International Proxy Series 2018 The Builds

alexis in greece

That's an interesting chassis of Bigtone's, nice to see there will be another C1 next year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing with my car trying different tyres

I’m very happy with one brand I’m holding close to my chest sorry...

But I have some times I’ve achieved on my track

With this tyre and last years top qualifier was a 5.613.....

I’ve smashed that with a 5.382 very happy with the SVS chassis thanks ZEGAS....

NOW THERES SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

Rossko

Unlike some ( Rossko ) don't mind sharing info same as i did last year with the WRP , on the tyre front have set up 3 test cars, the 3rd placed Pink kar 250 GTO at 94,2 gr from a couple of series ago, have been running a lot of laps on Bosa urethanes these tyres look quite like the original Ninco 20x7mm ones we were using even have tread and have Ninco stamped on the side of them but are urethane and fit the PCS hubs very nicely, make sure they are glued and trued first though , on the Carrera track a very sweet car ran it for 4 30 lap segments and as the remaining tread wore of the car got quicker not by a lot but it was better the cornering speed was very good slight break away as you braked then accelerated out of a corner as you could power on early which i do like in a slot car .

The next was last years 4th placed Fly 250 GTO at 88.5 gr fitted with MJK vintage tyres which again were glued and trued and quite a bit was taken of these tyres i suppose round about one and a half mm and the inside edge and outside edge chamfered did the same 4 30 lap segments and the MJK's are very predictable have always liked these tyres not sure what shore they are slightly harder than the Bosa but very good grip straight away no running the tread of as there was not any and on the track very stable indeed the Carera track is quite grippy and i have found a slightly harder tyre compound car goes better on it and you can reel off lap after lap at nearly the same identical lap time.

The last test car is a George Turner Cobra at 84.7 gr using a Zegas chassis now fitted this with a set of Yellow dogs after again gluing and truing took quite a lot of these around half a mm on the inside tyre wall to get in the 7mm rules , and also round about a mm of the overall size Cobra running on MRRC wheels, something interesting with this tyre when new quite sticky and you get black residue on your fingers , have been told something to do with the releasing agent used and if you run them new your car does not break away just rolls chuckle but once you have ground them down not a bad tyre again 4 30 lap segments operate very similar to P/G s which i used in the last series , think Pauls tyre is slightly harder as you don't get the slight sideways flex you get on the dogs , however one thing i did find on my tight esses section the car did not flow quite as well as the others through it think it,s the sudden change in direction but apart from that not a bad tyre.

Well there you have it cars are geared at 9x24 or 10x26 so all roughly geared the same the motor in the Fly is a bit tired but of all the BWA's is just slightly quicker as it laps on rails , been thinking about my entry for this year as i can see there being a very close series ahead, did originally do a Shelby Cobra coupe but that had a big accident so reverted back to a Ferrari either a GTO or have been running a couple of LM's one with Ortmans on and one with P/G's on which seem to be better balanced between track and wheelbase and are lighter round about 78 gr which seems to help the BWA motor, now i think and it,s only my personal opinion it will come down to the weight of the car with the BWA motor in it as to which tyre will operate better , but ultimatly it,s down to the tyre preperation at least to start the series of after that your in the laps of the gods.

Hmm N let's think about it ( ponder ) might be the original Nincos , which i thought were a great tyre especially after a season or two running them found taking the tread of in the truing stage was the start of improving them and they wore down quite slowly and the grip stayed consistant , rather a shame they sort of faded away from Ninco i have a few sets from 20mm down to 17mm have used them as front tyres on classics work very well on them.

Of course you could try Bosa who i suspect have got the moulds as the urethane one's i got from Monte have the Ninco markings on the outside wall , the inside wall is a bit rough from the mould but easy to clean up being urethane, also they fit as good as the original Nincos on the Ninco cars i run them on a standard Ninco jag xk 120 and they are very good on that and not glued on, the Bosa number is 0016 come under Ninco Classic 20.5 x 7 mm and are $5 USD a pair, i can on this occasion say they work very well on wood as well as i have run that jag with them on on a wood track with great success.

I reckon we should ‘grow’ the width to 8mm at the sidewall bulge. While the ‘vintage narrow’ are to scale for most models through to the early fifties, plenty of ‘historic’ race cars like Ferrari 250, Jag D-Type etc from the mid fifties on ran 7.5-8” rims running what IIRC today would be 185-205 width tyres.

8mm at the bulge could be trued to about 7mm on track (giving the ‘right’ profile) and are at least reasonably available anywhere...

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale Targa Florio 1961 driven by Emanuele Trapani (I)/Bartolomeo Donato (I)

26237968028_52e5e70953_c.jpg20180206_090608 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

26237967088_e3dd7a7370_c.jpg20180206_090617 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

40079261852_9cefe489b8_c.jpg20180206_090628 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

40112054711_5a123f74d0_c.jpg20180206_090636 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

39400082544_5cc24f8356_c.jpg20180206_090650 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

40112053561_47c9a78ee4_c.jpg20180206_090701 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

40112052961_d6399f905b_c.jpg20180206_090708 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

• 3 weeks later...