Track Repainting

toast

hi all, in the coming weeks i will be repainting the track and so am wondering what everyone thinks is the best paint to use , it currently has Dulux suede effects., and it provided excellent traction however the day has come where the track needs a repaint, so what does everyone think is a good paint to use , have been told that ferrodor is becoming a pain that everyone is moving away from , so what /where from now

cheers toast

Hi Toast. I went with Dulux Designer Suede at OntheFlipSide's suggestion. Still holding up pretty well. Yeah, I know mine is on plastic, but the outdoor hill climb paint looks great too.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Toast,

My track is really for fun rather than serious racing. With that in mind I recently repainted my track and found a curious thing.

Now previously I went with any paint as the primary coat and then put two coats of Cabots CFP Floor over the top. The grip is excellent, I did this again this time. It holds the cars in place but allows for drift rather than tip if a bit hot into the corners.

To get the look I was after (snow scene) I used a white enamel spray and thought that might not give very good grip, which I wanted as it is snow, but the grip is pretty much on par with the CFP.

This is for both rubber and urethane tyres.

So now I'm thinking you can probably paint with anything you like, if you don't like the grip coat with Cabots CFP floor.

Having tried gritted paving paint and Dulux Suede previously I personally wouldn't go with either again a smooth track is best imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Toast,

I used wattyl gloss paving paint, we run MJK and BRM e22 but other tyres work OK too with varying degrees of success. It's pretty easy to keep clean I usually get away with a vacuum to get up the big bits of dust and fluff and the go around with a micro fibre cloth and occasionally with a damp cloth followed by the micro fibre. It gives good grip in most conditions, tyres wear better and and it rubbers up well without leaving lots of nasty black lines also there's less damage when your toy lands on it's shiny side.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

• 1 month later...

I'm a firm believer that it does not matter what paint you use, it's all about the surface preparation. I lay down a heavy coat of primer, then sand it as smooth as I can.

I then use a fine roller to apply whatever indoor semi gloss was on special last week, and I have had great results. And I have painted over 70 tracks in the last few years.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.