slotmadmac

2018 Jag Challenge

and maybe no treated tyres so we locals that like to do treatments don't get an unfair advantage

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Might I suggest that no one can drive their own car, this would make it a true Proxy.

Happy to go with the flow on this. I guess, like Metrorama, I didn't see this as a proxy. More like a fun gig for the local hoons with invited guests joining in.

and maybe no treated tyres so we locals that like to do treatments don't get an unfair advantage

Jeez Crockett. You're breaking my heart! Happy to go with the flow here too.

Podiums are for short people.

I just looked and these cars have no interior. It's moulded into the body. The cockpit glass clips into the body and that part includes the cockpit roof. It's only about 2.8g. On that basis Munter is off the hook. We will run stock glass / driver.

Edited by slotmadmac

I just looked and these cars have no interior. It's moulded into the body. The cockpit glass clips into the body and that part includes the cockpit roof. It's only about 2.8g. On that basis Munter is off the hook. We will run stock glass / driver.

I'm happy with that but the 3 cars here are just body and chassis with 1 rear axle although I do have a couple of Scaley spurs floating around so running stock everything might be a bit of a problem especially the motor. The only 'black stripe' motors I have are the evil bay ones.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

"Happy to go with the flow on this. I guess, like Metrorama, I didn't see this as a proxy. More like a fun gig for the local hoons with invited guests joining in."

Stick with your original plans Mac.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

I do have a couple of Scaley spurs floating around so running stock everything might be a bit of a problem especially the motor. The only 'black stripe' motors I have are the evil bay ones.

I have some new old stock spurs if you need one. They can be pushed onto another axle. What's the go with the evil bay blackstripes? Are they no good? I bought heaps but haven't used one in anger yet.

I do have a couple of Scaley spurs floating around so running stock everything might be a bit of a problem especially the motor. The only 'black stripe' motors I have are the evil bay ones.

I have some new old stock spurs if you need one. They can be pushed onto another axle. What's the go with the evil bay blackstripes? Are they no good? I bought heaps but haven't used one in anger yet.

I have some spurs here just won't be a standard Jag axle but I've got plenty of piano wire or some axle stock that hopefully will be OK coming from the UK.

Those black stripes are good, I think they've got the edge over a lot of Scaley motors but I sent all my old motors packing as I didn't know which were good and which weren't. If you're happy with those motors being used that suits me fine.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Dunno Dave, I kinda like Mac's rules

his post popped just as I posted

his rules are all good with me

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hey, do not know if this grab your fancy, but after you guys race them, how about sending the top 5 here in auckland for a digital proxy: I will chip the cars and then we (myself and the other digital fellas) run them here in a 2 hours endurance race with simulations (weather/fuel/tyres).

Looking at Mac's pic it would require to make a hole through the lead to let the IR LED shine through (to count laps and change lanes).

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Sounds cool to me but will have to see what everyone else thinks. Do you run on plastic track? Some of our cars will be running deep / wood guides.

Yes, we run on Scalex Sport track. I think the slot depth is 7 mm.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Have a look at the edited rules section. I am going to allow treatment but only using Fuelite - no oils / 226 / secret sauce or extended treatments on treatment stations.

NSR Ultragrips are the tyre of choice here in the Bay. After truing them try gently polishing the tyres with a small piece of rag soaked in Fuelite. I do this at low speed while it's still on the truer. After the axle and wheels have been mounted on the car, get it on the track and run a few laps. The initial laps may see the car 'stuck down' but that soon wears off. Wipe the tyres again with Fuelite and run the car again until the car runs free.

This short process will see the car run quieter, smoother and offer a more responsive drive. All things I like. It's night and day between doing it and not doing it so i suggest you all get on board.

Mac

Sweet poster once again...

Oh, and the Metro Poster + Metro have arrived home safely, so thanks heaps for that.

Lastly, definitely count me in, so, please send me your details, and I'll send some cash your way for the Jag.

Gotta cover those expenses...

:)

I'll send some cash your way for the Jag.

I placed an order for 8 cars with Greenhills. Hopefully they arrive before I head off overseas for a couple of months. Will let you know.

Excellent...

If there is a Castrol one, I bags it...

I had a quick run with my thrown together jag tonight - the primer grey one at the start of this thread. It lapped my track in a best time of 7.205s with 7.3s an easy target. That's not bad for a stock motor / pinion / gear / wheels set up - and it was a pleasure to drive. To give some context, that time would have made it top qualifier in the ATTC Proxy that ran here 2 weeks ago. They had an 18k motor limit too but the jags wide body is a great advantage in the corners.

I am convinced that with attention to detail, alloy rear wheels and lowering the car all round, that someone will crack the magic 7s barrier with one of these old Jags. That's what I am gunning for now.

I’m still sitting on the fence. All going well I hope to be heading off early August. Depends on how the leg heals. I have already had to cancel the warm up trip.

A little off topic to start ...

Around 40 years ago QANTAS ran its last Boeing 707 flight from New Zealand to Australia. Such was the interest from aviation enthusiasts that seats on the flight quickly sold out. Some genius in Head Office then came up with the suggestion that a larger aircraft, a Boeing 747, should be used thus defeating the purpose of having a last 707 flight.

A classic case of missing the point.

Similarly if you are going to have a race for 20-something years old Scalextric Jaguars then there would seem to be little point in modifying them to such a extent that they effectively become modern high-performance slot cars. I don' t have one of the Jags any longer but I do have a Mercedes of similar design and compared to some of the more curious Scalextric designs of that era it is a simple flat pan chassis that goes OK as it is.

The only concessions I would seek if racing it would to be allowed to run wheels that sit truly on the axles and to replace the ancient tyres. There is a French supplier who makes great urethane replacement tyres to suit the Scalextric classics.

So keep the mods to a minimum and focus on having fun.

Oh, those curious designs I mentioned? A typical example is the March 240 6-wheeler with a guide set-up that makes the car appear as if its heading up a steep slope even when it sitting on a level surface. What were they thinking?

Similarly if you are going to have a race for 20-something years old Scalextric Jaguars then there would seem to be little point in modifying them to such a extent that they effectively become modern high-performance slot cars.

So who is missing the point then? ...

... Isn't the point to get them going (almost) as quickly as "modern high-performance slot cars" while "keeping the mods to a minimum and focusing on having fun".

Edited by Wobble
  • Upvote 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I get what you are saying big den

the point is to take a old scaly car and make some simple mods to get them running a lot nicer

it's about the challenge

we run a scaly F1 class with cars that were made in the 70's that have real basics mods and they are now one of the most fun cars to race in our club roster

Edited by David Carter
  • Upvote 1

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

If there is a Castrol one, I bags it...

I don't think that the Greenhills cars will get here in time for me to get you one before I leave on my travels so I just picked up a nice clean Castrol Jag for you off eBay UK. I'll Dm you payment details.