4 Hour "group 5" Fund Raising Enduro 2018

shadow_rusty

Hi all,

Given that it's been about 2.5 years since the last one (2015 4 Hour Enduro), I feel that it's way past time to re-run this event...

This event will be run on 26th May 12th May.

Update: Charity Changed to Beyond Blue.

Due to recent challenging family circumstances, I'm changing the Charity for this event to "Beyond Blue".

They have helped / are helping, my family through a very challenging time, and they also help 1,000's daily...

If anyone is unable to attend, but would like to donate, please visit the EveryDayHero Page

Further details will be going up both here, and on the Way2Fast Facebook Page soon, and team registrations will gladly be accepted here, or there...

Thanks

Michael

Edited by shadow_rusty

2018 Rules

(Subject to minor changes, but should be correct)

Date/Time:

Date: 12th May 2018. <-- Updated Date

Event to start at 12:30pm.

Track to open for practice at ~12pm.

Expected finish of 18:30pm.

Entry Fee:

$60 entry fee per team, irrespective of number of drivers.

Spectating is FREE.

Buying drinks / snacks if provided is encouraged.

Additional donations are encouraged.

Race Format: (Updated 2018)

This event will be setup as a 4 hour fuel race, with a total of 4 hours of track time.

So, if we have 8 teams or less, the race will consist of 8x 30 minute heats.

If however, we have 16 teams, the race will be changed to 16x 15 minute heats.

All teams will run in each lane, and are to change drivers at least twice per heat under power.

Driver change is encouraged to occur whilst pitting, and driving is to be shared equally amongst all team members.

Race will run on a pre-programed schedule and will only be paused if there is a major incident.

Note: Teams are to be a minimum of 2 drivers at all times (1 driving, 1 marshalling), but I recommend 3+ per team.

Car Eligibility:

Eligible to any "4th Generation Group 5 - 'Special Production Cars' (1976 to 1982)".

Also eligible is any, similar era, "Silhouette style", with "exaggerated body styling", car in the same spirit as as the above. (i.e. JSPC / ISMA GTX / DTM).

Note: Group 4 cars like the Fly BMW M1 are not eligible.

Body / Interior / Chassis:

Cars to be run must be plastic RTR type cars, and the Chassis / Body must be as provided by the manufacturer.

Bodies may not be modified, but need not include wipers / mirrors / Antennae.

Wings should be fitted at the start of each bracket, but are not forced to be re-fitted during a heat.

Interiors are to be as supplied by the manufacturer, but where they are a full tray, they may be lightly shaved on the base to assist with body float.

Chassis / Pod may be braced to reduce flex.

Chassis may be trimmed ~1mm each side to assist with body float.

Guides and body screws are open.

Note: Light weight interiors are not permitted, and the chassis may not be braced with magnetised ferrous metal (i.e. Steel / Iron / etc.)

Motors: (Updated 2018)

All motors are to be un-modified standard slot car motors with their appropriate label still fitted.

Factory Podded cars (i.e. Sideways / ScaleAuto) are limited to 20k FC-130 (i.e. NSR Shark 20 / ScaleAuto SC-08B) or 20k Flat-6 (Slot.it Yellow Flat-6) motors.

Un-podded cars (i.e. Carrera / Fly / Revell) are limited to a max of 23k FC-130 (i.e. 18k Scaley / NSR Shark 22 / Slot.it Orange 23k) short can motors only.

Motor wire is open.

Note: Carrera, SCX, Fly 'Classic' style 'pods' are considered to be unpodded.

Note2: Ball raced motors (i.e. ScaleAuto "Blue") are not legal.

Gearing / Bushing / Axles / Pods:

Pods are open, and may be exchanged for another type (i.e. Angle winder for Side winder).

Podded cars are limited to Angle-Winder with 11:28 (Sideways) / 11:27 (ScaleAuto 'R Series') gearing, or Side-Winder with 11:36 (ScaleAuto RT3), 12:36 or 11:32 (Slot.it) gearing.

Un-podded cars have open gearing.

Axles / Bushings are open for all cars, but all axles are to be solid, and bushings are to be either plastic or bronze.

Magnets / Weight:

Magnets are not permitted.

Weight is open, but should be located inside the body and firmly fixed in place.

Note: Any weights under the chassis will need to be approved by the track owner and race director.

This is not encouraged, and will not be approved if the clearance is less than 1.5mm to the track or there is significant space inside the car for weight.

Tyres / Wheels:

Tyres are limited to MJK only, and should be similar to the original dimensions of the tyre provided with the car when new.

Alloy wheels are allowed, but once again, they should be similar to the original dimensions of the original wheel provided with the car when new, and must contain an appropriate insert.

Note: Suggested Sideways/ScaleAuto Tyres are Proslot 21 / Slot.it 20x10, and suggested Fly tyres are Fly Capri.

Special Notes: (Updated 2018)

Cars are allowed to be swapped out at any stage, but all cars are to be used by the team should be scrutineer'd prior to the start of the race.

Edited by shadow_rusty

• 3 weeks later...

This event is tentatively being scheduled for May 26.

Just waiting to confirm track availability...

Edit:

Track availability has been confirmed...

Racing will be on the 26th, which means that for us Canberran's, we can go racing on the Saturday, and still have a 2 day weekend with the family, due to the public holiday on the Monday...

:)

Edited by shadow_rusty

Technically my favorite car, the SCX Audi GTO is eligible but the rules are too restrictive. There is no-way it would be competitive against a Scaleauto Group 5 unless it's allowed a different chassis.

Why the chassis restrictions, they only hinder car choice and no-one enters an enduro to come 2nd.

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

The reasons for the class restrictions are to simplify the event, whilst maintaining some parity.

For example, my MRRC Celica with an Orange Slot.it motor if moderately competative with both my Sideways and ScaleAuto podded cars.

I also think that with a little work, it would actually be quicker, but just a little harder to drive.

Whilst I do agree that 3d Chassis will be the future of Enduro events, I don't think that Canberra is quite ready for them...

They are definitely something that I will be considering for next year (Hoping to make it an annual event), but I may restrict them to podded rules, regardless if they have a pod.

And yes, the Audi is a great car, and I love mine too...

Runs really well with the Pro Turbo 4wd, 10t pinions, and MJK's all round. :)

Due to some extremely challenging times in our family, I've change the beneficiary charity for this event to be "Beyond Blue", who provide anxiety and depression support for many Australians.

It is my hope that we will be able to fill the track, and provide some financial support back to them.

If anyone is unable to attend, but would like to donate, please visit the EveryDayHero Page.

logo.png

Edited by shadow_rusty

As long as the original mount closest to the axle is used, all is good.

That leaves 2 options.

1. Use the can end, mount the pinion on the end of the shaft, and use an axle mount to centre the axle.

2. Open up the hole in the mount to allow the end bell to fit inside the mount. The shaft is then long enough to centre the axle.

I've had quite good success with option 2 on SCX rally cars when fitting a scaley 18k.

Puts them on par with the scaley cars in terms of speed...

And yes, I'm very tempted to do the same to mine.

Rules should now be finalised.

Major changes are to allow up to 23k motors in un-poded cars, changing how scrutineering of cars for teams running multiple cars works, and to make accommodations for more than 8 teams to enter.

Really looking forward to this event now...

Images of a couple of eligable cars...

Lancia Stratos - Group 5

2474.jpg

Lancia Beta Monte Carlo

Lancia.jpg

BMW 3.0 CSL

6ac3689117c7c7ae9019a87d5166f46d3eae12e6.jpg

BMW M1 - Group 5

384460ad52bd5cd9d024de5addf2c72b.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

It appears that there is a conflict with another event on the 26th.

I'll be discussing our options with the track owner tomorrow, but the end result is likely to be that this event is moved forward to the 12th...

ps. Bugger...

:)

Edited by shadow_rusty

WHAT???? I can't build a race winning car in only 1 1/2 months!

There's wheels to get trued by Eskimo pygmies and body to be lightened by slow etching in titanium megamoneyite (and everyone knows how long that takes).

And how am I going to organise a babysitter with such short notice?

May the downforce be with you.

Yep, those babysitter waiting lists can be a real pain...

OK, so, it is now confirmed that the date has been changed for this event.

Unfortunately, it was confirmed that there was a clash with another event that our members were planning on attending, so we have moved this event forward to the 12th instead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A massive thanks to all that turned up, and a special thanks to those that made extra donations.

A total of 6 teams ran, with some very close racing had.

The best part though was that we raised $450 for Beyond Blue.

Thank again.

Michael

Full Race Results - http://users.on.net/...3T12.22.08.xlsx

Drivers - Laps

Alvaro/Paul - 1921.047

Phil/Mitchell - 1880.768

Ben/Michael - 1861.463

Dave/Mike - 1853.484

Jason/Steve - 1822.032

Roger/Mick/Paul - 1810.537

Edited by shadow_rusty