Sign in to follow this  
drw21

2018 Nsr Challenge In Nelson

WHAT!!!!!!!

The pix have vanished.

Can any one tell me why? They are still hosted at the same place.

On another note, we now have 48 confirmed drivers.

11 more than last year.

It's gonna be another great weekend.

Edited by drw21

Dave - if you host with Postimage, you will need to update the links. They have changed their base site.

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks Mark, I sort of thought that may have been the case, (nice to have been warned).

I'll repost the links soon Guys.

Don't forget to bring your old school sports car for the fun race on the Sunday, Slot-it's, NSR, Thunderslots etc........

Dave

if you want a quick fix, send the existing pix to me. I can upload to my server and either give you those links - or as a moderator, I am able to edit your posts to get the new links in there.

- For the fun race would a Slot.it Matra or GT40 fit the class ?

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks Mark for the info.

Yes those Slot-it classics sports cars are exactly what we are looking for to put on the grid on Sunday, along with other similar cars.

Made the long trip to Nelson last night to see how my P68 is running. Only thing I can say without cursing is those damn 908's are quick.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

The countdown is on !

A full field of 50 racers including reserves .

Don't forget the swap meet and the Thunderslot and classic sports car shootouts on Sunday .

The field of 48 has assembled in Nelson for the 5th running of the NSR Classic Challenge Cup.

Scrutineering has been completed, now they are waiting with bated breath for the 7pm start of qualifying.

I will update proceedings later.

Qualifying is done and dusted. Local guy by the name of Tony Cook topped the proceedings with an excellent time of 4.041. Just 2 hundreths of a second in front of another local, Matt Watkinson on 4.043.

Rounding out the top 10 were Dion de Graaf(Whangerei) 4.08, Alan Simpson(Nelson) 4.15, Adam Bidwell(Blenheim) 4.153, Dave West(Auckland) 4.171, Graeme Saxton(Dunedin) 4.174, Neil Bidwell(Blenheim) 4.175, Split Heath(Nelson) 4.186, Andrew Vessey(Australia) 4.196.

Some very close times there so the racing should be frantic.

And yes the racing was frantic.

8 heats of 6 drivers. They were grouped together in sixes from slowest to fastest from qualifying. 4.5 hours later round 1 was complete with local Alan Simpson covering 169.12 laps in 12 minutes. Closely followed by 2 other locals, Matt Watkinson and Tony Cook on 168.24 and 165.36 laps respectively.

The next 7 spots were Mark Millings(Westport) 165.26, Dion 164.4, Graeme 164.1, Neil 162.9, Dave 162.84, Adam 161.88 and Split 158.76.

In round 2 the groups are shuffled to reflect the new standings and the race is on for victory.....more to come later.

A quick video snippet from the weekend - sorry, a bit rough, but very busy today.

http://youtu.be/g8QhJmdSstI

Final score - Slot Racing 48

Hissy fits - Nil

Satisfaction - 20/20

classic2.jpgclassic1.jpg

classic4.jpgclassic3.jpg

Best I did was 154.8 for 17th out of 48 in race 2, and 19th overall.

a mere 4 laps less than Split feels like some sort of accomplishment.

The jafa export did very well, overall 12th place. Paul was near the tail; but that was due to a mechanical failure not of his own making. He lost most of a heat in one race, and some laps in two others.

Had all been well, he'd have probably been about where I was or above.

They did manage to score a couple of goodies at prize-giving for being the furtherest travelers. Hence the smiles in the video shot - or that might have been due to it being post dinner and post drinkies; we'll never know.

Paul is heading home tonight. Drew is staying on a few days in Ork-land

You should pop yourself on a plane down to the Bay in September for the DTM Classic Alan

Congratulations to Tony Cook and his crew. Great effort and a very enjoyable experience. I will definitely be back next year. Special thanks to Dave West for scrutineering, Sue Cook for running the show racing wise, the gentleman who toted up all the scores (sorry forgot name) and for my fellow competitors for the great marshalling.

The final results were uncertain right up until the end and in my view there could have been any one of 4 possibilities.

The doubts were carried right through to the prize giving which led to much speculation. A big congratulation to the podiumites and a special clap for the lone non-Porsche 908 in the top 12 qualifiers - David Isaac (Graham) Saxton finishing a very creditable 4th. He in fact had a round long battle with last years winner Dion in the second round with Dion just coming out on top to win round but the final was settled over both rounds.

Must also give a special thanks to the Wellington magnet racers for letting me be part of their action. It is great to see how they have improved over the last 3 years.

For my own performance it was great to drive this track for the first time. It was about halfway through the first round that things started to click and I had a much better second round.

Was also good to see some old faces - John Taylor - it was 50 years since I had seen him at the Pioneer Amateur Sports Club when he was about 12. He had hardly changed a bit.

Finally all competitors contributed to the event which was at all times held in good spirits.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

(Racing slot cars since 1960)

Edited by charlesx
  • Upvote 1

Final results have finally been released.

Dion de Graff took out the afternoon round with an impressive 168.44 laps from Graeme Saxton and his trusty P68 on 167.20 with 3rd place going to Matt Watkinson on 167.10 laps.

The overall results are as follows;

1st Alan Simpson Porsche 908 4.150 169.12 166.44 335.56

2nd Matt Watkinson Porsche 908 4.043 168.24 167.10 335.34

3rd Dion de Graff Porsche 908 4.080 164.40 168.44 332.84

4th Graeme Saxton Ford P68 4.174 164.10 167.20 331.30

5th Tony Cook Porsche 908 4.041 165.36 165.00 330.36

6th Dave West Porsche 908 4.171 162.84 164.32 327.16

7th Adam Bidwell Porsche 908 4.153 161.88 164.52 326.40

8th Mark Millings Porsche 908 4.215 165.26 161.04 326.30

9th Neil Bidwell Porsche 908 4.175 162.90 163.02 325.92

10th Scott Waite Porsche 908 4.384 158.04 159.18 317.22

So a brilliant win to Nelson's Alan Simpson from another local Matt Watkinson. What a close finish!!!

3rd place went to last year's victor, Dion.

The newly released Porsche 908 taking 9 of the top ten places, I wonder how Graeme would have faired if he too had "jumped ship" and gone with a Porsche.

All the entrants agreed on one thing, what a great meeting it was. For 5 straight years this event has been undoubtedly the best attended and it is easy to see why. Our hosts Sue and Tony Cook ensure that fun and frivolity(!) take precedence over the desire to win at all costs, sure there will be a winner of the racing but I truly believe that everyone leaves Nelson as a winner in some small way.

The "circus" now moves on to Dunedin where Graeme and the guys host the 2018 Nationals in July.

We'll its now all over till next year and what a weekend it was.

Great to catch up with friends from previous years and what an honour to witness the oh so close racing, even when you weren't driving, the racing was awesome to watch, it really is a great event to be part of.

Thank You Tony and Sue, Donald, Chris and Alan, to most guys this meeting is a social event with some great racing and that is so cool.

Thank You also to Chas, Mark B and Branco for the previous reports, with 48 drivers it shows the depth of RTR drivers in this country, so sad that a few were not able to compete.

I didn't realize till now that only 22 sections separated 1st and 2nd, that's only 1 deslot and 10 sections between 7th and 8th, that's just a blink at the wrong time, how close is that.

A truely great weekend, such a shame we didn't get more pix to post.

See ya all next time - Dave.

Edited by drw21

Dave,

I snapped a fair few pics - some on FB. Would you like me to send you up a disc to pick through ?