Leds In Track Instead Of Gantry?

aussieslotter

Hi Guys

I will be installing TrakMate lapcounting on my new track. It's going to be a hybrid analogue/ScorpiusWireless digital track. 40m 4 lanes routed.

With Scorpius Wireless lapcounting works like this: Each lane has an infrared LED located flush with the track surface aiming directly up. It's placed 12mm offset to the left, in the car chassis flush with bottom of the chassis is an infrared photodiode that receives a data signal from the track LED. From here it sends a Wireless lap count command back to the RMS.

My question is normally with analogue lapcounters the IR LEDs are in the gantry and the diodes on the track. Seeing I already have the LEDs in the track I'm trying to kill 2 birds.

Can I put the diodes in the gantry?

I don't see any reason not to work but does anyone have any opinions wether it should work or not?

Another question are the LEDs used for TrakMate 3 or 5mm dia.?

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

If there is too much ambient light, it will flood the sensor.

Mounting the sensor at the end of a ~1cm tube the diameter of the sensor will reduce this significantly.

Also, narrow bodied cars are likely to miss laps too.

One of the guys down here is running Trakmate with the sensors in a Gantry and the LEDs in the track.

I know he did have a few problems early on but lifted the sensors into the Gantry fixed the problem.

As for diameter of the leds it makes no difference as long as the wave lenght is very similar.

I have been testing some interupter sensors, but white guides tend to miss a few laps.

Edited by kalbfellp

If there is too much ambient light, it will flood the sensor.

Mounting the sensor at the end of a ~1cm tube the diameter of the sensor will reduce this significantly.

Also, narrow bodied cars are likely to miss laps too.

Thanks,

With the sensors pointing down they should be less susceptible to non infrared light correct?

And as long as the beam is broken bidyvwudth shouldn't affect it? Or am I missing something?

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

There are sensors you could get that you put into the slot....

https://www.truspeed.co.uk/products/8mm-slotted-opto-coupler-track-sensor

Thanks. I'm definetely looking for an LED in track solution.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

One of the guys down here is running Trakmate with the sensors in a Gantry and the LEDs in the track.

I know he did have a few problems early on but lifted the sensors into the Gantry fixed the problem.

As for diameter of the leds it makes no difference as long as the wave lenght is very similar.

I have been testing some interupter sensors, but white guides tend to miss a few laps.

Thanks Phil, I will give it a go and post my results.,

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Rick, a small but important correction. You want LCD's (Light Collecting Diodes) not LED's(Light Emitting Diodes). LED's give off light when powered from an electrical source where LCD's collect light to maintain an "on" state and switch "off" when the light source is interrupted causing the counter power to change state thus counting a lap. Not trying to be pedantic but these errors are a prime factor in people having trouble getting things running right.

Stu

Old racers race harder