Round 9 Rally Isle Of Man - Part 2

slotcarmann

Evening again all

Having completed the 3rd Stage of Round 8 last on Thursday afternoon, Friday was a much-needed rest day after watching cars whizzing round and round and round.... :rolleyes: Also my trigger finger was blistered as I have done very little slot racing this year. <_<

So Saturday dawned sunny and warm and Barbs and I arrived at the Club before 9am to run this Round's Stage 1.

It became apparent that the Scalextric Sport track used on the Switchback stage was pretty hot with full sun on it, but after a quick check all seemed well with the connections and we set off for another batch of 22x12 laps...lol....but running it in the reverse direction to Round 8.

There were no problems with any of the cars this time and in general less de-slots than first time around, although I seemed to have trouble with Car 6 (sorry Gaz), which normally behaves a bit better. Or maybe it was my bad driving.... :huh:

We had a few cars move up a bit, but sadly, as an Audi entrant, those damned Fords seemed to enjoy the conditions best...!

I'll e-mail Kev the results and ask him nicely to post up the Stage 1 results.

More comments later.

Cheers

Dave

Hi guys

As regards car 2, I'm not really sure what was up..

The car just didn't seem itself and certainly didn't feel comfortable to drive. But I couldn't find anything wrong.

I also had trouble with Gazza's car....which also is usually pretty stable - and car 4 was not as manageable as normal either.

But cars 11 and 20 seemed to perform better....bizarre.

Maybe some were affected by the hot track, but since we were all on the same control tyre, I can't think why this would have made a difference.

Pretty close all the way down from 4th to 22nd....and a mention for car 69, which crept up a couple of places.

The Switchback track has a maximum straight length of 1 standard Scalextric straight, so it is a case of on and off the throttle continually. Not any easy drive at all, due to the concentration required, so I was knackered afterwards....lol.

Cheers

Dave

I was beginning to wonder what had happened to my car (#5) after generally being mid table obscurity and occasionally flirting with the higher reaches of the table, the last couple of rounds it has been in the bottom 4 or 5 with loads of offs so I'd assumed something must have broken but I guess I've just prepped a diva that only behaves on the tracks it likes !

Unless of course you mistook a 2 for a 5 and I should be bottom and Peter Gunn 11th !

Thanks for all the stages Dave - you must be exhausted but I hope it has been fun.

Colin

Hi Colin

Your car is quite decent, but can easily catch you out if you push it....as I found out.

Theoretically, it should get easier to handle them all, the more rounds I drive. Theoretically....lol :lol:

We try to use a number of tracks with totally different characteristics, so that every car has a chance to shine.

However, there are always a few that regularly finish near the top and some that finish regularly in the bottom few.....the rest of us can be like yo-yos...! :D

It's certainly been a busy few days since the cars arrived on Tuesday....so for Stage 2 of Round 9, on Saturday bafternoon we moved on to Mike Buss' track in his man-cave in Douglas, where his 8ft x 4ft Car Park routed stage lives. And for a change, I didn't drive, just did a bit of marshalling....but I wasn't needed very much.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

There's some really good times there on the Switchback stage, the quick Open class (scratch built no motor/tyre limit) cars that used it two weeks ago were managing 12.9 secs/lap. Our runs are 5 laps which is just over 60 seconds so Dave doing 12 laps with 22 cars must have his head swimming.

Life is like a box of Slot cars...B)

Hi Slotcarman.

Good to see my Metro has performed a little better on this round to date.

Could not get over the number of offs in Round 8. Tracks seemed fairly straight forward but offs galore.

Can we have a picture of the R9 track please.

Thanks for the great reports, pictures etc. Congrats too to Gas41T/Rossco - that is one consistent car. Also good to see Aquakiwi keeping you honest.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Congrats to the I.O.M team on the marathon effort especially to Dave a few well earned pints needed after that lot , mystified how some cars are so consistant everywhere we travel to dunno what the secrets are but i have definitly not got them was looking at the results for a number of car's obviously mine in particular out of the 9 rounds so far it has finished in positions 15, 18, 6, 5, 7, 9, 7, 4, 21 and i have no idea what the hell i,m doing wrong with my car prep anymore, answers on a postcard please :)

Keith I’ll show you again

2C6F3CFA-ECA9-4F4E-BFA3-0D722C31C1BF.jpg

I try to always show my build:

The section under the motor is full of lead as is the digital door I took out an cut lead the size

You can see the lead on top of the digital door ...

