Pits And Fuel Usage - Analogue

tonka500

Hello,

Thinking of building a new routed track. I'm keen to stay with analogue as opposed to digital, but... :)

I'd really like to:

- have pits where the driver can push a button on the control panel to send their car into the pits when they choose, and

- to have software that somehow records throttle usage and equates that to 'fuel' usage. Stopping on a sensor in the pits allows the fuel to be recharged and that the software display the status of the fuel tank on a computer screen.

I'm currently using Laptimer 2000 and IR sensors on an ancient PC which have been bulletproof but pretty limited in function given its age.

Any how-to's or advice on where to look for info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

I believe that slot master is the only system for analog that is able to monitor fuel usage based on throttle input.

Not cheap for a fully kitted out setup though, and I believe that mode only works through its own software, not the optional race coordinator software.

http://www.slotmaster.com/index.htm

Hi Andrew, the only experience I've had with pushing a button to get into the pits was a couple of years ago a guy used the Peco units for switching the points on a model rail-road layout.

Worked really well, push one to enter the pits and while refuelling push again to close then push the button next to it to get the pit exit open, then you had to push that one again to close on leaving.

Just had to remember to push the buttons otherwise you came hurtling into the pits again next lap :lol:

Chris.

Late Model

Thanks heaps.

I'll check out slot master software and how the Peco units would work.

Man I could just imagine the carnage if you forgot to flick that switch back! :) Wonder if some kind of time delay would work where it goes back after a couple of sec by itself? Beyond my brain power tho :wacko:

Edited by tonka500

Just make it so that you have to hold the button to pit, and when released, goes back to straight.

Race CoOrdinator works well enough for most people, but the only reason I suggested SlotMaster is because they actually support reading the lane for consumption.

Personally, I wished you could set a logarithmic curve for fuel burn in Race CoOrdinator, as with a linear line, it's not possible to create fuel strategies other than "run as fast as you can".

If it was logarithmic, or even 'dual linear', you could set it so that the sweet spot is say 0.25 secs better than the average best lap, and then the majority will be sitting much closer to the leaders at the end of an enduro.

Because of this, you can then have the following strategies.

1. Run hard and fast, pit more often, and hope for the best.

2. Run quick, pit slightly less, and hope that your team has less breakages/crashes due to not running ten tenths.

3. Run slower, pit even less, and not need a top tier car to be semi competitive.

The down side to this of course, is that the race organiser needs to find that sweet spot before the event...

I didn't realise there would be so many options.

Something that tracked how much throttle you used and therefore penalised wheel spin was what I was originally thinking. Liking the simplicity of fuel usage just running off lap times though.

Your logathrimic idea is genius Shadow_Rusty. That would provide some great incentive and strategies. You should patent it!

this was my track, analogue with working pits that were opened with the push of a button. Had fuel racing feature too, using "startline" software with power control done by PC. Track is no longer mine, I think it went to Sydney?

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13839-grefhurst-v2/

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

Accurate fuel based on actual energy consumption for RC analogue will be available in the near future. You will need the Scorpius controller and dongle however. I’m sure later an interface could be built to allow any analogue controller.

Pit entry will be triggered from the Scorpius controller using the Scorpius car decoder rebadged as a wireless solenoid driver. Fueling will be automatic. Splash n dash is possible.

We already have all this in Scorpius RMS powered by Race Coordinator.

The RMS by RC for analogue will pick up 100 updates per second from each controller. RC will update the fuel gauge accordingly. Even simulated tank weight has been done along with tire wear and some other nice functions including wireless track call either from the laptop or from any or all controllers. A safety car is possible if you have a spare lane.

Even record/play back smart cars will eventually translate from Scorpius RMS into RC.

The controller is a frictionless type using a Nordic 2.4GHz RF radio chip. The dongle uses the same set up.

How do I know this is coming? We have been slowly developing this over 5 years and Dave has 4 controllers, 4 x50A receivers and 2 dongles already and wants some or most of these goodies for his own analogue track.

I’m sure Dave will chime in at some point.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Race CoOrdinator works well enough for most people, but the only reason I suggested SlotMaster is because they actually support reading the lane for consumption.

Personally, I wished you could set a logarithmic curve for fuel burn in Race CoOrdinator, as with a linear line, it's not possible to create fuel strategies other than "run as fast as you can".

If it was logarithmic, or even 'dual linear', you could set it so that the sweet spot is say 0.25 secs better than the average best lap, and then the majority will be sitting much closer to the leaders at the end of an enduro.

Because of this, you can then have the following strategies.

1. Run hard and fast, pit more often, and hope for the best.

2. Run quick, pit slightly less, and hope that your team has less breakages/crashes due to not running ten tenths.

3. Run slower, pit even less, and not need a top tier car to be semi competitive.

The down side to this of course, is that the race organiser needs to find that sweet spot before the event...

If you prefer a more DIY solution this can be done fairly easily with a $3 current sensor board, mosfet driver board connected to an arduino.

This would sit between the Throttle and track, or built into the throttle with haptic feedback.

It could also be done by sensing the input voltage on the throttle and output voltage from the throttle to the track.

The mosfet can reduce power to the car when low on fuel to alert the driver. Independently of any RMS.

The Arduino could easily communicate to an RMS for full integration if the RMS supplier chooses to take it on board.

www.sydneyslotcars.com