David Carter

2018 Nz/au Grp5 Proxy

2018 GRP5 PROXY

the 2018 GRP5 proxy will be open for entries from Sunday 13/5/18

All GROUP 5 cars must be reasonable scale representations of an original style of Group 5 Saloon, 1/32nd scale.

Fantasy liveries are ok as long as the car looks like it would have run within the time frame of1976 - 1982.

If a car turns up with something modern like Red Bull as a sponsor for example then it won’t pass the ‘tech check’ as Red Bull wasn’t around within the time frame of 1976-1982.

PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY

The onus is on the entrant to ensure that their car complies with the rules

Body

Body must be made from plastic or resin

3D printed bodies are allowed

Vacuum formed bodies are not permitted.

All GROUP 5 cars have a maximum width of 67mm - this is for body, chassis and all wheels.

No external alterations to size of wheel arches, wings, or roof line allowed, other than for the purpose “correcting” one RTR model of similar lineage into the correct body characteristics of the actual version

which raced in a GROUP 5 race or to replace a material type - eg; replace for instance a rigid plastic strut with a “tear-proof” or flexible facsimile to make the body more durable.

nb- wipers, tow hooks, mirrors and antenna are not required and may be removed, all other body and interior detail must be in intact.

Bodies must have a minimum of 3 racing numbers in the standard positions.

All cars must have all windscreens or other clear parts normal for that model.

The window material must be transparent. Vacuum lexan windows are permitted

Wheels must be centered in the wheel arch, +/- 1mm.

No part of the chassis including guide flag, wheels and tires shall be visible when viewed from directly above.

Bodies to be secured to chassis using mounting screws, or manufacturer’s clipping systems, eg HRS/HRS2.

Body float is allowed

All GROUP 5 cars shall be fitted with a detailed 3 dimensional interior with dashboard driver with period helmet, shoulders,

arms and steering wheel

roll cage must be fitted and made from plastic or wire no vac formed roll cages

this allows for a flatter style interior with a base made from lexan,cardboard, resin and plastic/styrene for more

room/clearance inside the body

There is a maximum of 6 of each model (irrespective of livery or brand) that can be entered.

eg; no more than 6x Lancia Beta Montecarlo cars regardless of brand and livery.

Chassis

You may use as your base, a podded or non-podded chassis from such as, but not limited to Slot.it, Ninco, MBSlot, or NSR, or graft/engineer an RTR or home made plastic chassis of podded or non-podded type or graft a pod from one maker into another chassis. Modified chassis must be one piece between the axles apart from motor pods.

the new 3D printed chassis are allowed

PCB board is allowed so long as it not the metal coated type

Metal motor pods are not permitted

front axle height can be set using factory screw holes or you may fit aftermarket front axle adjustment or a styrene /plastic, brass tube or small piece glued to the chassis

The location of the guide mount may be altered to facilitate better engineering, provided it remains within the normal chassis underneath the bodywork.

Only a single guide is permitted.

A reasonable amount of material may be removed from the area between the chassis ribs to allow fitment of a motor/axle cradle

Axle bushes may be glued to chassis or motor pod

Chassis may have tape fitted to underside of chassis/motor pod to eliminate shudder.

Chassis must fit within the body lines. Etc - must not protrude outside of the external body edges

This will give entrants a choice as to how much engineering they are willing or able to undertake.

A minimum ground clearance of .75mm at initial scrutineering is required for all entries, as measured from the front axle to the rear of the car including, chassis, gears, and bodywork.

For remaining rounds, a minimum clearance of 0.5mm as judged on the same basis is required.

Any car not meeting clearance requirements will be run at host’s discretion only, and shall incur a points penalty at each round it fails to meet clearance standards, as outlined in the penalties schedule.

Gears shall not touch the track surface at any time and are subjected to the clearance rule.

BRACING

Plastic or printed circuit board{ the non copper coated version only } may only be used to brace chassis and components.

Metal material is prohibited as chassis bracing with the exception of the following:

A brass sleeve may be inserted in the guide mount hole to allow fitment of a smaller diameter guide post.

The guide mount may be strengthened with a metal material.

Metal rod, plate or tube bracing may be used only between the motor and the rear of the axle/chassis/pod.

metal tube may used for fitting/fixing front axle

WHEELS/TIRES

All wheel inserts must represent what were used by cars in Group 5 races during the period, any other type of wheel insert will incur a penalty.

