Orakei Racer

1/24 Vintage Mini Cooper

So we just completed our regular Sat morning Grp 5 Digital race series at G's few weeks back and we were thinking awhile back(we like to forward plan),what would we like to run now. A couple of the modellers in the group suggested let's do 1/24 Minis from a static kitset. Size is not much bigger than a 1/32 car, so width wise for overtaking won't be a issue on G's Scalextric Sport track, and you can paint it whatever you want.

So G came up with some simple specs and rules, Paul located an appropriate kitset and supplied some resin heads, Jan made some light weight interiors and away we went building. I struggled with mounting the body to the HRS2 chassis so had to take alot of pics on how the other guys did it on their cars but finally bit the bullet and got it done. Painting and decorating the body was the easy bit. We start the first race this Mon, the cars are pretty even so some hard racing is to be expected.

Here's my entry, it's number 1 as I'm designated Driver 1 on G's race program, nothing to do with me being some sort of hot driver :lol:.

IMG_3853.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3851.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3854.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3856.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3840.JPG?dl=0

IMG_3845.JPG?dl=0

PS Sorry about the in your face size of the photos, anyone know how to scale the photos back to a reasonable size?

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Nice looking car O R. If you're using Postimage, when uploading click on 'do not resize my image' and quite a few options will appear in a drop down menu for you to choose from

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

After a couple of practice and tuning sessions, we realised the kitset bodies were not designed for hard slotcar racing. Paul lost both his front and rear bumpers in one session and developed a crack in the back of his body, Jan lost one of his chassis side mounting brackets and a chunk of paint from his front grill!

I glued my side mounts for the HRS chassis with 2 pot epoxy glue, did the same for the bumpers and back filled the hollow rear portion of the bumpers with epoxy glue to give them more strength. I also added some foam bumper overrides to cushion any impact to my car and anyone else's car - doesn't look as authentic but if it means the cars will last a bit longer, worth trying.

Didn't bother with side mirrors, windscreen washers( they were molded in clear plastic!), side indicator lamps but I did put on the petrol cap as it looks good but it sticks out a bit so it could be a endangered specie!

May need to add some protective tape to the front edges as they are prone to paint chipping.

Anyway time will tell if the bodies last the whole series. it was interesting building the car.

Orakei Racer

Nice looking car O R. If you're using Postimage, when uploading click on 'do not resize my image' and quite a few options will appear in a drop down menu for you to choose from

Thanks Wobble. I'm using Dropbox. Never use to be a issue with the forum, they use to auto resize the pics for you, something obviously has changed.

Just re-read your note, you are referring to the options available with the upload command - will have another play and try reloading the picts again. Thanks.

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer

Hi Wobble

Didn't see any options to click anything just a field box to insert a picture link. Maybe I can do something in Dropbox.

Orakei Racer

Very nice Mike !

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Awesome build OR. I assume digital racing provides more opportunities for collisions & rubbing...

Be great to see the rest of the grid too.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Looks great Mike.

In digital no contact is allowed while racing. The main issue is when you deslot: as we do not have enough people for racing and marshalling we use track calls. But there is a two sec delay before the cars get to a halt and if too close there is the risk of bumping into a car dead on the track.

It also depends which glue you use to put these together: I use GS Hypo which is quite elastic as glue goes and so far no major damage.

I have to post the pics of the other 4 entries.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Here is a video of one of the car doing some laps on our digital track:

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

So after a successful Digital series, we thought it was a waste after the effort to build these cars, to just park them in a storage box. So we thought they would make a good class series on our Club analogue wood track with some updates to make them easy to drive on a wood track. We sourced some more Fujimi Mini kit sets for other club members - though the kits are getting harder to find, HRS S/W Running Kit, specified Paul Gage Urethane, min weight, set gearing range and stuck to MRRC 16k motors - found they ran pretty well on wood track - target times 5.2 to 5.4 sec per lap, not fast but will be a ball with 4 matched cars on the track fighting for position.

Still waiting for 5 guys to finish or update their Mini's then we will have a close running class.

This is my second build attempt, thought it would be easier, but it took longer, the body side braces kept falling off :angry: until I added baking soda to the epoxy glue. Just realised the irony of the main sponsor in light of UK trying to leave the EU, looks similar to Brexit but this sponsor was around alot longer before that.

PS the driver is modeled on the Stig - hoping it will give the car a bit more pace!

IMG_4141.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4132.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4138.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4143.JPG?dl=0

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer