The Policar (Slot.it) Track System

25 replies to this topic

#21 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

To be honest with you, this idea to use constant radii in a bend is not that appealing.
The most basic rule in designing plastic layouts that have a nice flow (see threads on SF International) is to use different radii pieces to make each corner unique and the layout more interesting.
So having such geometry does not really add much. Variety in radii and angle degrees (45, 22.5, even an 11.25) would add more value.
Cheers
G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

#22 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostGRUNZ, on 03 September 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

To be honest with you, this idea to use constant radii in a bend is not that appealing.
The most basic rule in designing plastic layouts that have a nice flow (see threads on SF International) is to use different radii pieces to make each corner unique and the layout more interesting.
So having such geometry does not really add much. Variety in radii and angle degrees (45, 22.5, even an 11.25) would add more value.

I think you missed the point of this - the idea of being able to swap out different radii curves is so that overall, it is much easier to redesign a circuit while leaving the bulk of it in place - everything will match up.
Regardless of whether parts of the circuit, are, and may remain either constant or changing radii with an apex, others parts of the circuit can be made to easily join up without starting on the whole design from scratch trying to make them match up.

This doesn't limit design in any way, it just creates additional ease of design changes.
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#23 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

Maybe I need to make my point blunder: in all these years of designing plastic layouts (or following someone else track design process) I have never had the need of saying (or read someone saying) "oh, I would love to be able to swap my constant 90 degree radius curve R1 for a constant 90 degree radius curve R2 (or R3, or R4, etc) but unfortunately the geometry of my brand of choice track does not allow me to do that!".

Anyway, this "feature" does not preclude to create an interesting layout provided there are more radii available. Knowing that this is a slot.it product, I am quite confident that they will listen to what the serious hobbyists need.
Cheers
G

#24 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

Nope Gio, you still missed what I was saying.
I wasn't simply saying you can substitute an R2 for an R1 and a couple of half straights.
I was explaining that you can take out a whole chunk out of a design, build new combinations of part of the overall layout, knowing that at some point you can easily, accurately reconnect it to the remainder BECAUSE the type of geometry will always line up accurately, not creating those annoying gaps where you can't get accurate connection and would need all sorts of 70, 125mm straights etc.
That's quite important and useful as time saving as well, if the remainder is screwed down, has a lot of power taps etc
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#25 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

Mark, are you saying that this would work for any corner (no matter what the degree is covering) and even with a combination of pieces with different radii?
I can see it working for a 90 degree corner, where you can use all R1 (2 R1 of 45 degree), all R2 (2 R2 of 45 degree), and so on.
But I cannot see working for say a corner of 112,5 degree composed of different curve pieces (say 2 R3 of 45 degree and 1 R4 of 22,5 degree)...but I might be wrong.
Cheers
G

#26 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

That is the intention

Apparently either Fleishmann or Politoys track used to have that going for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users