All tyres must be black in colour, grey or any other colour tires are not permitted

NO SILICON TYRES WHAT-SO-EVER.

No foam content allowed in the tyres and no ‘space saver’ or Delrin front wheels allowed.

Front wheels must be of scale appearance and in contact with flat surface when tested on a set up board – no tripods

Minimum front wheel and tyre width of 7mm

Front tyres may be ‘zero grip’ type or have a low friction coating applied such as nail polish, as long as the coating is clear (not coloured) and is solid and stable, ie, does not leave a residue on the track.

All rear tyres to be a minimum diameter of 18mm at the start of the series.

Free choice of rear rubber or urethane tyres from the following recognized manufacturers only; being Ninco, NSR, Slot.it (any series except silicon), Racer - Sideways, BRM, Ortmanns, YellowDog urethanes, MJK, Dart Hobbies, Paul Gauge Tyres (E-Bay).

Free choice of wheels (plastic, alloy hubs) however ALL hubs must be fitted with 3D wheel inserts replicating the styles of the period the 1:1 car raced in.

Wheels/tyres must not run outside the cars bodywork, ie. if you see wheels and or tyres when viewed from above then they are illegal and must be fitted so as to comply with this rule while still complying with all other rules.

If you are unsure as to what tire to use then I would strongly suggest NSR Super Grip tires. They work very well and last the distance.

TREATMENT OF REAR TYRES WITH CHEMICALS OR OILS IS STRICKLY PROHIBITED

MAGNETS

No traction magnets allowed in any shape or form, this means that “magnet motors” such as the MBSlot ‘DoDo’, blue can Avant Slot motor, etc. are prohibited. A maximum magnetic field down

force from the motor magnets of 30grams as measured on a magnet marshal has been set.

Any car exceeding 30g's down force at scrutineering shall be excluded from the race.

WEIGHT

Ballast is allowed using the likes of lead /tunstun putty, no hard solid metals allowed to be used as ballast

No ballast may be used on any external chassis or body surface ie- ballast used must be mounted above the bottom of the chassis and within the body. Ballast may not be fitted to the bottom of the chassis or outside of car.

MOTORS

Any commercially available motors and hybrid motors can be used with the exclusion of ‘rare earth’ magnet and ‘strap’ type motors and motors exceeding the magnet down force rules. Custom made magnets and or armatures are not permitted.

Free choice of gears, axles, guides, braids and motor lead wire.

CLASS B

Class B cars must adhere to all other Group 5 car rules as well as the following

Class B must weigh at least 75 grams ready to race.

All cars must use either the yellow slot-it/sideways flat 6, NSR 20K Shark, Slot-it 21.5K or 21.5K Piranha motors.

sideways cars must use original chassis but can run inline, sidewinder or anglewinder

all other brand models can use a 3D printed chassis for better engineering in inline, sidewinder or anglewinder

or any dropped magnet box such as used on some Carrera cars can be sanded/trimmed off flat

but the hole must be filled in

all other chassis/guide mount mods are subject to the chassis rules

Motor must remain stock and still sealed.

If the motor appears to have been opened or tampered with then that car will be excluded from Class B and run in A class and incur a penalty

Motor shaft may be shortened for tire or body clearance only.

A small horizontal portion of the sticker that is wrapped around the NSR motors may be removed

for axle clearance and gluing of bracing only (side winder).

If using an NSR, Slot-it orPiranha motor the gear ratio must be between 2.888 and 3.111.

If using the yellow Flat 6 motor the gears must be either 11 (brass) and 28 (yellow) for an angle winder or 9-24 for an in-line set up

schedule of penalties

1: car below minimum clearance 5 points per non-compliant round

2: other non-compliant mechanical issues at scrutineering 5 points per non-compliant round

3: incorrect wheel inserts 5 points per non-compliant round

4: non-compliance other than mechanical { inc. down force } 10 points

5: tyre change - 10 points

6: repair of mechanical failure deemed not to be caused

primarily by accident damage - 5 points

7: remedying of other non-compliant matters - 5 points

8: mechanical, body/interior or marshalling damage repair that is likely caused by,or

has a major contribution from racing accident - 0 points

10: All other non-specified events requiring vehicle work penalty - if any will be based on a principle of reasonable fairness to all entrants at sole discretion and decision of the organizers

Just like in 2017 there will be 8 Races that make up the Series but only the best 7 results will be included for the points tally.

