Peter Gunn

Proxy Racing Is The End Near

Ok expect to be shot down in flames here , but i think this question has to be asked as it would appear that Proxy racing recently seems to be loosing interest and especially this year , there are a number of them going on and very little seems to be happening in any of them as regards action to keep people interested , this form of racing is really my last in slot car interests as there are no clubs here any more to race on so i do a fair number to keep my interest alive and sorry chaps the scene is very quiet.

Now i know and appreciate there is a lot involved in running these things and have always been greatful for the oppurtunity to take part met some interesting people along the way and i hope made some new friendships, but lack of info and action must affect others as well , well said me bit down to you if you have a view to put it out there :)

The IPS is alive and well with 30plus entrants and there is a proxy for Pre WW2 cars being discussed if you are keen on that then let me know.

The barthurst/AATC car proxy will also happen next year so keep your ears open too.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I know John my point is that there is a lack of what is going on with the current one's big gaps appear in the running of some of them the IPS was my favourite but this year along with the WRP the whole series seems to be fragmented with results and info , generally David's proxies run pretty well seem to be regular running of the Group 5 and the ATCC which keeps the interest going and i have already got potential cars for the ATCC 2019 .

Proxies are only as good as the people organizing them and keeping the interest up.

I am one of the old time Proxy host and organizers and know just how much work and time it takes to maintain interest.

Over the years I have seen plenty of Proxies die simply because no one can maintain interest due to the time involved.

Some times the hosts simply do not communicate enough with the organizer and do not or cannot post pics and results, this tends to leave big time gaps in the event.

IMO for a great event there needs to be constant postings, and if possible a round every two to 3 weeks.This is very hard when overseas locations are involved.

If hosts and organizers cannot or will not commit to them do not offer to host or run an event.

Sorry for the rant but some of my favorite events has gone or are struggling because of the above.

I for one have been struggling to get Oz Rally back up, due to personal issues, but Hoefully I can get the time and revive it.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

We have the IPS tommorow, the Slot Car Illustrated Touring Proxy kicking off ( it may need a name and forum change) but the coverage has been great for both. Video always helps as some have been shown live on Facebook or YouTube. It's also summer in parts of the proxy world which I believe has slowed some racing reports, scheduling of drivers etc. That said, at least 6 up coming proxies have 24 or more builders participating. I feel it will be a GREAT 6 months of racing

Whoo hoo!

What/when rules etc Gas? Pity you hadn’t promoted this here before - I might have entered.

I must get a round of the IPS and Tasman at my rebuilt track in Cooma one day too. (Will be too small for the very fast cars).

T

Interesting comments , i tend to agree with Phil who is basically saying what i,m trying to say , in my opinion it,s not the quantity but the quality, i cannot prasie to highly the effort put in by the organisers but it,s when the series start that they gradually seem to fall away , also i think the IPS and the WRP are going to become to expensive in their current form to carry on what with the logistics of sending cars around the world.

I enter Tasman, IPS, WRP, Group 5, ATCC, Touring cars, and the OZ when it was running, and have enjoyed doing it , i know there are others out there but there is a limit on what some of us can do , it may be a personal thing but i find my interest waning with lack of anything going on, all i,m really saying i suppose is we need a regular racing schedule in any proxy to give us all something to look forward to, and talk about.

The first year I hosted the Ozrally I went all out with photos of every car on every stage with feedback on every stage as well. I also did a video of each class. The feedback I got was very positive, however, as I wanted to keep things rolling and not let the proxy slow down it was pretty full on getting it all done so quick.

I haven't been able to match it since due to time and motivation as you really need to WANT to do all the extra stuff, not just play with cars. People really enjoy that level of entertainment at each round but not everyone has the ability to achieve it. All it takes is one slow round and things can start to go down hill.

The only time I get the track set up is to prepare for these events which time has been getting less and less of late (my results are showing this). Not really related to anything to do with the proxies, just life. My boys are starting to get better with it so it might pick up a little.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Yes I agree with Phil and Peter, its not the quantity of Proxy's there are a fair few around still. Large gaps in between rounds does tend to make the interest wane. A bit like watching an interesting TV series with loooooong gaps between episodes. I do appreciate that life does intrude and I for one am extremely grateful to those that host and organise

these events. Without which i'd probably just be pushing my cars around the carpet or eyeing them on the shelves. Enough said and back to preparing "next years winner".

• Upvote 1

Hi all. I enjoy running in proxies and am not too concerned with how I go. The occasional win or podium is nice but not essential. Agree timeliness can be an issue but good reports and photos are almost as good as actually competing. I prefer the proxies where some scratch building is required rather than just adapting a commercial product. I might even say I avoid proxies that tend towards commercial products. Not that I am saying any less skill or tuning is required (that is certainly not the case) but I like cars to be different to what I race myself on a regular basis. I often tend to enter cars at the wrong end of the performance scale so if a good result comes I get an extra buzz.

Number wise I think there are still plenty and a good range of proxies to suit all tastes. Numbers do not need to be huge to make a proxy successful. 12-15 cars is good and is not so hard on the organisers.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Charles it,s not the number of them or where people finish or if it,s scratch built or commercial chassis cars , in my opinion and i think others it,s the lack of anything happening to keep interest continuing , i,ve noticed the same people are having a look to see what's going on and like me i expect they are a little bit starved of news, pictures , progress, comment and details on how their car is performing , all i have is the feed back to find out what i,m doing wrong, i live a world away and when i work on a car am doing it blind as regards what sort of track ,and the surface the car will be on, i don't expect to win or get podium results i just want to try to send a competative car and really appreciate getting some news .

