Scalextric Mini Clubman

Picked up a couple of the old Scalextric Mini Clubmans. I've always liked the shape of these with the built in flares. Plus I used to own a real one. a 74.. 1000.

I had a set of Slot.it 14.3 x 8 rims & tyres sitting around waiting for a small project.

MAoS0yOl.jpg

These were from the banked track era so their front axles float in a deep channel - to help them get around the old banked tracks of the time without deslotting.

First the front had to come off to allow for some body rock

UDJoioZl.jpg

Then it was time to set the front axle height. I widened the channel and dropped in an axle in an aluminium tube, go the ride height I wanted & then I filled the channel with JB Weld and set the tube in place.

UsGl8FRl.jpg

When all set I ground around the guide carrier & then ground the flat under the axles to get the guide raised and set at the right height.

I also added a front body post too.

OwbJKz9l.jpg

So that's as far as I got. It flys around the track as is but I plan to lower the motor in it's cradle down level to lower the COG and I need to glue & brace the rear axles to get rid of some of the shudder.

fPFg3Qgl.jpg

Been a fun build so far and good practice for the Metro challenge - see here

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

I've always liked the shape of these
...that'll be because the square front was done by a Ford design team.

True - I believe the designer of the Clubman grill also designed the MKII Cortina grill...

Good to see someone else having fun with one of these. I was wanting to use the same wheels but what rubber are you using on such small hubs?

Yep wheels PA33-Al (or the fancy new code??) Tyres are slot,it "racing tyres" PT1170E1 10mm Didn't want to waste these on the front but yeah nothing in the 'tyre pile' was even close to fitting.

If anyone has a lead on low grip small dia tyres I'd appreciate it..

Does your set up get your guide deep in the slot?

Yep all the way with a little allowance as I've yet to glue & true the fronts... still hoping to find some alternative tyres...

I used skinny ex Cortina tyres on the front of my Metro. Looks like my guide is too small!

The rears are the slot.it wheels, and those were the tyres Mark used on one of his builds, seemed to work ok.

Edited by Pedro51

Now to see how you bring an original Scalex Mini up to standard for competition. Of course, I mean those where the motor hangs down from the interior and where there is no seperate chassis (c. 1960-70 IIRC).

These have a 10" wheel to scale, so even the Slot.it fronts off the Ferrari 312PB are too tall...

If you figure it out, please let me know - I'd like to get mine running too.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work.

So is this the start of "World War 2"? I haven't finished my metro turd yet.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

The MiniGulf has some developments. Chassis was cut down using the MetroTurd method. I used all stock running gear apart from some cut down Scaley F1 hubs & Sideways tyres on the rear. The guide's from the parts bin too.

I lowered the chassis to get the COG as low as possible (it's now under 1mm clearance) and the body is side mounted for some multi-point rock.

mini%205_zpspy1exdvv.jpg

A quick paint job got me here:

mini%206_zpsiitm1h3y.jpg

It still needs some track time / tuning and lightweight glass / interior. I know Munter is a 1:1 Mini aficionado so I'm hoping he'll whizz me some on his vac former when he has a mo'.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

mini_4.jpg

..... I know Munter is a 1:1 Mini aficionado so I'm hoping he'll whizz me some on his vac former when he has a mo'.

I'll put my hand up / into my wallet for 3 sets as well...

Looks awesome Mac... you're churning out cars quicker than Henry ford.... I might have a play with F1 rims too..

Gazza - that looks mean - give it some love...

Thanks boys and apologies for the thread hijack Pat. I've had to repaint the MiniGulf after another clearcoat incident where I grabbed the wrong spray can and painted the car silver....DUH! The upside is I wasn't 100% happy with the 'St George Cross' decals on the roof and, now the car is repainted, I like it's new classic Gulf livery more. Will post a pic in due course.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

Gazza - that looks mean - give it some love...

I'll look at doing a full restoration and modernisation in the near future, together with about another 30 odd projects, just need to find a spare month or four

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Thanks boys and apologies for the thread hijack Pat. I've had to repaint the MiniGulf after another clearcoat incident where I grabbed the wrong spray can and painted the car silver....DUH! The upside is I wasn't 100% happy with the 'St George Cross' decals on the roof and, now the car is repainted, I like it's new classic Gulf livery more. Will post a pic in due course.

That's twice now...

I feel that you need to spray the lid on that can of paint.

Ps. Bugger.

That's twice now...

I feel that you need to spray the lid on that can of paint.

Ps. Bugger.

another is to make sure you put your classes on so you don't pick up the can of grey primer

and put it over the top of the silver that you are working on

I have done that one recently on my Ferrari 512 GRP5 proxy car

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.