steamin63

Track Loses Power

hi all . i'm new to the slot car game so bare with me . i've just purchased a couple of 2nd hand scx sets to set up for my grandson for his first slot car track . cars all work , controllers work and the track is in good to excellent condition. put her together and sorted out a few glitches and away we went . all good for the first few laps then both cars ground to a halt. reset everything , started again but same result. googled the problem and the topic of insufficient power supply kept coming up . so i purchased a new variable power supply, a powertech mp3800. variable voltage , 5 amp fixed . same problem . does a couple of laps then just stops . i'm buggered if i know what the problem is . thanks in advance.

Scx track has self resetting fuses in the power base.

You will need to bypass them.

Alternatively, the motors are probably gunked up which is causing them to pull too much current and tripping the fuses.

Make sure there is no fluff on the axles, and clean out the motor with contact cleaner, and all will most likely be ok again.

Edited by shadow_rusty

i've given the cars a good clean but not the motors . i'll try that next. i've opened up one of the power bases and i can only find transistors . is that what you meant .thanks very much for your help.