Hi all. I enjoy running in proxies and am not too concerned with how I go. The occasional win or podium is nice but not essential. Agree timeliness can be an issue but good reports and photos are almost as good as actually competing. I prefer the proxies where some scratch building is required rather than just adapting a commercial product. I might even say I avoid proxies that tend towards commercial products. Not that I am saying any less skill or tuning is required (that is certainly not the case) but I like cars to be different to what I race myself on a regular basis. I often tend to enter cars at the wrong end of the performance scale so if a good result comes I get an extra buzz.

Number wise I think there are still plenty and a good range of proxies to suit all tastes. Numbers do not need to be huge to make a proxy successful. 12-15 cars is good and is not so hard on the organisers.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

+1, can't think of anything more to add.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I enjoy following the proxy process - sometimes 10 pages on here on motor choices, very technical. I am not a proxy enterer-er, but was thinking it is a bugger that slot car fans can be so far flung geographically. Anyhow, can't change that, but was wondering - do most proxy enterer-ers enter proxy races due to lack of local racers to compete with in head to head competition, or for other reasons?

Caddo on a personal note i have no where left to race where i am , nearest club is about a 3 hour round journey and they tend to run more vintage cars since i came back into this have bought cars i like some are terrible as regards mechanicals so i modify them to go better on my track , and when i heard about proxies i thought i have the cars will travel, some here think i,m mad making cars for others to race but i wanted to keep my hand in so this is what i now do as my hobby, and i look forward to hearing how i do as well as the rest of the entries, there are quite a few i have met down under doing this form of racing , in met i mean our paths cross in various proxies like old friends i look at the entry lists and it,s good to see the regulars taking part .

When i started this tag i had come to the conclusion that all things pass and my interest is waning didn't know why then but i do now lack of anything going on , on a regular basis is the main reason i suppose, i,m actually sitting here at my bench working on a Tasman car for 2019 , i cannot build like i used to so modify and try to get what i have run better as i,m in some fast company in a lot of these proxies and i like to turn out a competative car, this year i am still trying to figure why i,ve gone backwards in at least 2 proxies when the cars i entered were good here, but then everyone else has upped their game so you sort of stand still , it,s frustrating in the fact you don't have these people here so you can compare cars and notes like we used to do when we had clubs , nothing better than a slot car club to feel you belong to something we all like to do.

Caddie,

I have taken the proxy route to add to my club experience- if allows me to make and run scratchbuilt chassis, which I cannot at my club (😩).

The best part apart from that is hosting - is a good way to share others skills and approaches...

Peter - I note that despite your apparent uncertainty about what you build and run, youbuild some bloody good cars and should be proud of your skills. Perhaps it is time for you to route a short track in MDF at home so you can become more familiar with wood. Only needs to be a few metres (yards?) in lane length to test your cars on..

Personally I get more joy out of building and tuning the cars, when they are at the best I can get them (not necessarily the best they can be) I start to lose interest.

With a Proxy I can see how they go with people that can drive and it gives a good idea of where I'm at with the building side, also it is a great way to try out design ideas.

I too live a fair way from most clubs so don't have the greatest opportunity to race, that along with my wife working nights and me looking after the kids, time is short.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I hope proxy racing has a healthy future as I am thinking of building something, hoping to have something built by 2019. Have been reading a bit about the Tasman series, sounds like a perfect formula for someone who likes to build and tinker with mechanical things, especially tinkering with slot cars. As a parent with young kids and unable to get out to race at a club I can empathise with ZeGas.

I have a plastic digital magnet track here in town and my son can drive with the best of them. Proxy racing allows me to build without magnets, turn my son loose and then add the learnings from what I consider the best of the best. Each of you. I don't have a routed track, or a technical plastic track, so feed back is crucial while proxy racing. And yes Peter most feedback has declined unless asked for specifically regarding our entries. like Peter says, without pics, feedback or video that's delayed its almost useless. I try to compete in proxies with quick results, feed back and races as it helps maintain the interest level for me.

Edited by Brumos RSR

I run the Slot Car Illustrated Touring Car Proxy http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198 and try to give as much feedback as I can but it can be hard to explain how a car feels to drive when you have to race 20+ cars in one night.

Add to the mix 3 drivers to do the racing and you've got 60 (20 x 3) comments to deal with. That's why I video each race so people can see how their car behaves.

What I'll start doing this year is test each car for a few laps before each race and post a review on how they felt to drive as well as a video of each race.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

How can anyone say Proxy is dying, click the 'view new content' link and 4 of the top 10 threads excluding this one which would make 5 are Proxy racing.

If you have everything under control you're not trying hard enough

I run the Slot Car Illustrated Touring Car Proxy http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198 and try to give as much feedback as I can but it can be hard to explain how a car feels to drive when you have to race 20+ cars in one night.

Add to the mix 3 drivers to do the racing and you've got 60 (20 x 3) comments to deal with. That's why I video each race so people can see how their car behaves.

What I'll start doing this year is test each car for a few laps before each race and post a review on how they felt to drive as well as a video of each race.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, I watched the proxy you hosted last season. I thought it was well planned, timely and the videos give enough feedback to help builders. Your proxy led me to enter this year and to the AUSlot boards so Thank you

Edited by Brumos RSR