All of the above will be checked during the Tech Check

PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY

The onus is on the entrant to ensure that their car complies with the rules

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi David,

I'll put the #55 Capri in Class B again - hopefully with improved performance (maybe a few more calls to Hawaii....)

Edited by bov

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Ferrari 512BB for me please.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Checking the front tyre rule David , just bought a Sideways Mustang and in standard form front tyres are 9mm , how does this square with the 7mm front tyre rule ?

Oops early in the morning got my min and max mixed up must stop putting water in the scotch, sorry about that, when entries are open will compete again in each class.

jumping the gun a bit here guy's

entries open next Sunday

got to give it a week so everyone gets a chance to see

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Just checking Dave noticed in class B you can use the Slot it 21k which was the older motor i presume that must mean the replacement for that they bought out the 23k is not allowed ?

Think i,ve done it again we can use the older 21k with the orange bell end but not the current 23k with the orange bell end but we can use the black end bell motor from slot it is that right

That's an interesting rule change to the ballast rule but my BB has already been on a diet and is considerably lighter so I'm thinking blue tack should work out OK.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Looking forward to Saurday morning ( I'm 15 hours or so behind you guys) to sign up. Questions

1) In class A lexan interiors can be utilized as long as a roll around is added?

2) Duplicate numbers disallowed or allowed?

3) Any tech data on past top 5?

4) Is there a listing of tracks and lengths?

5) What's a good stariting point for gearing in Class A?

6) When are the cars due?

The other Tony

Edited by Brumos RSR

Like it or not Dave I think interest and excitement can't wait till Saturday.

+1 car picked but will let know on Saturday when official.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Thanks Rossko for putting the info up

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Like it or not Dave I think interest and excitement can't wait till Saturday.

it does seem that way

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Looking forward to Saurday morning ( I'm 15 hours or so behind you guys) to sign up. Questions

1) In class A lexan interiors can be utilized as long as a roll around is added?

2) Duplicate numbers disallowed or allowed?

3) Any tech data on past top 5?

4) Is there a listing of tracks and lengths?

5) What's a good stariting point for gearing in Class A?

6) When are the cars due?

The other Tony

1 - yes that is correct they can also be used in class B

2 - Duplicate numbers are allowed

3 - as above posted by Gas41T

4 - yes I will get that info up soon

we run have been running on 4 NZ tracks { 2 in the North island and 2 in the South island } and 3 tracks in AU

5 - I tend to go for a lower rpm motor like the orange bell slot it, 22k nsr with 11/34 SW, easy to drive is the key

6 - cars will be due about the end of Ausgust but I will post that on Sunday when I open the entries up

will be good to see you joining us

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

That's an interesting rule change to the ballast rule but my BB has already been on a diet and is considerably lighter so I'm thinking blue tack should work out OK.

not any rule change there Bram just edited they way it had been written

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Think i,ve done it again we can use the older 21k with the orange bell end but not the current 23k with the orange bell end but we can use the black end bell motor from slot it is that right

the newer slot it is rated as 23k so would have to fit in class A

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Sorry DC, it's just that "lead /tungsten putty" threw me. I thought it might be some new fangled hybrid putty I'd not heard of but I guess it just means lead or tungsten putty.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Not a problem Dave...

Just helping out, I think the grid is going to fill quickly this year with the US guys as well which is a good thing....

Excellent rules set out Dave

Rossko

Sorry DC, it's just that "lead /tungsten putty" threw me. I thought it might be some new fangled hybrid putty I'd not heard of but I guess it just means lead or tungsten putty.

have you been putting whiskey in the water as well

or is it water in the whiskey either way pour me one while you are at it

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Just a suggestion Dave perhaps existing participants ( those who have supported in the past ) should be invited to put their names up first , if there is gonna be a glut of entries this year, as some seem to be suggesting and any vacant spots left can hen be filled with newcomers , like in the IPS for instance :)

More is best !!!!

Won’t be any different if it’s 20 cars or 34 cars

Ill be happy hosting any number of awesome Grp5 Cars.....

David is running it, organising it and in charge of it Rossko , it,s up to him about numbers i would think, just as long as the people who support David in the proxies , who actually make it possible by entering cars over the last few years get entries i don't mind how many there are, but logistics my friend have to work for all tracks, but as i,ve said Davids the boss man :)