What If?

Wobble

My wife thinks I'm a mad scientist but I am booked in for a hair cut next Friday. Anyway I designed and built this little machine to see if I can run tyres in being as I don't have a track. We had open Group 5 the other night and I got this Slotwings Ferrari out to prep if for the nights racing as it hasn't had much use since it ran in the Group 5 proxy a couple of years ago. At 99gm I thought it was too heavy so I removed some ballast and re-trued the rear tyres and took it to race. It went well so I thought I might start preparing it for the next Group 5 proxy but how could I run the tyres in? Well, this might just do it and it's running on an old 3v cell phone charger and I'm hoping that it might polish the tyres a bit without resorting to any chemicals. Look and laugh.

DSCF5721.jpg

DSCF5722.jpg

DSCF5723.jpg

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Pretty sure it means exactly what your doing already Tim R.

If you glue and true your tyres then your pretty much there.

But having said that I usually run a new motor in, that is give it a good run before racing it.

But sometimes as Bram has said a car that has been sitting needs a run to get it up to speed.

Edited by mattcrackers

Thanks, i run in all my motors and gears in the car, then glue and true the tyres. All my cars sit on my shelf with the rear tyres off the deck so they dont flat spot whilst sitting between races (can be up to 10 weeks between races for some cars). I usually run the car on 3 volts with rear wheels up in the air for a half hour the night before a race to rotate everything and oil and grease where needed then practice/warm up laps before racing starts.

Edited by Tim R

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I think I've found a design flaw with this contraption and it's all to do with the contact patch of the tyres. Being as the tyres usually run on a flat surface the contact patch must be significantly larger than it is running on a piece of thin styrene tube unless the weight is reduced accordingly to compensate. And as we all know flat surfaces are hard to get rotating. eg I had this weirdo teacher at school, Mr Czhernohorsky, who insisted the world rotated. Anyway, I'm going back to my normal truing practice and then running the car for more than a few laps.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg