Sign in to follow this  
miveson

Ebay European Customs Charges

I have recently sold some items to European buyers and I'm having issues with the EU customs holding items and requesting additional payments from buyers.

Buyers are saying they were not informed by me about the import charges to which my response has been "I am not responsible for import fees".

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of these issues as the buyer has requested a return which will eventually turn into an eBay case.

I've previously sent stuff to EU, marked as a gift without issues. A $190 item was charged $70 import fees for a gift.

I'm at the point where I might stop selling to European ebay users as it creates to much hassle.

Thanks

Mark

The UK has a fifteen pound limit before customs duty is incurred. The EU is about thirty euro before charges apply.

Without being devious there is no way to avoid these charges for the purchaser IMHO.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Surely it is their responsibility to understand what charges THEIR country / zone charges for any category and value of goods.

What wallies.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

I agree totally. I just wanted to ensure that I was in the right.

Stupid thing is that buyer tries to invoke the return to sender as a bad transaction (item doesn't meet description) which is bollox (default option on eBay in this case is for buyer to pay return postage).

I have to laugh as in order to send it back the buyer would have to pay the import fees.

Oh well, it'll get escalated to a case and fingers crossed I'll win.

I must admit it's bloody stupid, how the hell do people send presents at xmas to EU countries (mark the value as $5)?

Please be aware that if they give you negative feedback and/or mark you down you have no recourse unless the transaction is reversed.

I lost my 'Awesome trader guy' rating as a French jerk (nothing against France, just a guy that lives there) marked down my shipping time as it took too long (three weeks in December) to arrive. My terms are posted within two business days, and i posted within one, even though this jerk delayed almost a week prior to paying.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Hey a few years back, a very well known UK slot builder asked me if I could send him some extra (free) samples of my range of Urethane tyres - he had already bought some from me, liked them, and wanted to see the vintage range.

So I did so, sent them free, paid the freight, declared the value at about 15 quid, and when the package arrived, UK Post wanted about 10 quid in charges.

- This was for a dozen sets of custom mold urethane vintage tyres. - They guy refused to pay, had them sent back to me as unclaimed, abused me vociferously in several emails, told me I was am amateur, knew squat about importing (only 35 years import and export trade in 40 odd countries in 3 industries) and demanded I send them all again (for free including another postage cost) and make a value declaration below the thresh-hold.

Needless to say we had a parting of the ways.

I think the problem we have highlighted in each of these cases is that people in these big trade economies lack the exposure to trade outside their normal boundaries - I get the same dealing into and out of USA - US companies have been in every industry through my career, THE worst to deal with for international trade - (the stories I could tell would test your belief).

Whereas we in outlier colonies are used to understanding what it takes to buy, sell and ship to/from international markets for cost, legality, logistics etc, be it a slot car, a few thousand LP records or 50 container loads of hazardous chemicals in my cases.

If it is any consolation at all Slotraceshop has just had TWO orders of controllers from different USA makers each go AWOL for almost a month, and one of them wasn't answering emails, or following up on phone calls to help with the tracking, PLUS a Postal courier of Slot Cars from a French maker go MIA in Marseilles airport for 12 days, which no one could find - and which simply arrived, un-signed for on my doorstep this week. No one knows how they got from Marseilles to here.

So I know your pain... Hope it all works out okay Mark.

Now, back to the vino and the beloved.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Interesting this as i import various slot related items from differant parts of the world especially the USA and have found that it,s not so much paying the VAT on these items which i always calculate in, it,s the £8 on top the royal mail charge for putting a sticker on me packet telling me there is a handling charge of £8, i expect for putting the sticker on.

And another thing looming here when we leave the EU we will have all this from importing items from Europe after that date something we don't have now , so i,m looking ahead and stocking up .

I thought countries were trying to encourage a global economy
I thought that too but is smacks of the big fella ripping off the little fellah time and time again...a bit like that other joke known as the "Global shipping program"

John Warren

I thought countries were trying to encourage a global economy
I thought that too but is smacks of the big fella ripping off the little fellah time and time again...a bit like that other joke known as the "Global shipping program"

Indeed, what a rip off that is, actual shipping costs are about a 1/4 of that

I recently paid 18 pounds for shipping of a small resin kit.

It took a month to arrive and was just crammed into my letter box when it did.....that was after the five emails to tell me it was here or there.......all courtesy of the Global shi##ing program

John Warren

Oh well, it's been escalated now.. Cheeky buyer wanted a 45Euro deduction on sale price (as if).

It's going to get very interesting as if the buyer doesn't actually pay the customs fees then I suspect customs will destroy the item (I marked as dispose of item if it couldn't be delivered) rather than pay for it to be sent back.

Yeah, a friend of mine in the UK got charged import fees for some tyres and parts I cast for him, even though I'd already paid bloody GST for all the stuff I needed to make the parts. And it was some ridiculously high 30% of the total value. They should not be able to tax stuff that's already been taxed, it just makes it too expensive for small players.

Its got to the point now, that seeing as the powers that be don't seem to be at all reasonable, I just lie and send everything overseas marked as a $10 gift. Haven't had any complaints since.

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website