Mountain%20straight_zps3fkok08o.jpg

Under full throttle heading up Mountain straight over the hump

No2%20End%20Mountain%20straight_zps1y3t1kq6.jpg

Needed to brake earlier but Mountain straight is a high speed straight and corner, so getting it right gets faster laps

No2%20Short%20Cut%20Chase_zpsd1i9mpnz.jpg

Quite often taking a short cut through the Chase sand trap will pick up time if the car lands back in the slot and this happens 80% of the time. Never done on purpose. :P

No%208%20Mountain%20straight_zpswiobtv2z.jpg

Another getting some air over the hump. Usually hear it but hard to get a good pic. Will try and get a slow motion video.

No%2051%20Mountain%20straight_zpsz8vkwbti.jpg

Circled are spots where the back wheels land spinning.

No%204%20Dipper_zpspzzlm6wz.jpg

mostly quick across the mountain but some laps a little tipsy at the dipper :unsure:

No%2055%20Mountain%20top_zpsolbimm2y.jpg

Right at the top of the mountain. Most cars handled this corner OK but where we have a Marshall standing ;)

Esses%20No%2051_zpsbmc3ztev.jpg

Too fast down the mountain and you don't make it through Forrest elbow. Usually a little throttle at the top and let the car

roll down the steep decent.

A map of Mount Panorama showing track locations I often refer to

250px-Mount_Panorama_Circuit_Map_Overview.PNG

Esses%20No%2023_zpsb0lgodjv.jpg

Too quick again.

No%201A%20Conrod_zpssoc3cop6.jpg

A dip before Murray's Corner then around a slightly off camber corner. All cars seemed to handle this OKCutting%20%203_zpsuanyocq1.jpg

The infamous Cutting. A bit tough on this "Stang". Was difficult to handle but after many warm up laps I controlled it OK

Could have done with more ballast on this track. I haven't weighed it but feels the lightest car in the group.

Edited by Ontheflipside

Had some visitors last night so I took the opportunity to run the yellow lane race with some handy Marshalls.

Just downloaded the results so will simplify and pretty up and post shortly

2018%20Round%206%20Mt%20Panorama%20NZ%20gp%205%20Yellow%20Lane_zpslmkwcbzf.jpg

Some surprises and disappointments :blink::rolleyes:

I have a lot on my plate the next few days so pending having 1 or two marshals I hope to run the (inside) green (final) lane. this Tuesday or Wednesday..

Edited by Ontheflipside

Only 3 laps down and big air (more than once it seems) for the Porsche with a good fast lap. That’s ok.

BTW, the car was set up on a tight track - a little softer on the throttle and the Car should flow around the corners and elevation ok. With the thunderslot motor, there is enough torque to lift the front if you are a bit aggressive...

Have fun.

Tony

Ouch did not see that coming for the BMW been consistently faster than the Mustang.

Just had a look at some notes and can only surmise a couple a things.

The Beamer did struggle down the mountain a bit and while it has wider tyres than the "Stang" it is also 7.6g lighter.

Temperature during the earlier part of the race was 38deg C but mid afternoon to evening it dropped to 23deg C.

That was having an effect of around 1-2 seconds per lap on several cars the Beamer was 2nd last run.

Around lunchtime the track was rubbering up well and temp was increasing so cars in that bracket were running quick with great grip.

Best of luck in the next race Keith.

Only 3 laps down and big air (more than once it seems) for the Porsche with a good fast lap. That's ok.

BTW, the car was set up on a tight track - a little softer on the throttle and the Car should flow around the corners and elevation ok. With the thunderslot motor, there is enough torque to lift the front if you are a bit aggressive...

Have fun.

Tony

I did have fun Tony.

There we no "offs" with your car during the race and being a late runner temp may have been a factor. (see my response to Peter Gunn)

The pictures were taken during some warm up laps prior to the qualifying where I possibly drove at 11/10ths to see what the car could do and also see where it struggled.

Think I said earlier qualifying lap times were the best of up to 30 laps and any "offs" didn't have an impact.

During the race I tend to drive at about 9/10ths to avoid "offs" as that is at least 2sec lost time or 1/3 of a lap.

Best of luck in the next race.

The Crowd is starting to build up for the final race of the 2018 Nz/au Group 5 Proxy At Mt Panorama

MSP%20Crowd%20NZ%20Proxy_zpshen5c733.jpg

MSP%20Crowd%202%20NZ%20Proxy_zpsjlunbkwn.jpg

Cars are doing a "Show off" parade lap. They are in car # order

parade%20lap_zpsdsi9qbvv.jpg

The race will be run tomorrow morning (Aussie time Saturday) which is forecast to be a stable temperature.

Driver will be Craig (Team Red Racer) who has possibly raced more laps on this track than I have.

It will be on the green lane which is slightly tighter than the yellow lane.

Best of luck all

Edited by Ontheflipside

The Race has been run and finished.

I'll post results in the morning. Just now got caught up in our local Christmas street party

For those who like the raw date while I update and pretty up the "final" spreadsheet

Congrats to: Terry 62 Lancelot 67

Aloha 0.51 for the green lane race win

The Green lane was set for 1 minute longer than the yellow lane. Hence greater laps achieved

2018%20Round%207%20Mt%20Panorama%20NZ%20gp%205%20green%20Lane%20raw_zpsfwyzzxoi.jpg

A big thanks to Team Red Racer for coming over to help out and run this race.

Craig likes to run several (sometimes heaps) laps to get used to each car and dial in the controller. And he is is better at

sorting out Race Controller than I am ;):P

Temperatures went from 24 deg C when we started the race at about 9am to 30deg C after 1pm

Those seeded after mid morning certainly had some advantage.

Craig%20Green%20lane_zpsrsclhlex.jpg

Just being dragged away to a family outing, so the round results won't be finished until late tonight Sorry! :unsure:

Not the best video (rushed one at the end)

Edited by Ontheflipside

Thanks OntheFlipside and team for running this round. Love the track but obviously my M1 didn't, though it looked competitive on qualifying, which goes to prove race day and qualifying can easily be a different story .

Congrads to the podium placegetters, suspect Gas4it will pip me on overall points now. It's been a closely fought series at the top with different round winners, which is what makes a good proxy series. One more Round?

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!