Chassis Identification Help Please.

Ok instead of posting these into my own restoration thread I'd thought I'd put a few pics up here.

As the title says I'd like some help identifying some old chassis's

I do know a couple of them, but I may be wrong so woud like others input as well.

43429525862_8685fdea85_o_d.jpg

2. Atlas?

43477889301_fed5321652_o_d.jpg

43477889991_9105dce963_o_d.jpg

43477890461_ffc8ced881_o_d.jpg

5. The front axle on this one seems incorrect.

43477890831_b29b6ed64c_o_d.jpg

6. Revell?

43477891281_2d68396b24_o_d.jpg

7. Eldon (written on the base of the chassis).

43477891581_3670645cc9_o_d.jpg

43477891931_05b33ae3eb_o_d.jpg

43477892731_d74834343a_o_d.jpg

43477893121_def1e7ce6e_o_d.jpg

43477893421_ed856813be_o_d.jpg

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

cheers

Matt

Here are my thoughts...

1. Cox Cheetah. Wrong motor, should be FT16D. (not 13UO)

2. Atlas

3. Revell

4. Monogram, first series

5. Cox GT40, but wrong motor, gear and front axle carrier.

6. Revell

7. Eldon?

8. ?

9. Cox after market chassis

10. ?

11. Midori?

:huh:

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

No 1 Cox GT 40 or Cheetah, need to see the wheels. These came is a couple of versions, 13uo and FT 16

N 2 Atlas possible a Brabham or Lotus

No 3 Revell

No 4 Probably Monogram or copy.

No 5 Cox with Monogram motor and some sort of butcher front axle.

No 6 Yes

No 8 Probsbly Midori, would have to check think I still have one in a packet.

No 9 could be a Cox thst has been cut down on the sides.

No 10 NFI will have to look that one up.

No11 not sure but have seen one, think it may be a later Revell RTR.

Cox 1/32 Chassis came is several different configurations, Some had nylon bearings,some the axle ran in the chassis.Two motors, the 13 up chassis was narrow compared to the 16 version.

I do have all the Cox brochures and parts manuals here.

Thanks for the help so far Gents.

This may help with No 5 and maybe No.1

This is the box some of the chassis came in.

41671158050_1109326c2c_o_d.jpg

So I suppose it answers the question of what the correct motor is/was.

Just looking at some pics on the net I'd say the wheels on No.5 go with the chassis of No.1.

I think I was told by the owner of these chassis that N0 8 is a Midori Phil.

No 2 had a Ferrari ? body attached with the Atlas name on it. see pic below.

43477889661_a45dbb587e_o_d.jpg

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Well, chassis #1 has the short drop arm used on the Cheetah, and looks to have the correct rear wheels. 5 spoke with dome centre cap.

Chassis #5 looks like it has the long drop arm (3 holes) that is used on the GT40, and should have Halibrand style wheels with cast in 3 ear knockoff, which it looks to have. It looks like it has the Monogram FT16D motor, which makes it series 2 issue of the GT40. The Cox X-150 is same config, but chrome can.

#2 is definitely Atlas Ferrari. I've got same car, but missing some original bits.

#8 Dunno.

#11 I'm wrong on that. Not Midori, or Revell. It's Tokyo Plamo. I've got that chassis under a Studebaker Gran Tourismo.

Steve K.

Cheers Steve, appreciate the help.

I'll have to check the bodies I have to see if they match some of the chassis.

It looks like No.5 is the GT40 chassis then, wheels are the same as pics I've looked at on the net.

Had a quick look through the parts I have and should be able to rebuild the Cox GT40 chassis to it's original state.

Looks like the motor has been swapped out but I'm pretty sure I have the original motor here.

cheers

Matt

BigDen got me thinking about No 10 and made some suggestions about front section being upside down and being American because of the bearing holes.

So with this in mind I think it is a Renwall Competition Chassis.

The No 8 chassis is also the same as the Riko chassis that I have here somewhere, I think they were generic chassis with several companys using them.

Some of the Midori cars came with different chassis. I am not sure which ones had the brass tube chassis.I think they may have only offered the tube chassis as a competition version!

If you do not have the body the chassis may have been from one of the other manufacturers,that sold it as a chassis only.

I know they came on a bubble pack from a supplier with 3 letters, possibly AYK?

Half of the chassis's I've pictured don't have their correct bodies unfortunately Phil.

And the other half were attached to bodies that weren't slot car bodies to begin with.

I'm still sorting through what I have here atm, see what comes of everything.

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

After some help please identifying what I have here.

First up is accouple of brass chassis, the only difference being the motor mount brackets.

49624532503_e3bfee877f_z_d.jpg49625322102_5ddccf368c_z_d.jpg

Next up is a 1:24 Ferrari Sharknose, any idea what make?

49624532378_1eed0a7262_z_d.jpg49625322007_2d59db09b1_z_d.jpg

No idea what this 1:32 car is.

49625321877_dfd2b894b1_z_d.jpg49625049191_d5c6f5aec1_z_d.jpg

Plastic chassis type?

49624532338_da83a6e5f9_z_d.jpg

This looks 1:24

49624532218_00307cc987_z_d.jpg49625049066_32d1c67ff4_z_d.jpg

No idea on this chassis.

49625049146_33560f7532_z_d.jpg

or this one either.

49625049001_14e532b600_z_d.jpg

Any help identifying any these is much appreciated.

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt ... some info for you.

PIC1

Undoubtedly Midori (Japanese) brass chassis. I raced several of these back in the 60s, and sold two mint-in-packet kits on eBay a couple of years ago. The kits contained multiple brackets that allowed the use of FT16 and FT36 motors in endbell-drive or can-drive configurations.

PIC 2

As Munter said the chassis/motor combo appears to be Atlas type, but the body appears to be a San Marusan Ferrari Sharknose ... the clue is the 'hump' just forward of the cockpit which was used to strengthen the front mounting post. Still have a couple of these with the Marusan aluminium chassis.

NOTE There was a suspicion that there was a connection between Atlas and Marusan as the logos used on packaging of products were very similar.

Not sure whether the 'connection' was official or not!

PIC 3

The body seems to be a Porsche Carrera 6 with the standard canopy missing and a home-built 'spyder' roof added.

Again the motor/chassis combo appears to be Atlas in which the extended sides of the motor served as the rear bearing holders.

The brass front end of the chassis was screwed to the front of the motor and allowed for adjustable wheelbase length.

PIC 4

Not sure about the nylon chassis but definitely a Mabuchi FT16 motor. The wheels appear to be the push-on types that were fitted to the Japanese 'Hit' brand of slot cars, Still have a stamped-steel example of a 'Hit' chassis in my collection.

PIC 5

I have seen one if these previously but can't recall the brand. The brass crown gear and threaded wheels could suggest it's Japanese in origin.

PIC 6

Another Atlas type chassis/motor combo. As Munter suggested it would not have been unusual for enthusiasts to fit an 'after-market' body to the Atlas set-up because of the adjustable wheelbase.

I still have a couple of the Atlas combos in my collection and at one stage tried fitting an Airfix Ford F3L body to one. That UFO (UnFinished Object) is still sitting in a box somewhere at home.

Den

Thanks for the information Den, much appreciated.

Good to know what fits the brass chassis's. Have a few motors floating around I'll see if they're the correct ones.

I have a couple of the HIT chassis here and the wheels on the plastic chassis do look similar to what is on these.

Looking at the yellow (Porsche) car it looks as if it's not the correct chassis as it doesn't suit the body posts in the pic.

The Sharknose looks to be factory fitted John.

At least with the information I can do a search on the net and try find some pics of the same cars/chassis.

cheers

Matt

Big Den asked he to post these pics for you Matt.

b_233625.jpg

b_233919.jpg

My top shot of Shark-nose body shows it is the same model as in your pictures.

The underneath shot of body and Marusan chassis show how the respective mounting posts and chassis holes line up.

Marusan/Atlas may have factory fitted the chassis in your picture but I'd be leaning towards the aluminium chass in my picture.

Big Den via Kalbfellp

The plastic chassis may be from a Revell or IMC home set car both have similar mountings.

Edited by kalbfellp

Cheers Pil/Big Den,

Looks like the chassis isn't the original then.

I did have a search on the net and couldn't find any pics of the Ferrari Sharknose, no matter I can only restore it with what I have any way.

Closest I've seen for the Yellow Porsche Carrera 6 is a pic of a MRRC one on the LASCM site.

cheers

Matt