The Demise Of Forums

slotmadmac

Mac has summed it up well, and I agree with Pat, Charles and others, the photo bucket issue is one more obstacle we didn't need, and as Pat said, it's a bit cold in the sheds - in your corner of the globe. Feel for us, we're now running aircon units 24/7.

Just for the record, when I "go dark", we are usually traveling. We arrived back from Ireland Monday night, and I was on forum the next morning. When traveling I am limited to the I-phone and a fairly limited Surface II tablet, which makes it so much harder to work with the forums.

We all get pleasure from seeing other people's builds, we're all always learning, so I echo what Mac & Pat said, no one should feel afraid to post. Hopefully we don't have too many hyper-critical rivet counters here. It's community.

Hosting doesn't really have much to do with moderators or moderation, we don't necessarily know any more, - or as much as some of the techie fellas here; it is simply a technical issue, and I suspect the best choice is not the same for everyone.

Some are easier to use, some give more space etc.

We already have several options posted.

Dropbox - plenty of space as they give 5GB free, but the code for linking is a bit cumbersome, really needs you to do the cut and paste as I and SR? gave

Imgur -

Facebook - the "right click, copy image location" thing allows you to copy from FB into the image thing here quite easily. I have been using that for about a year, but do fear a change from FB that takes down those images.

What are the others, we can summarise them all here, and on the photo-bucket thread

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I couldn't get Facebook images to work on the forum and had to settle for links instead.

Dropbox, whilst cumbersome, is less likely to disappear than some of the others.

FB is easy Rusty. I'll do it here, so others can use if they want. I have just scavenged a photo Paul Welford of Garden City club posted after their weekly racing.

20294177_1379612655480303_6204729538175906078_n.jpg?oh=3445a9f32069f6385e42bb40039ffe78&oe=5A0753AB

Click on the photo to bring it up as an image like below20431600_1379612645480304_7701364490876004261_n.jpg?oh=10a8a414c5625e7bfad438a4c257be7a&oe=59FCE33B

right click to get the menu options including copy image location

20264548_1379612658813636_3591159922183591397_n.jpg?oh=dbc3e975352f77a90f6460c23b936118&oe=59F0EEF5

Now just go to the Auslot post, and paste that image address which your browser i now "holding" into the image dialogue box here. - you only see the last part of the address - like in the picture below.

20294053_1379612662146969_2328511030185329073_n.jpg?oh=9ccf839703a225f43e090f44f49ad98a&oe=5A03C07F

And presto there it is.

20229320_1245860158857530_8569811310109384833_n.jpg?oh=9749490b6b9e44e50531cbacef2331b7&oe=5A088F52

I often post to the NZ Slot Racers page just so I have a picture to share here.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

using a 3rd party for hosting has never bothered me

ok it not as easy as some would like but is it really that hard

I don't think it is

I use facebook for slotcar groups as there is lots of interesting stuff that you don't get to see on forums

but does become very difficult to find again when you want to

I haven't posted much in the way of builds lately as I haven't really done much of it lately

but I do have a few in the pipe line that I will be starting a thread for

I agree with mac

there just needs to be more posting

Edited by David Carter

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi

I have found a way to get all the photos back, but you need edit access to all of your posts.

You have to edit the photo link to include ~original after .jpg eg: .jpg~original[/img]

I am a moderator on another site and it works.

Can we get edit access to our own posts? If so we can save this forum.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by 32coupe

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Click on the photo, and then click on the img button in the toolbar...

Just got a whole bunch of pics back on Auslot but will wait a week to see if they stay before I attempt any more.

All I did was click on the Please update your account 3rd party hosting which took me to my Photobucket,waited for the image to appear then arrow back to Auslot pic.

Then click on edit at the bottom of page & wait for image to appear then click full edit,then click Submit modified post.

All the pics on that post will come back but will have to repeat for next post.

I went to another topic that I've posted pics on & some of the pics were already back,don't you love putters.

:D Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Yeah, but you can't edit the photo link.

Click on the photo, and then click on the img button in the toolbar...

...yes you can do all that and then insert '~original', but the site won't allow that file extention. A red panel appears with 'you cannot use that file extention in this community'.

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I like this forum because it offers quality over quantity. It can be quiet at times, but 'that's life', it's not sustainable to have something new every day.

Another good thing here is the way everyone shows respect to each other.

I don't use FB.

The current issue of photo hosting will be resolved I'm sure.

When everyone wants the same thing it generally tends to happen, just takes a while.

Drifter.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Thank you drifter, it is nice to see a positive attitude, I agree, all will sort itself out but I do feel sorry for those that have lost their images. History is very hard to replace.

Edited by ZeGas

Hi Guys, this is a timely topic especially for me as I am one of the four who started the forum and still try to find time to maintain it. The photo issue has always been a problem as we pay for the running of the place and the more stored on it the more it ends up costing. It is something I have spoken with Jacob about but have not been able to sort out yet. We have sponsors but to be honest we haven't asked anyone for payment for about 5 years now and are paying for the running the place ourselves. Not that we are asking for money either we just need to get it back on track and the more input we get the better it can be.

I would like to find time to help get the place on track again as I thought getting older would give me more time to enjoy the hobby but I think I need to crack 60 before I may see that wish come true. I would like to see the place continue as forums are as everyone knows the best place for stored information and reference material. Jacob has little time for the forum also as he is a dad for the second time and not much into slotcars he was more the forum technical guru.

I also use facebook but that is more for family, organising mountain bike rides and 1 to 1 car stuff. But as most of you have mentioned it is useless to look back at topics and continuing threads.

I hope all of you can help keep this place going as it is one of my retirement plans to enjoy the hobby more when I get there and this place is one of the major parts of it. I have met many good friends on here and learnt a little about people and how different it is talking to people without face to face contact.

THanks for your reply Vinno.. I for one look at this forum almost everyday.. and to be without it would be a huge loss to me and many others.

The only outstanding issue I can see is hosting / posting of photo's.. without photo's, to me there is little point in having the forum and it will lose a lot of followers.

So.. to be able to post photo's without a 3rd party surely a small contribution from each of .. how many members? is worth considering..

how much are we talking $ wise. I'm sure if its a reasonable amount many would contribute.. I know I would.

I really don't want auslot to fold...

This place is great for sharing info and getting ideas.

You could possibly implement pay for space scheme too...

I really don't want auslot to fold...

This place is great for sharing info and getting ideas.

You could possibly implement pay for space scheme too...

Who said anything about it folding ????

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I meant if posting pics gets too hard, we will struggle to get content, and new people will be less common as there will be no eye candy to draw them in...

Other Forums have image storage because the owners pay for the extra storage.

This great forum is here because if the generosity of a couple of guys.

There are still plenty of free or very cheap options for pic storage, so for now we should just use them and keep this forum as it is.

The other two slotcar forums I read every day have sanctions because they are controlled by commercial interests.

SFI has direct photo uploading on most forums now.

SFI and most other forums are run as a business, encouraging members to upgrade to receive special "members only" entitlements .... at a price.

They also allow advertising to help in the paying of a photo host.

Most of them have thousands of members that visit and contribute regularly as well.

Sponsors also help with the financial needs of the forum and are protected vigorously, any posting of unauthorized outside sponsors intentionally or not is usually delt with a ban.

This forums easy going lay back attitude has attracted a lot of people from a lot of different places around the world which has only helped Auslots reputation as one of the "go to" places for information.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

THanks for your reply Vinno.. I for one look at this forum almost everyday.. and to be without it would be a huge loss to me and many others.

The only outstanding issue I can see is hosting / posting of photo's.. without photo's, to me there is little point in having the forum and it will lose a lot of followers.

So.. to be able to post photo's without a 3rd party surely a small contribution from each of .. how many members? is worth considering..

how much are we talking $ wise. I'm sure if its a reasonable amount many would contribute.. I know I would.

Yep I'm happy to contribute also.

I'm also happy to pay extra for no adds on any service.

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com