Carrera #1 Gulf Livery Porsche 917K

3 replies to this topic

#1 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

The detail of the Carrera #1 JWA Gulf car (Second place Daytona 24hrs 1970) is astonishing. For a car that cost $59 I am just amazed. The guys at Armchair sent it out that day (I paid for express post) and it came the very next day. Was a couple of weeks before I was able to run the motor in and do some basic tuning. The performance of the car post tuning is absolutely nothing like box stock Carrera at all, completely different car. So far I am happy, but its early days and I will improve on where I am at no doubt. So far I have removed the magnets, run in motor at about 1.7v for about 70 minutes (I was a bit pressed for time, I just hooked up an Energizer AA cell as I didn't have time to organise a bench supply) Added a few grams of weight (possibly not enough it seems) under the rear axle, but the biggest mod was machining the stock wheels to take NSR Formula 1 tyres. I wasn't sure what compound would suit best, so I have tried supergrips first and will try ultragrips later perhaps.

It seems it was worth the run-in, even if it was only short and probably a bit low on the voltage side, because this car has much better pick up than my other Carrera 917k (also magless but with Paul Gage urethane tyres) and it has that sweet motor whine that funnily I don't hear on the other car either. Perhaps its also because I put a drop of Parma oil on the pinion end of the motor, and as the brushes end was sealed... I put a drip on the inside of the can (away from the comm and brushes... at least as best I could) and put the motor upright overnight to hopefully let a bit flow into the bush at the other end. Someone on another forum suggested another method which I will try when I have the time.

The car hops a bit... the tyres aren't the best match to the rim, even after machining... I think it will be just right (and handling might improve) when I apply a bit of nail varnish around the outside of the rims to seat/stick them on better and I'm hoping its tendency to roll might reduce too. The machining was a bit of a compromise as I got the wheel (diameter of the internal step was 17.5mm) down to 16.00mm but couldn't take any more off without the step part of the rim getting a bit thin! (the step is hollow so has limited amount that can be machined off) I think 15.8 or 15.7 would have been perfect and the tyre would have seated a little better on the outer 13mm rim.

Car seems quicker than my other 917k (magless, urethane tyres on that one) but I haven't measured lap times yet, I have a feeling it would have at least a half second on the old 917k on my track, so somewhere around 6 to 6.2 seconds at a guess. (as a comparison, I have done 4.93 seconds with a stock Sideways Huracan GT3)

(edit: I just realised why the motor might be a little more responsive than my other 917k... The other one is equipped with a Carrera digital chip, running in analog mode, also with headlights!)

Lets see how this image hotlink goes...
Posted Image

Edited by Slotspeed, 16 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#2 mattcrackers

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Gulf cars always look great.

I don't have many Carrera cars myself, those I do are still in their box.

Nice little write up.

Matt

#3 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comment :)

I've done a handful of laps (none perfect) that were timed, fastest was 6.25 seconds on my little 12.4m twisty circuit, and looking forward to further tweaking for some more improvements. Its a lot of fun, and very exciting each time I find some improvement! I reckon they could have been a lot better out of the box, if they went with tighter bush tolerances and decent tyres. The magnets just seem to drag the cars performance down until you pull them out!

(edit: Just re-did the superglue trick on the bushings and re-oiled, re-trued the tyres, did a 5.89 on my track, an improvement of 0.36s but that is partly due to getting used to the car. Ideally I should find some better bushings for a better fit to the axle)

Steve.

Edited by Slotspeed, 17 May 2018 - 07:22 AM.

#4 mattcrackers

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

I have read that the tyres on the Carrera cars aren't the best.

I have a Carrera Audi R8 still new in the box, but the front left hand tyre has melted off the rim.

Yeah you read that right, the car was stuck to the display box base because the tyre had melted/sagged to a blob under the car.

I thought it may have been where I store the cars but since 300+ cars are stored in the same place and none of the others have a problem I take it this was a 1 off.

I have found the Carrera cars to be heavier than most other brands too.

Should really get them out for a spin before any more damage occurs to them sitting in their display box. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users