2017 New Zealand Gp 5 Proxy Round 8 Marsden Park Nsw

Terry

While I wait for the cars to arrive the anticipation is building.....

To have the field so tight bunched there are many scenarios to consider.

Of course the top three positions will be up for grabs, but the mid pack battle is hectic, some could improve their placings, but on the other hand some could slip down the ladder, a very interesting round awaits.

For you who don"t know my situation I will try and explain how I run my proxies,

I live in a beautiful part of the world up here in Nelson Bay, an hour north of Newcastle and 3 hours from Sydney, in this part of the land there are very few slotters and for my regular fix I drive down the M1 for a hour and a half for my club meets every 3 weeks, of course that entails a round trip of more than 3 hours, for me thats the way it is and I don't complain, the racing is well worth it, but for proxy events it does present its own set of issues.

Firstly the distance to get drivers here is a game breaker, especially when you try to organise a time and schedule, secondly I live in an apartment, we love it, but there are compromises to be made, especially with my slot addiction,

My track is housed in our garage, a fair space to play in, but it is in a apartment building and as such eliminates having "guests" over for slot car nights, the noise, bloke language etc etc...

For the last 5 years I have run the proxy cars solo, practice, qualifying , race day, the lot.

I love it, I can run the round without worrying too much about schedules and as a solo driver I can give every car the fairest of races, no one knows my track better than me!

Its not an ideal set up but it is what it is, certainly I have had some very close racing here over the years and I fully expect this round to be no different.

I should point out that every car will get the same consideration, I try to get the best out of every car and that includes the good ones as well as the not so good ones.

If you have seen my race reports from the Tasman rounds in particular, you will see what I'm talking about.

So, enough of all that, bring on Round 8!

Thanks Terry. I reckon that a proxy should be run like a time trial - fastest consistent lapping for each car on each lane. Proxy’s are NOT a race, though even the Tasman falls into that trap sometimes.

The benefit of a driver for each lane as a time trial is that a good performance by one will generally lift the others. If you are racing each lane yourself, you will have the purest race available - like a hillclimb really. Makes for a long day though.

These are a great bunch of cars so you should have a lot of fun. All the best.

I like your style Terry, Good luck

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Thanks Guys,

You are right proxy racing is not a race!

I"m competing in a F1 series overseas and the last events race report started by saying " if you thought Hamilton and Vettels banging wheels was great ,you should have been here this afternoon...."

I had a sense of dread before reading on....

The cars have arrived!

Due to some domestic responsibilities I was unable to get the cars out and on track till this afternoon, the wait has been worth it, what great bunch of cars, there isn't a car in the pack which is daggy knocked about or in need of some running repairs, certainly a nice change to proxies in the past.

I did have some thoughts on this years group5 cars as I ran a round of the "Scratchbuilt Group 5 proxy" back in 2012, then there were cars from all over, as we have this year, and a couple of the cars were very quick indeed, after the running of that round the fastest lap recorded was 4.266, a very quick time.

After the cars first run on the track this afternoon i think most cars are below that time and 1 car broke into the 3 seconds, that really surprised me.

I tried running the cars at 11 and 12 volts and I've come to the decision that I will run the race at 12 volts, the time comparisms between 11 and 12 was that the good cars all ran well on the 12 volts, and ran a tad slower on 11, the not so good cars ran slower on 12 and marginally quicker on 11, the majority of the field ran quicker on 12 volts.

I will post practice times tomorrow morning and hopefully qualifying will be done tomorrow sometime, regrettably our dog is quite ill and trips to the vet have slowed me down a bit,

No probs but my racing will take maybe a day or so longer than planned,

Terry

Edited by terry

Thanks for the update Terry.

First and foremost: while we all likely love our slot cars I think we all recognize that, in the bigger scheme of things, there are a lot more important things in life. So all of us accept that there is always the possibility of something important having to take precedence over running toy cars.

Ergo: do what is important first and get to the proxy when you get to the proxy: I believe I speak for many when I say that having to wait a bit of time for a proxy leg to be run is really, really not an issue in my life!

Also much thanks for the quick feedback on the standard of the cars: as a participant this is great to hear. Oh no, wait, what was I THINKING! I would have preferred to hear that all the cars are terrible and that there is only one wonderful car: MINE! :)

Have fun!

Alwyn

Thanks Guys,

Sally has been with us now for almost 16 years and we fully expect these things to come along at anytime, its just a little weird that these issues seem to surface, always at the wrong time!

070245.jpg

070144.jpg

152629.jpg

I make no apologies' for the dodgy page layout! Formatting the results onto a "spreadsheet" or whatever its called is a most stressful experience.

As you can see some very impressive times, Superslabs 3.990 came out of nowhere, I obviously was getting the feel for the cars and it was one of the last runs, so I'm confident the times will improve across the field once I get into qualifying,

Just as an aside, over on SCI there is a GP5 proxy about to start, the entrants go on about this being the fastest proxy EVER, well after running these cars around I would beg to differ, lets just say that Group 5 is a really quick formula and this field would stand up to any scrutiny.

Edited by terry

WHAAATTT???? I got fastest Q time? I will take a screen shot of that and preserve it forever!

I understand there are likely reasons for it as you described Terry but I will still cherish this. Also understood that the others are expected to go quicker going forward. So the big question: can I please withdraw from the race now so that I can go out on a high before things return to normal? :lol:

From a surprised and grateful Alwyn

Well done TERRY...

I really like your Parc ferme setup...

Enjoy your self best you can....

Sad to hear about your SALLY I have a mini foxi aged 16 & a staffy aged 14 so I'm in the same situation anyways ....

Bring on race day looks bloody close for that top spot....

Alwyn that's because of that rear wing it's top qualified.....No well done you can keep the rear wing my friend!!!

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

Hi Terry,

Here was about to make some stupid comment along the lines of "Take my car to the Vet as well, and get a group discount" - when I realised you had achieved probably it's best showing in the series so far.....

223347.png

We're very much 'Pet People' down here as well, so you have our support and understanding of priorities.....

Have fun with this great group of cars....

Edited by bov

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Terry

My thoughts are with you and the family. We certainly know how important man’s best friend can be. Sally we are pulling for you. Superslab said it all and now he has top Q, it all seems right!

Please have some when time permits.

Aloha

Dale

So kind of you all to pass on your comments regarding Sally, I have passed on your best wishes and she is a little humbled by your comments,

Just to clarify a few things, the lap times I have posted this morning are practice times, qualifying will be done before today is done and there may be some further improvements for some.

Tony, I too was little surprised in your cars time, I did have a couple of deslots where the front end let go and that doesn't inspire me to go too hard,

Alwyn your time is practices don't count too many chickens just yet, theres' a couple of others who may have something to say in Q time.

Tony what program have you used for the lap chart a little while ago?

Hi Terry,

Yes - the front end on the Capri is turning out to be a bit 'hit & miss' - but right now for me it's a hit..... :D (I'm with Alwyn - we can stop right now....)

So, I have a fair bit of computer resources available to me..... What I did was make up a basic spreadsheet in Excel, manually inputting your initial numbers. Then replicated that into a 2nd set of numbers. The 1st set ( LH side) is merely sorted by lap time , the 2nd set (RH side) is sorted by Class and then lap time. Then colouring the range of cells to differentiate the different classes... Saved as a .xls file (excel). We have a screen grab program called SnagIt which captures whatever you want from your screen and saves as a photo image file which my photo image hosting site , Dropshots, recognises - so I am then able to stick that image into my post. And it took nearly as long to type out this description of the process than to actually do it.... :blink:

Edited by bov

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Terry,

Extracted the race file from RaceCoordinator into Excel and formatted in that...for the Bonython round too...

The Porsche drives like a real one - you may need to get the rear sliding a little to keep the guide in. I’ll look at it again before next year...

Edited by difinity

052413.jpg

Qualifying is done, wow! Some great cars here!

i didn't expect to have 5 cars into the 3's, its going to be a really tight race right through the field, most cars have improved on their practice times, which is good, in the end I went with 11 volts, i started with 12 and there was just too much hairy driving with the 1st 2 or 3 cars so I restarted,

Certainly the 2012 group 5 record has been blown away 19 of the 20 cars are below the old mark and for the top car more the .3 quicker, great stuff.

I'll get some more pics done for tomorrow.

Over to you Tony

Edited by terry