Inox

Storm68

I know you can use Inox MX3 for cleaning braids and track rails but can you use it on tyres for added grip?

I usually use Ballistol but it’s a pain to get so some people say mx3 is ok to use and some say it’s not.

WD40 is supposed to be ok as well but it’s petroleum based whereas Inox MX3 is a lot more friendlier.

I wouldn't use Inox on your tyres, it will just make them more slippery.

I use WD40 to clean the rails on my Scalextric Sport track every now and again, rails only keep it off the track.

Use a damp rag to clean the track of dust etc.

Then I use Inox to improve the conductivity on the rails only, getting it on the track will cause your car to slip more again.

For some reason Inox works a charm when used to increase the conductivity.

Matt

Simple answer.... try it yourself.

I haven't used Inox to clean tyres, but I'm guessing that it will clean the tyres, and in turn give you more grip.

:huh:

I've used WD40 for many years on foam and rubber tyres, but on a painted timber track, and it works great.

Steve K.

I’m running a plastic track and wood isn’t an option.

I asked for advice from people who have experience, something I don’t have.

I don’t want to go spraying Inox on tyres when I shouldn’t, it’s like saying drink this maybe it’ll kill you maybe it won’t, give it a go.

I don’t really get it, on another forum I posted about some bugs on a race app and all I got from the developer was are you serious?

It’s was a bugs thread so I assumed that was the right thing to do, I wasn’t bored, I had app problems.

I ask for advice here and I get a try it yourself.

If I wasn’t concerned about doing the wrong thing I would but because I don’t know I asked.

Honestly I give up trying to ask for help, all I want is a constructive answer not something generic.

Storm this is a very generic question that you ask and you can have contradictory answers because some of the those people tried by themselves and come up with different outcomes.

If you are planning to treat your tyres on a plastic track that is not painted there is always the issue that the treatment might interact with the track surface.

Inox is not too bad (I tried for a very short time) but I prefer to use other products such as ATF and NSR oil.

I also read your comments on the magic app: dude the guy is trying his best to keep up with the different requests for different OS and he is doing on top of his daily job. I think he is delivering a great product at a very good pace considering the complexity of the cross-platform development.

• Upvote 2

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Storm - Grunz has made a very good point above - the more informative the question, the better quality the answers.

eg, the type of track, ie brand of plastic, or type of paint on wood, and the type of tyres (including brand and type "NSR supergrip" or "Slot.it N22" etc) "Rubber" is a pretty vague term, and understood differently by different people.

In technical fact, 95% of the tyres we ALL call rubber tyres, are some form of synthetic rubbery compound, or a natural rubber which has been highly modified by chemical processes. So each one is a little different, and responds differently to applications of the 10 or 20 treatments various of us use.

While I don't have any experience with Inox on tyres, knowing the information above, I or anyone else with experience would be able to say what things work well for them in the same situation.

Often, people with great experience hold back because there are too many imponderables to consider if they don't have enough information.

Personally, anything that works well as a contact cleaner, is a bit dubious on most tyres.

CRC226 is "okay", WD40 is "okay" CRC 556 is useless on most NSR, Sideways, Slot.it, ScaleAuto,

It is a pretty broad field.

What I use is very tyre compound specific.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

.......... all I want is a constructive answer not something generic.

Fair enough.

I know you can use Inox MX3 for cleaning braids and track rails but can you use it on tyres for added grip?

No. It will clean the tyres only.

For added grip, use STP.

2 conflicting answers already

Yep, so what do you do in a case like this???

I would try it myself. That's how we all discover if these strange concoctions work for sure or not.

I don’t want to go spraying Inox on tyres when I shouldn’t, it’s like saying drink this maybe it’ll kill you maybe it won’t, .....

Hmmm, a bit of an extreme analogy. I wouldn't have thought a pair of slot car tyres could be compaired to someone's life.

If it's that serious for you, then experiment on some other piece of rubber to see what effects you get.

There has been plenty of times I've asked for suggestions of fellow racers, some work, some don't. I usually try them all, even if they don't make sense to me. I don't know everything, and sometimes the most unlikely suggestions work.

Be a bit open minded about what you read here, and elswhere, not everything is black or white, and what works for me, may not work for you.

If you don't try things for yourself, you will never know for sure.

Steve K.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are running on plastic track and want more grip, why not just run magnets?

Adding oils etc to tyres to get more traction is basically replicating the magnetic effect.

Storm if you're hankering after more grip then changing the rear tyres to MJK's might be worth considering. They're urethane and they don't need any 'secret sauce' to get better grip.

MJK's offer enough grip without being magnet like, also harder to treat which makes for a level playing field, and resistant to picking up dust/debris. Worth a go on your plastic track, BONUS - MJK's come in many different shapes and sizes to suit almost any rim.