Scalextric Guide Mod

slotmadmac

We often race older, lightly modded Scalextric cars as part of our club roster. We race no magnet on wood so getting the guide as deep in the slot as possible is key. Even with a modded front axle to lower the guide in the slot, the shallow blade depth of Scalextric guides can make it easy for cars to deslot. Here is an option to improve that issue.

I started with a stock older scalextric guide and a piece of packaging plastic that had been doubled over. To reduce the final blade width, I filed each vertical side of the blade of the guide down a bit as well.

guide1_zpscbmkdk4f.jpg

I filled the inside of the folded plastic with JB Weld and slipped the guide in place...

guide2_zpsgjzbuvcc.jpg

... then I clamped the plastic in place.

guide3_zpspxvqfgvs.jpg

When it was dry, I trimmed the plastic to the same size as a Slot It wood guide. That got me here:

guide4_zpsnexss4c5.jpg

Variations of this idea must have been done before but I have to say that, after cleaning up any residual epoxy, I am very happy with this outcome. The bond looks rock solid and hopefully track time proves that's the case

I'll let you know how track testing goes. Hope this was of interest.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

I filled the inside of the folded plastic with JB Weld and slipped the guide in place...

... then I clamped the plastic in place.

guide3.jpg

When it was dry, I trimmed the plastic to the same size as a Slot It wood guide. That got me here:guide5.jpg

I'll let you know how track testing goes. Hope this was of interest.

Thanks Mac, is this the JB Weld you use? https://www.jbweld.com/collections/plastic-composite-pvc/products/plastic-bonder-syringe

The Slot.it wood guide fits directly into the Scaley chassis. Are you not allowed to simply replace the guide this way?

Sometimes I use Slot It wood guides in these situations but I like the idea of reworking the stock component and this option means you utilise the stock wiring rig as well. I get a kick out of making the most out of these older Scalextric cars while keeping them as stock as possible and occasionally supply the cars and upgrade parts for club races. 4 new Slot It guides add up.

Thanks Mac, is this the JB Weld you use? https://www.jbweld.c...-bonder-syringe

I used the original 2 part epoxy https://www.jbweld.c...-weld-twin-tube

As expected the guide worked fine when tested and seemed to reduce corner deslots when I pushed the test car hard. I guess the only question is 'will the glue bond last over time?'

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

Interesting solution there...

I've been using the relatively inexpensive ScaleAuto 1/32 guides, but have recently found the RevoSlot ones are very similar, and are even cheaper.

Cool Mac - knew I should have checked your Audi's guide B)

Your comment that your Audi had 'a guide blade the depth of a toenail clipping' inspired me.

Horror flashes of old man's yellow toenails the size of saucers . . . . . may need to take an anti-nausea pill .... but so early in the day for gewurz

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, difinity said:

The Slot.it wood guide fits directly into the Scaley chassis. Then just fit a pair of grub screws in to hold it all together. Needs a bit more work if you still want the front lights to work though.

Are you not allowed to simply replace the guide this way?

What slot.it wooden track guide would work here? And are there any other alternatives to this old type Scalextric guide?