Difalco Diy Traction Control ????

lenny broke

Hi Guys,

I have a Difalco 303 ( I think) e-motion 30 that I'd like to fit a traction control device to. Rather than getting the wire wound pot I've thought about using a rotary switch. Is it possible use a rotary switch rather than the wire wound pot and if so what resister range would be recommended.

Looking at my 304 it looks like all it needs is to connect the the rotary switch to the circuit board. I don't have the 303 with me at present so can't compare the differences.

Any advice on this, gratefully accepted

Cheers, Alan

Edited by lenny broke

The bit on the back is a mush/coast rheostat and is 100 ohm Difalco code is DD552

I don't have a 303 here at the moment to compare, but I think you also need a wee slide switch.

Art the rate I have been going through Difalco's I will probably be placing another order before end September if that is of any help Alan.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The 303 only has Brake and Sensitivity the 304 has the added “Traction “:control that in effect limiting the voltage thru the range.

This can be achieved several ways.

Most of the guys here use a rotary switch with diodes on the switch, it can also be achieved using a pot to help control the Max power the transistor will pass.

The 304 uses the pot to control the transistor.

I have a 304 board sitting on the bench at present.

Using diodes not resistors on a rotary switch will give a defined drop with each step regardless of the current draw.

I will show you our setups when you are here.

This type of control can be fitted to any controller.

Having this voltage limit is good when racing higher powered cars on short tracks, like a Rhys’s.

Are you bringing both controllers with you?

Edited by kalbfellp

Hi Phil and Mark,

I had some time on my hands today so started thinking about this. I had a hand controller built for me some time ago that had 3 rotary switches on it that I thought worked pretty well so thought to experiment with an "upgrade" to the old 303 by using one for the Traction control. I don't have the 303 with me at present (I'm up in QLD) but have the 304 with me. I was having a look at it last night and thought it might be straight forward job to fit a rotary switch. Phil we can have a chat about it when I catch up with you in a couple of weeks time.

I'll have to wait till I get home to compare the two and see whats required Mark.

Thanks Guys

Alan