Sign in to follow this  
GRUNZ

Sidewinder Setup

When you mount a sidewinder spurgear which way do you put the hub where the grab screw goes in? Facing the axle bush in the pod or facing the wheel? Also, do you align the gear the external edge of the pinion (like in a AW setup) or try to align the gear such that it sits in the dead centre of the pinion?

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Where possible, I prefer to put a thin stainless spacer between the axle bush and the gear, then mount with the gear teeth inwards, boss outwards, so I have a good visible gap between the inside of the tyre and the gear.

That allows me to align the grub screw on the wheel with the grub screw on the gear, and see them both for easy tightening, removal and lateral adjustment of wheel width.

I tend to like the pinion set so the gear isn't at the outer end.

Lateral position doesn't affect alignment though, so I tend to have the pinion as far in as possible on the shaft, while leaving enough gap for a pinion removal tool, and having the spur gear contacting within the pinion, not at the outer edge, simply so that if wear sets it, it is less likely to accelerate to a point where the mesh degrades and chomps the pinion.

Occasionally with a high profile tyre and narrow car, I need to dremel off the end of a motor shaft if it is too long.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Where the spur gear needs to have the boss on the bush side also mount your wheel with both grub screws lined up so you can find it even if you can't see it.

• Upvote 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg