Flattening an NSR chassis

4 replies to this topic

#1 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Decided a car I had already been setting up, was in need of flattening.
I have the pod screwed up tight, dummy motor and axles to keep the pod and axle holders straight. A sliver magnet under the guide to stop it sagging, while it is pinned from above by magnets.

The small triangle of weight behind the guide is there for life.

As per the picture, I gave it the same boiling water/plate treatment I would give a Ninco, Slot.it or Scaleauto - anything else with a basically flat under-pan.
By chance it sat in the cooled water a couple of days. When I removed it yesterday, the chassis tried to curl up into a foetal position and play mostly-dead.

Posted Image

I have since done another treatment, using 80c water, and without the central pod weight; and this morning it looks to be staying flat.
But I am wondering what others do, as boiling water doesn't seem to agree with the plastic composition of NSR chassis.
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#2 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

If your NSR chassis is not playing flat then the only thing I have heard that works is to let it under the magnets for a week...no boiling water at all.
That is why I do not like NSR cars for wood racing (maybe the new 908 will prove me wrong). For plastic they are great because the wobbling chassis is quite good to cope with its irregularities (admittedly Scaley Sport Track is not that bad...or not as bad as ninco).

#3 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hi Mark,
I'm no expert in the field of plastics but I reckon the NSR's are a different plastic to the others mentioned. it seems to be a softer more pliable material.what if you tried a lower temperature in the water and check the results, perhaps repeating the process a couple of times.
Cheers, Alan

#4 Big Mick2

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

Mark

Have flattened many NSR Chassis using the same method you used minus the pod weight. I put magnets in the same places and have had no problem. I feel as you seem to have found out it was the stress of the weight that caused the bend after the water cooled. That or the pod was being distorted by the weight.
I have always used boiling water and have not had that issue at all for me it could have been the weight or the pod screws done up a tad too tight
Regards
Big Mick

#5 mattcrackers

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

I've flattened NSR chassis's the same but I remove the pod to do so.

Boiling water poured straight into the dish and completely covered the chassis,

allowed to cool and removed a short time later.

Only had to repeat the process on one car so far.

Matt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users