slotmadmac

The Demise Of Forums

Good stuff, thanks Mark. Great to have you back man! IMO you shouldn't worry about the commercial side muddying waters. Your passion for the hobby shines through, we need more of the same!

Without content at sites like this, the hobby dies, and the commercial side does too. I'd like to see more input from all the commercial sponsors of this site.

I would have thought that honest reviews by hobby stores leads to sales. Also means the hobby stores are effectively vetting the quality of the models they choose to sell.

I'm not suggesting it is mandatory, but for those proactive sellers willing to, would definitely help their profile in the slot market.

In my dealings with you personally when building my track, the additional things you suggested & supplied to help were fantastic. No offence to the local AUS slot suppliers, but that is my experience.

I am sure all others on here would appreciate your input & expertise, regardless of whether you are a sponsor or not.

I must say I do shake my head when I see pictures of 8 men standing at the driver stations during club races and not a dude under 68 years of age. And a duty nurse standing in the background.

A lot of people dismiss digital but it is attracting people in their late 30s to 50’s. Digital readership on a few forums is up there.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I am sure all others on here would appreciate your input & expertise, regardless of whether you are a sponsor or not.

+1

www.sydneyslotcars.com

+1

Thanks for kind words guys.

Okay, I did one this morning as a typical build article. "A tale of two Porsches"

It was a newsletter article, but can reach a different audience here, so if ones like this are useful for building forum content, I can put more up periodically.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Don't think forums are going backwards, I'm on quite a few and they are all going fine, I think it's just this forum, for many reasons I prolly won't go into as I doubt it will be popular.....

• Upvote 1

I Miss Brocky...

Just joined up recently & caught up with this thread. Have to put in my two bobs. I'm in my 40s......well...until later this year anyway !!, work in IT & have been a Facebook user since it's original growth spurt. Please, please, never wind up forums like this. !!! I implore you !

My Facebook usage has gradually been wound down to a point where I basically only have an account because I haven't been bothered to kill it off completely yet ! The security fiasco is the final straw....and I'd suggest will be for many around my age bracket. Forums such as this will make a strong comeback I'm sure of it. You know when you come here that you're going to get great discussion on the topic that you're interested in with fantastic, knowledgeable & friendly folks in a courteous environment.

best wishes all

Mal.

• Upvote 2

Just joined up recently & caught up with this thread. Have to put in my two bobs. I'm in my 40s......well...until later this year anyway !!, work in IT & have been a Facebook user since it's original growth spurt. Please, please, never wind up forums like this. !!! I implore you !

My Facebook usage has gradually been wound down to a point where I basically only have an account because I haven't been bothered to kill it off completely yet ! The security fiasco is the final straw....and I'd suggest will be for many around my age bracket. Forums such as this will make a strong comeback I'm sure of it. You know when you come here that you're going to get great discussion on the topic that you're interested in with fantastic, knowledgeable & friendly folks in a courteous environment.

best wishes all

Mal.

Well said. Thanks Mal

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi All,

To keep the forums going we need to keep the interesting content coming so people will want to come and see what's there. I think some of us long term members are a bit guilty of not contributing articles (myself included). The third party photo hosting difficulties and the easier uploading on other social media sites have had there effect. Perhaps we all need to look at posting something for others to look at.

Alan

• Upvote 2

I like forum - well organised and you can search or use google for keywords.

In our posts if we keep putting in keywords it will help with google and therefore get some new members like me..

• Upvote 1

R377 and Mal - don't be afraid to start topics yourselves, asking questions, or requesting help to solve problems.

That's how we all learn

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

For me, the biggest issue with Forums was when Photobucket bunged on their act.

I've read that they have been bitch-slapped into taking a softer approach to posting photos so if that's true my daughter is going to walk me through setting up a new account as I'm computer inept.

Then I can post pictures of my crappy projects (you should see my pack of Patto's Monaros )

Chris.

• Upvote 1

Late Model

I think facebook is a medium that is very addictive and with instant notifications of new content on interest groups it just starts stimulating the addictive parts of the brain. So it is taking attention away from more important things like slot car forums :P But I keep coming back to this forum, it has a local Australian and NZ feel to it which I like. I wonder if putting posts with interesting photos with a link to this forum on the Auslot facebook page once in a while would generate more traffic to here.

Being a antique don't do any Facebook, Twit, Crap or what ever they are called , not interested in what some P had for brekkie or his B tree grew 2 inches last week , but quite like the forum as a way of contacting like minded slot car fan's in odd parts of the world chuckle ;)