Are Wider Rear Tyres Better

3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim R

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hi, i have a question regarding rear tyres and grip, i race on routed wooden tracks with box stock scalextric cars of different models depending on the class for that week. The only change we are allowed to make is the use of mjk tyres over stock ones. Ive bought the new bmw gt3, the standard tyres are 8mm wide, I have a pair of tyres off another car that are 10mm wide that fit perfectly and it looks like i can get a pair 12mm wide. Would this be too much grip or is more better?? Sorry for the silly question but im a newby and if ya don't ask ya wont know.

#2 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Simple logic would say that you would gain more grip with wider rubber, but may be too much grip for the car/track and cause the car to tip at corners.

Only way to know for sure is to try it.

There are quite a few areas on slot cars that can be adjusted to tune the car, and tyres is one of them.
Steve K.

#3 rosco01

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

I would certainly not state that I have much experience in this, but what you might like to try is to put a radius on the outer corners of the tyres... this will allow them to "drift" slightly better rather than "flip'..... further, I don't know what your rules are - but with some clubs, the tyres must be within the profile of the body - as in the prototype. Adding additional "flares" may keep within that rule - but it will fail the modification rule in some cases.
Frats,
Rosco

#4 difinity

Difinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

Wider and softer will generally give better grip, though you don't want that all the time. An 8mm tyre properly trued (smooth and without bumps in it) will let you 'drive' through a corner faster and more smoothly than a 10mm not trued.
IMHO, tyre width is less an issue with scale cars - sure makes a difference with wing cars and a 1.25" tyre width...
Horses for courses.
Best to make your car drivable before you go fitting tyres on a rim too small from them...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users