shelbydaytona

Replacing Broken Brass "pantograph" Contacts On Dbr9 Scx

hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on replacing the brass pantograph brass contacts pictured below on a DBR9 Aston Martin. Unfortunately mine have both ends broken just in front of the front axle (just as they rotate 90 degrees as below).

I was wondering if I might be able to cut some out from some thin sheeting.

Thanks

SCX-Aston-Martin-004.jpg

- I have done away with those contacts on my few SCX cars.

Why not just run motor wires, seems a lot easier

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

I dont have many SCX cars but do remember soldering wires from the brush hoods down on to the copper strip....not original but it worked fine.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Your best option is to replace the guide with a conventional guide and use wires back to the motor.

This will require a it of work as the chassis will need to be cut away and a suitable guide found.

Maybe some one can post a pic of a converted SCX chassis.It is not a simple guide change because of the way the SCX guide clips into the adapter. Someone used to print and sell adapters that could be glued onto the chassis to take a conventional guide.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

As kalbfellp suggested, here's a photo of an alternative guide set-up. This is a SCX Ford Focus WRC I was given that was already modified.

However the pantographs although bent are still intact and available if you could be bothered straightening and soldering.

DSCF5685.jpg DSCF5686.jpg

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I don't have any SCX models - but have both a Scalextric Lambo Muira and Ferrari P4 of 1970 era... they had a terrible contact bar on which two guide contacts slid on as the guide rotated - I was always having issues with electrical connection after the models had done a fair bit of running.

I bit the bullet and simply removed the entire contact bar assembly, fitted a platform across the mount to which a conventional guide employing leads to the motor. Both models now enjoy consistent and almost maintenance free running. I'm with Munter and Phil (and Bram) on this one.... ditch the brass power rails and make provision for a platform and guide hole to which a generic guide and leads can be employed.

frats,

Rosco

Keeping it simple....just solder some wires down onto the copper strip.

I dont know the OP or his level of experience and skill...hence my suggestion.

John Warren

Like those above, I too had problems with the SCX contacts,

I installed a NSR guide( from memory a straight in fit, or maybe a brass tube insert first) hard wired the motor direct to the guide, now I have a really nice top runner.

• Upvote 1

thanks Phil, I see that now. Thanks for the enlightenment as I am often quick to type and slower to see and think.

Merry Christmas

Regards

John

John Warren

I've re-soldered the chicken legs back together on a few scx cars...

Seems to work well enough, but you need a good iron and a steady hand.