munter

Has The Hobby Taken A Dip In Popularity?.....again.

I think Axman has flipped the coin to both sides well.

Each serves a purpose, and FB or Instagram - even twitter etc, are more likely front doors, especially for anyone with a grey hair deficiency.

But then the answers on the actual format of those mediums are limited. It is possible to give a bit better quality answer in the interspersed text and picture format forums allow - and to save or search for it later.

I've been pointing a few guys from the NZ Slot Racers F.B. page to here, best of both worlds.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

I was on facebook the other night and one of the groups had a clip of an interview by a reporter on slot car racing...

It featured a big club somewhere in middle america and the main story centered around an old guy that said...

"Most of the drivers in our club are over 60 but everyone in this room is about 16"

The point he was trying to convey is the baby boomers are retiring and looking for things to do.. and they are the ones coming back to slot cars, they've already done it before, we've just got to find them and hopefully they will get hooked again.. this time with deeper pockets and after all, they were the ones that started the slot car craze. So, lets target them.. lets face it, they're too old for other passions like track, field and footy, but most have raced slotcars as a kid and they're still fast!

Edited by axman

"Most of the drivers in our club are over 60 but everyone in this room is about 16"

Love it

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

You don't ever loose it axman in the flush of youth i was 19 in 1963 when i started racing slot cars which put me in the middle group of age then , people came and people went but we had a mainstay around 15 who saw the 60,s out , and over here a lot of clubs folded around that period due to lack of model shops as they were closing in great numbers and with the take over of 1/24 and the raceways the sport got quite expensive finished in 72 by then it was have slot car box will travel until there was no where to travel to, so got on with married life.

Made a brief comeback in 1989 for a couple of years at a local slot stox cub run by a ex member of our club from 1965 but just running round basically a oval was not my thing so once more i retired until in 2013 i found Slotforum and a article by Ember about proxy racing caught my eye so contacted her to find out more , never thought about building cars for others to race but liked messing about with them so once again returned to slot cars, but nowhere to race and having built a big 2 lane Carrera circuit proxy racing it was.

Out of our old Hornchurch club from the 60,s know of 5 old members who have returned to slot cars , so once in the blood always in the blood.

• Upvote 1