jbabz84

Motor Life Span

Hey guys, this is my first post here

I have a slot.it BMW McLaren F1 GTR with a 20,500rpm motor

Its the stock motor, I was wondering what a motors lifespan was before it starts losing power?

Ive had it for nearly a year now

Is it based on hours or laps raced?

Thanks

Mate if it's one of the early McLarens they had motor issues, sica10b (#43 fina) i think had the dodgy motor. Ordinarily a motor in one of these will last a lifetime under normal use.

An occasional drop of oil each end of the motor will generally help, however if it is 10b that will make it worse.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Motor life will be determined by use, hard, light, often, a little, load ie magnets etc.

I almost never put any oil on the endbell end of the shaft as once it creeps onto/into the com the motor starts to die off.

Found out the hard way during an enduro.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

It sounds like a later model with a Flat 6 angle winder and I have read of some lately having a broken wire inside the motor. You should get a lot more than a year with normal use.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Yes to all the above, and then sometimes they just up and die.

Had to replace a Ninco Crusher in my LMP yesterday. Last race of the season this week and 2 years on the motor. It has run (hard and fast) about 60 3 min heats and how many hours of testing. Fastest car on my box. Suddenly slow. Won’t rev.

This tells me that the brushes have finally gone. On the modern sealed motors that says it is time to replace. (We used to repair the old Mabuchi’s - though that usually meant a rebuild after each race...)

Because these things are a very cheap mass produced motor, they either work for a while or they don’t. Just replace it. Cheers