Sign in to follow this  
Drifter

Parma 16D Winding Resistance And Brushes

As the heading says, does anyone know what the resistance of the windings of a healthy 16D deathstar should be?

Also where can you get new brushes from?

I have motors that are showing a dead short and need new brushes. These motors have done ALOT of work.

Edited by Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Thanks kalbfellp,

I was measuring a dead short across the lead wires.

After a closer look it seems the brushes were wearing into the shape of the commutator so much that the tip of the worn brush was touching the next segment of the comm.

I'll try with some new brushes when time permits.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

After a closer look it seems the brushes were wearing into the shape of the commutator so much that the tip of the worn brush was touching the next segment of the comm

Actually, due to the Size of the Brushes used in Motors like these, this is Not an Uncommon scenario, as the Brushes are Quite Large, compared to the Many 'Sealed' Internal Brushed motors (which have Much Smaller Brushes). As they are only 3 Pole motors, with Larger brushes, depending on the Position of the Arm' One Brush will Often be spanning more than One commutator Segment.

Were you Actually Using the Impedence Setting on your Multimeter, or just the Continuity setting ??,..

If the Performance of the Motors has Fallen Off, and If as you suggest they Have done a Lot of Work and the Brushes are Very Worn, if could be that the Brushes have Worn SO Much, that the Springs Have reached a Position within the Brush Holders, that they are touching the 'Brush Hoods' and No longer providing Real Pressure on the Brushes.

If as you Say, the Brushes have Worn Into the Shape of the Comm', it sounds like perhaps the Commutator has been Worn quite a bit and may actually be a slight problem itself.

Depending on the Amount of Wear on the Comm' it May (or may Not), be possible to Have the Commutator Trued (to give a Nice FLAT Surface) once again for the New Brushes, but may Also be Worn Beyond that possibility.

DeathStar's aren't; that Commonly available these days (at Local Raceways), as I think they have been Discontinued, but both replacement Armatures and even New Motors are Still available from a Few distributors and ofcourse Ebay etc

Depending on Where you are in Sydney, it may be worth dropping into or calling James at Hornsby Slot cars (for both Replacement Brushes and Springs and Alternative / replacement suggestions etc).

Suitable Replacement Brushes and Springs ARE still available :)

I noticed Hobbies Plus in NZ have replacement DeathStar Armatues still 'listed', as well as a "Proformance Racing" Parma Based Motor which may be a suitable replacement,.. but there are perhaps Other options.

Hope that Helps :)

• Upvote 1