Vinno

Dick Johnson Zupps Torana

I have been meaning to put up some pictures of the Munter resin Torana body completed and wanted to do something a little different to the norm. I semi finished the car around 6 months ago and planned to put up some pictures but as usual life got in the way. Anyway I was at the Muscle Car Masters yesterday and there she was in all her glory. Being a Ford fan Dick is one of my favourites and when Munter made some resin Torries I had to grab a couple. As Dick ran one I had to do it also. Luckily Patto makes the decals so I picked the 1973 improved production version so I could keep it looking correct with a set of slicks all round.

The chassis is a MRRC aluminium version and the wheels Slot.it 14X8 from the Ferrari 312 and Alfa 33 fronts. They are spot on and fit the car perfectly. I found the Alfa 33 inserts to be about as close to the wheels Dick used on the Torana in 73 as I could find.

From what I can tell in my Dick Johnson books the colour scheme on his clothing is about right. Below are a few pics, from the Muscle Car Masters and the resin version.

Munter you cast up a great body and it goes very well with a 16K MRRC slimline motor.

Johnson%20Zupps%201.jpgJohnson%20Zupps%202.jpg

Johnson%20Zupps%203.jpg

Johnson%20Zupps%204.jpg

Johnson%20Zupps%205.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very nice work there.

Well done.

awesome I love it

yellow and black livery is my favorite and it's on a Holden which makes it even better

well done

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Thanks Vince - you've made my day... pix of a prototype, and your model.

I very much look forward to these builds.... I will alter one of the two to become PB's LC.. from memory, this is where he entered the Holden camp in circuit racing.

I have contact with the chap who put together all of PB's 6 cylinder engines. This chap's brother is a former work colleague. I have been told that I am generating some interest with the building of these two models... may even get him to sign the bottom of proposed jewel cases to house them.... we can't get PB to do it, unless I get a return ticket... the timely subject of which, there has apparently been only one so far....

frats,

Rosco

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, Oldskool62 said:

@Vinno what interior did you use? I am going to do this build as well. Ordered the decals from Patti and am in the middle of doing the body. @rosco01 thanks for the detail inspiration.

Mine is a Munter Torana, he did a vac form interior so I used that. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vinno said:

Ditto OS62... I'm nowhere near ready to play with the interior, but the Munter kit did come with an interior and a driver... even looks a bit like PB himself... 

frats,

Rosco

14 hours ago, rosco01 said:

Ditto OS62... I'm nowhere near ready to play with the interior, but the Munter kit did come with an interior and a driver... even looks a bit like PB himself... 

frats,

Rosco

@rosco01The body is getting there.  I applying  the same logic as when I build a 1:1 car or bike and that is test fit everything then paint and detail.

14 hours ago, Vinno said:

Vince I love that car you built. If my one turns out 1/.2 as good I will be a happy man. 

What yellow did you use?

21 minutes ago, Oldskool62 said:

@rosco01The body is getting there.  I applying  the same logic as when I build a 1:1 car or bike and that is test fit everything then paint and detail.

way to go, OS-62...

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rosco01 said:

way to go, OS-62...

frats,

Rosco

@rosco01I have been caught out over the years detailing things and then find they don't fit. I remember doing a 1961 Triumph Tiger 110 and this happended.

7 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

Vince I love that car you built. If my one turns out 1/.2 as good I will be a happy man. 

What yellow did you use?

It was a while ago but I think it was Tamiya TS34 Camel Yellow. I had already painted a Slot.it white kit McLaren F1 Longtail in it with Green stripes for a race car and when the Torana came along it seemed pretty close. When I saw the 1:1 version I think it was close enough that it worked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinno said:

I think it was Tamiya TS34 Camel Yellow

From the product code - I believe it to be an aerosol, Vinno....?

I am having success with decanting from aerosols into a glass beaker, then allowing it to come up to ambient temperature (takes ages). It can then be bottled and used in an airbrush - with or without further thinning. But, if thinners are needed - I have found it is only the lacquer thinners which will work with it... so, I'm guessing the TS range of Tamiya paints are lacquer..... 

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosco01 said:

From the product code - I believe it to be an aerosol, Vinno....?

I am having success with decanting from aerosols into a glass beaker, then allowing it to come up to ambient temperature (takes ages). It can then be bottled and used in an airbrush - with or without further thinning. But, if thinners are needed - I have found it is only the lacquer thinners which will work with it... so, I'm guessing the TS range of Tamiya paints are lacquer..... 

frats,

Rosco

Hi Rosco

Yes it is an aerosol can and lacquer. I just use cans and if I need a specific car colour go to an auto paint shop in Penrith to get whatever I need mixed. 

Spray cans are easy and heating the can up gives me the desired result. Mine are not perfect although I have to say I was happy with the Torana. 

• Like 1

Thanks Vinno - my suspicion verified.... 

Go a little careful when warming up aerosol paint. One chap from our r/c model aeroplane club used a "Birko" to heat a can of paint to get a mirror finish on a pylon racing plane... it exploded in his face and blinded him permanently in one eye.... no model is worthy of risking that happen.

I prefer my decant and air-brush method.. I have greater control over the result... although the current issue with Tamiya red acrylic would suggest otherwise..

Thanks for the reply... and confirmation...

frats,

Rosco

Just on the off chance - have you sprayed Tamiya aerosol clear lacquer over Patto's decals?.. and, if so - did you have issue with them crinkling?

My bad - just read your OP and know you used Patto's..... any issues with wrinkling or crinkling?.... or, is there a trick to laying down lacquer over them...?

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
append

6 hours ago, rosco01 said:

Just on the off chance - have you sprayed Tamiya aerosol clear lacquer over Patto's decals?.. and, if so - did you have issue with them crinkling?

My bad - just read your OP and know you used Patto's..... any issues with wrinkling or crinkling?.... or, is there a trick to laying down lacquer over them...?

frats,

Rosco

Yes with mixed results. I now hand paint Tamiya clear Acrylic over the decals first, let that dry and then spray clear afterwards. 

• Like 1

Thanks Vinno - I have some testing to do today - and will report on my LJ thread..

If I don't get any satisfaction with what I plan - I'll try to hand paint over Patto's decals with Tamiya clear acrylic... and then overcoat with clear lacquer using the airbrush... 

There must be something in the ink Patto is using which makes it vulnerable to the solvents in paint.... 
I am having success using the Pascoe's floor polish over them.... with an airbrush.... it's a thin as all heck, and will flood very easily... more playing around with the process today.

Thanks for your reply - you have far more experience and satisfaction in results than me.. I take your advice with great respect and appreciation...

frats,

Rosco

Oh and when I say I heat the rattle can I generally either sit it in the sun for half an hour before or put it in warm water for 20 minutes or so. No fast heating or high temperatures.

Thanks for clearing that up for others following this, Vinno..... I was hoping no one would put it in the microwave.... but...... 

frats,

Rosco