Scaleauto Tyre Truer Shaft

ZeGas

Does anyone know where I can find a 3mm shaft for the MkI scaleauto tyre truer.

Or if someone has a spare that they can part with.

Thanks in advance

Is there anything special about the Scaleauto shaft that you have to have the exact same shaft as Plafit axles are 3mm and come in various lengths, just get one the same length.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

It’s not an axle for a car, but rather the tyre truer.

That said, I was under the impression that the 3mm shaft was just a 3mm axle anyway, and it was just the 3/32 shaft that is stepped.

Bugger.

That said, you could easily make one on a lathe.

Get a 1/8 drill blank (or womp axle) and machine half of it to 3mm (well 2.98 actually).

Calling out for anyone with a lathe, could you please make me a shaft.

Happy to pay costs.

Thanks Rossko,

Much appreciated, let me know postage cost, or if you like, I'll throw a chassis your way.

Thanks Rossko will PM

Looks sparkly, great clean job.

Rossko, ya don't by chance have rusty things lying around that have mostly 3mm with some 2.38 (3/32) on one or both ends LOL....

I have a Unimat lathe, but not set up well enough or usable on a plastic resin table right now - and I can't see the missus taking too kindly to coming home to a lathe on the dining table. ;)

And no, Hudy shafts don't cut it. The 3mm is right, it's that the "3/3nd" is actually about 2.355mm - even NSR wheels are loose fit on them

Been a bain of my life ever since I bought a Hudy

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 1 month later...

If I can do the below, I reckon anyone with a small lathe can Zegas

Having the under-sized Hudy shafts, I have never been confident using the Hudy to true rubber tyres.

My NSR lathe has a very gentle truing of tyres, with the lateral rotation system and is unique in that, but only comes with . . well that 2.37mm wheel axle,

so no use for 3/32nd / 2.38mm axle as on most other brands of car.

Well, have lathe will turn - Sorry for the blurry picture

A few days ago a pile of 3mm RC axles arrived; and as both Gas41T and Rusty have said above, I discovered that these lathes are using shafts a fraction

under the rough-ish surface "3mm" of common axles, as they would not go into the bearing race on either the NSR tyre lathe or the hudy main shaft holder.

A bit of rat-cunning, one failed attempt where I got a bit impatient and turned down the shaft too much, a lot of patience and one failure later,

I have produced the axle at top. The main part is a smidgen under 3mm, and a smooth, snug fit into both Hudy and NSR lathe front shaft holders.

The stopper is an old 3mm axle one from Slotting Plus, and at the right hand end, it steps down to roughly 2.38mm - well NSR wheels won't go onto it,

Slot.it ones will; so it must be close to right.

axles2.jpg

Today some 3mm brass tube turned up, so I cut some off, allowing a few cm "waste" for what would get clamped in the main chuck of the lathe.

As with the 3mm axle shafts above, I had to polish down until it would slide into the ultimate home - the main shafts of both the tyre lathes.

I then reamed out the hole in the tube from 1.5mm to 3/32nd (2.38mm) - laboriously over about 30 minutes.

I then mounted a Slot.it axle into the chuck in the tail stock, spun up the lathe and simply rammed the brass tube over it using the hand feed on the main spindle.

There was screaming, there was smoke - and a little sweat from yours truly

..... could be a rock concert

It was a very tight fit

But that axle is now seated tight as in the brass. This expanded the brass collar maybe a thou or two, so I had to turn/polish it down a fraction again

until the tube would pass all the way through the ball races of the two tyre lathes.

The resulting shaft at bottom of picture is also a fit into both the lathes. So I now have two 3mm to 2.38mm step downs produced by two different methods,

and can make better use of these two tyre lathes.

This is my little pride and joy - undoubtedly a giggle-fest for guys with a Myford or commercial lathe, but with some patience I am finding I can accomplish

some very satisfying tasks with this wee thing.

unimat.jpg

I now make the router bits for rebating track braid on it, which it achieves with very little fuss.

That also means anyone wanting one with an odd diameter guide pin for wider or narrower main slots - - - - "pffff" piece of cake.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: