M2 X 2 Grub Screws A Biosecurity Risk

21 replies to this topic

#1 Wobble

Electric model car wrecker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

The post person arrived to day with a small package that I've been waiting for which contained (past tense) M2 x 2 grub screws from tebay. This evening I opened it and to my surprise there were no grub screws but instead there was a letter from the Ministry for Primary Industries. The letter tells me that a package of seeds addressed to me has been intercepted by the Ministry for Primary Industries at the International Mail Centre and as they do not meet the requirements of the Biosecurity Act 1993 they have been DESTROYED (and just like this it was in capitals in the letter also) pursuant to Section 30A blah blah blah and in accordance with Chief Technical Officers Direction dated blah blah blah.

OK so they are small and black and might even look like seeds to the untrained eye but do screws smell like seeds to a Beagle? Or is the Chief Technical Officer just not very technical?

But it's OK, I'm glad those guys are on the ball stopping nasty's coming into the country but I really wanted to grow a screw tree.
Posted Image

#2 bov

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Which only goes to show that Ministry for Primary Industries is truly screwed.....
Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go
2. What's the Lap Record?

#3 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

The beagle probably didn't pick it, they're pretty smart.

My guess is, that it was the X-ray operator....

I wonder how they DESTROYED them?!?!
:huh:
Steve K.

#4 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

It obviously wasn't the beagle, they're smart. Every time we come through immigration I want to pat them but it's a total nono.

"Jeff, those nasty seeds we intercepted yesterday, I think they're alien. I've run the furnace three times, put the blow torch on them, they just glow then sit there leering at me, shall I call Fox & Scully?"

"Roger, I've had a look, you're right, they appear to be biologically engineered to roll across flat surfaces and embed in tubular holes. This sheds a whole new light on plant intelligence, we should ring Dawkins"

"Doctor Smith, I think we've made a breakthrough, those seeds we had sent over from our border control division are magnetic and covered in a hard black coating that appears to be fire resistant. They will be ideal for the Canterbury drought plains, possibly an oil bearing crop"

"Nurse, I was trying to identify a foreign seed, I think it was from an oil bearing plant, looked dark and greasy, took one last sniff, and now I have one stuck up my left nostril"

"Westy, I intercepted that package for you, that should slow the southern builders down, the grub screws are now in the club general parts pool at club"
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#5 dangermouse

Kart Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

They are grubs of the screw variety - they can worm their way into woodwork and cause no end of trouble...

That has to be the all time winner for me - can you contact them? and let them know their stuff up - eg send a screen shot of the purchase off eBay... I would be wanting to know how they destroyed them as well - because it would have been obvious that they weren't seeds if they tried to flame them....

Edited by dangermouse, 17 May 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#6 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

This is great, I'm forwarding this link to my brother who works in border control in Auckland.
Not this section though.
Cheers Grant
Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis ($15+pp)

If life gives you lemons, take them, free s#!t is cool.

Instagram:.....__ZeGas__

#7 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

A great story, Bram.....please share it elsewhere.
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#8 Wobble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for your (sym/em)pathetic comments lads. I have emailed them and included a link to the tebay listing although a screen shot would possibly have been a better option, but I am not expecting a reply but will update this especially if it's as amusing as how this has played out so far.
Posted Image

#9 Wobble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostZeGas, on 17 May 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

This is great, I'm forwarding this link to my brother who works in border control in Auckland.
Not this section though.

Here you go Grant - 1st of 2 pages. I'd add the other but it's got a bunch of case numbers etc

Posted Image

Edited by Wobble, 17 May 2018 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image

#10 David Carter

Crockett / CrockettNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

I know M2 grub screws are small but they must need glasses to not be able to tell that they are metal with a thread on it

note to self don't buy small black rounds things from overseas
Holdens rule the rest just drool
Posted Image

slot cars are my drug,
ATCC/Bathurst proxy host
NZ Grp5 proxy host.

#11 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

Ah can see where your government is coming from Wobble had nothing but trouble with these pesky little things, seems they get into everything, had a 100 of them escape from their container when they arrived from same place and keep finding them in all places multiplying along the wainskirting , been trodden on in bare feet and had to use a ointment in case they caused infection, even found two nesting in the drawer containing my trunks, wife found them down the hall, in the dunny and had to search the kitchen in case they had escaped as far as that, can see them being totally banned soon :o

#12 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

Just imagine the hysteria at border security if they had been the large 2.5 variety weavel, or the dreaded 4-40 man eater species.
I mean, they must be insidious - and obviously the cause of all those "borer" holes in the wood. They scuttle down them like they know every threaded tunnel.

Oh shame, there are days of one-liners in this.
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#13 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

Mine arrived safe and sound a few weeks back....guess the X Ray machine was on holiday or the beagle was on lunch break.
John Warren

#14 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

I've had a few packs of metric and BA seeds come through, with no problems.
A few different flavours as well, Stainless, Brass, Zinc, and licorice as well.
:huh:
Steve K.

#15 Wobble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

And believe it or not, I have received a reply which is not as amusing as I would have liked but this is it.

"Good morning Bram,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that a Quarantine Officer has opened your parcel and verified the contents, that being 2 packets of seeds. These were removed from the parcel hence you receiving communication from us. It is common for seeds to be misleadingly declared.

I suggest you follow up with your supplier in regards to your actual order.

Kind regards,"

I also replied and made mention of contacting Specsavers and forwarded a link to this thread for their amusement also.

Edited by Wobble, 18 May 2018 - 06:56 AM.

Posted Image

#16 dangermouse

Kart Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

You should have ordered stainless steel seeds

#17 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

So no responsility accepted? no surprises there
John Warren

#18 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

Talked to my brother last night and sent him the link.
He doesn't deal with MPI much but said a lot worse has happened, he thinks this person must be new.
He's had made a few silly mistakes like this when he first started many moons ago.

For the record Beagles can't sniff out seeds or vegetation.
Cheers Grant
Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis ($15+pp)

If life gives you lemons, take them, free s#!t is cool.

Instagram:.....__ZeGas__

#19 David Carter

Crockett / CrockettNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostWobble, on 18 May 2018 - 06:52 AM, said:

Quarantine Officer has opened your parcel and verified the contents, that being 2 packets of seeds.

what a muppet
Holdens rule the rest just drool
Posted Image

slot cars are my drug,
ATCC/Bathurst proxy host
NZ Grp5 proxy host.

#20 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

I wonder if they photographed the illegal content, along with the packaging to keep as evidence?!?
:ph34r:
Steve K.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users