Rear bushes I make sure they are perfectly square before I glue them so a axel falls straight threw....tyres trued then round the edges, NSR guide an slight lower front tyres...The motor wasn’t pulled out of the car nor was it run in I also used tiny gauge wire and you can see I still have the surpressure or what ever it is ..... made sure there was body rock and bobs you uncle that’s my car ....

Cheers Rossko didn't realise i could change front tyres , kept braking wheels to get the front ones of to true them up which i found not easy , my weight is roughly where yours is perhaps not as much at the rear , and didn't realise NSR did sprung guides , still don't know why i,m so slow and erratic though compared to the top runners 4th to 21st gives me no idea , got a spare car here i,ve been looking at but not sure if i will bother with this anymore , had nothing but trouble with the Scaley car trying to get it to be consistent , when you have a car which gives you such diverse results you really don't know what to do with it , but thanks for the advice appreciated. :)

Hi guys

I've photos of all the tracks in Stage3 to post, which I'll sort tonight, Manx time.

I'll also have some more photos of the cars for tonight, plus of course the results of Stage 3 (the last of the six we have run) and the overall for Round 9.

As always, it has been great fun to be a part of this again and long may it continue...!

Thanks for the low-down on your car preparation Rossco….I am sure we have all got slightly different methods.

Personally with my car, I have spent little time on it, due to other personal time constraints. I trued and glued the rear tyres, glued in the axle bearings, glued the wheels to the axles, added weight where the spaces were for magnets, and then two narrow pieces longitudinally inboard of the front screw holes. I can't recall whether I have glued in the motor yet, but will check that it is done before heading for the valleys of Wales. I have not run in the motor, nor changed the original guide, nor trimmed the chassis edges. And for the final stage of Rd 9, I remembered to back off the rear body screws to allow a bit of body rock. Oh and I painted my wheels red last night to distinguish it from Barbs' identical car. Barbs' car set-up is slightly different and I did trim the chassis slightly.

As we've discussed before, it all depends on the track, driver, handlability etc etc as to how a car's results are generated. Car 2 didn't seem to be totally trustworthy on the Saturday for either myself on Switchback or for Mike Buss on Car Park. Why the change? I don't have a formula to explain it, I'm afraid....

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Keith Rosscos car actually uses Metro wheels that may be slightly smaller, it also has a strong motor that gives it an edge on the open tracks. My only thing I found with this car was that it may be even better with a sprung guide.

These comments on,y apply to my tracks down here, where it just missed on a win.

Keith Rosscos car actually uses Metro wheels that may be slightly smaller

That's odd, I have a Quattro that I wanted to prepare, but was unable to obtain a rear axle/wheel combo in the UK.

So i used the Lancia as was under the impression that we were not allowed to swap parts across the 4 different models............

Simon

Whats not to like...........

So.…the box of 22 cars is now en route to Wales and should arrive there on Wednesday, all being well.

As a result of unexpected personal issues cropping up today, I was unable to find the time to take any more shots of the cars for the beauty parade, for which I humbly apologise.

However, I have sent photos of the 3 tracks used in Round 9 to Kevan, together with the results of Rd 9 Stage 3 and the overall Results for Round 9 - I am sure he will post all those on here as soon as he has a suitable opportunity.

The question for the final stage is whether anyone can challenge the top three cars....with 4th to 7th within 6 seconds, it's entirely possible...!

And can Rossko hang onto his lead of less than 5 seconds...?

All will be revealed very shortly...!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Phil.

As far as I am concerned standard means standard. Surprised too that you say Metro wheels are smaller. I thought it would be the other way around but do not have a Metro here to compare so I am sure you are right. Either way Rossco's car is one great slotcar. Just as well the grandkids, Alexis, Aquakiwi etc. are there to keep him honest.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

PS. I note it is only the front wheels that are Metro. I am sure Rossco had a good reason for using.

PS 2. I see car 20 also has some different wheels on the back.

Edited by charlesx

Thanks for running round 9 guys. Go the Metro. Very happy with 6th place.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

As y’all know plastic wheels brake last year my rim broke and it cost me just under $20 for a new rear axel assembly.....

The same happened to this car so I had spare rims of a metro with the same diameter so it’s all standard Scalextric with trued down front tyres !!!

Thanks Dave an helpers another great round

Congrats podium getters

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T