Sign in to follow this  
Peter Gunn

Thunderslot Lola T70 Spyder

Well it,s out over here and i had the Gurney and Revson one's on pre order and they arrived early this morning, so what do we have well the chassis and mechanics are same as the Coupe , obviously the body is differant and there is a differance on these for instance the Revson has a differant carb layout to the Gurney one , my personal preferance is the Revson car like the finish better the white and red stripe sort of suits the shape better in my opinion, the body of both of them is very fragile and oh so light at 12.4 gr with driver and cockpit in place , don't care much for the drivers head does not look right but that is something i will sort out myself later .

On the track actually there is little differance between either of them straight out of the box after running in for 10 minutes allowing those rubber tyres to bed in a little , like the 21.5K motor has enough grunt again same as the Coupe , i have adjusted the front axle down a tad as both noses were on the deck and that guide works very well indeed.

Now we come to the price , well £76-50p a car is expensive in my opinion for what your getting so i spent £153-00 plus £4-30 postage on top making £157-30 and yes the missus is still talking to me , just, but i always wanted a couple of Spyders pity i got rid of my Revell one many years ago

• Upvote 1

Pics mate we want pics

- if that's a prob for you, message and send to me, I can load them on my server

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I have a few of these on order for our Club members Christmas car (incl one for me). If like the original coupe, should be a very good drive.

My coupe has a Jack Rabbitt 14k and XPG tyres, and is as quick around the tracks as a race prepped Fly Porsche 908. Almost as quick as my NSR with the same motor, but much easier to drive.

Bring back the CanAm proxy!

Nicked Pete's pics from "another forum far far away"

- Cropped them a bit, so the car is larger on screen

LolaT70b.jpg

LolaT70a.jpg

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

To true Rossko been running both these spyders this morning against my Slot it Mclaren M8D i used in the last series and both leave it for dead on my Carrera track , not only are they quicker through the bends they are faster on a 16 foot straight and out break it, it,s the way the chassis handles so well you can push harder into bends and through esses they are quicker such flat handling, still on the standard tyres which have got better and better, have already added weight in the middle of the Revson one just to see , one thing i have found is that front aerofoil is very brittle and gets damaged very easily hit a bush with the Gurney and had a repair job, but do throttle back slightly at my hairpin after it , great fun these cars and so easy to push, oh well can we have a Ferrari P4 next chuckle , that's if i can afford it .

Yes. I'll set up a comparison between the Thunderslot and Carrera once they come in.

As for brittle - I've lost a canard off the front of the Coupe, after adding some hot glue behind them when new.

If well - this car is for racing!

Extra pics from Peter

LolaT70c.jpg

LolaT70d.jpg

Something i have found running on Carrera track and may be a problem with other plastic railed tracks is how quickly the motor bottoms out luckily i have managed to cure this by fitting NSR Classic tyres 5254 ultras 20.5x10's it,s that extra half a mm that makes all the differance , and for those who prefer Supers try 5253 20.5x10,s both these tyres fit the standard wheels very well indeed and so far have not needed to glue them, and a added bonus cars go even better now and do not stutter on the higher parts of the rails as both were doing

Been racing spyders on the Nelson track since the beginning of September . They are very quick and fun to race competitively .

In theory the hard chassis should be the best for wood tracks but to date we haven't been able to measure any difference .

I have three , two standard and one hard .

In theory the hard chassis should be the best for wood tracks but to date we haven't been able to measure any difference .

I have three , two standard and one hard .

I see a stiff chassis listed as well, I thought that might be the best one for wood tracks.

My coupe has the standard chassis. It just gets faster and faster the more you lap. (Only run on wood tracks).

This chassis is so good I’m looking at reintroducing some flex into my other chassis...

Can’t see how the ‘hard’ would be of benefit really...

At the moment running my spyders on NSR ultras on plastic have one set up standard and the other with hard chassis and springs and there is hardly any difference , and that motor is a little beaut now they are fully run in , but have had problem with ground clearance hence the NSR 21x11's i now use which i trued after gluing .