The Demise Of Forums

slotmadmac

It's a problem. Facebook seems to be building evermore momentum and forums, like this one, are clearly hurting. As a hobbyist I far prefer the forum model to share and store information. Everything is better organised. Everything is more readily searched.

I know Facebook is omnipresent but am I the only one wishing things weren't trending against Auslot?

Podiums are for short people.

Agree.. FB is a bit like a shot gun blast.. scatters everywhere and almost impossible to find the fragments later.

Our forum is far more linear.. we can find stuff thats years old... and stuff i've repeated often .. because I'm old :lol:

Edited by axman

It appears to me that there is a black hole in the forum, when someone is given the responsibility of moderator they tend to disappear off the face of the earth.

Most of the prolific posters of past were given this power and then promptly vanished.

I think the lack of interesting post gets down to how non user friendly this site is for posting pics... Everyone want to see pics, I continually see other members with this problem. I dont bother posting pics anymore on this site but have no problems posting on other sites.

Also, I have had several interested parties try to become members and given up in frustration. They tell site is a disaster to try and sign up and even harder with a tablet or smartphone.

My other winge is why I cant see new content without signing in... so much easier on a smart devise to keep up with what going on and not have to keep loging in... (my "smart" devise seems to always lose my login and I forget.. thats my excuse.. its an age thing)

So.. make the site easier and we might get more good content

Edited by axman

I have to admit that I come here every day, I might not post, but I look for new posts every day.

I too am on facebook, but it's not friendly to the older generation like us.

I lost a lot of content with the photobucket fiasco, so now I just look.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Agree pics are probably the biggest hurdle. Imagine drop and drag straight in....that would be fabulous.

This is easy as to do with the correct platform , also auto scaling is also a feature on many now , this way the site stays proportionate no matter what device you are using

I've started using Instagram a bit now, easy to upload and easy to comment.

Also easy to search and you can tag photos you like to easily find later, it would be possible to put tips up there as well.

Have got a few follows, all Spanish or Japanese haha.

You can search topics using #.

Only drawback is that you cannot follow searches, that I know of anyway.

Don't use twit or facebook or any other media crap where you get told someone had 2 eggs for breakfast instead of one chuckle, prefer this sort of platform , but with all forums there are peaks of interest and lows depending on what is going on and the interest in that subject , it's exactly the same on Slot forum, agree with Camber about pics

Good for you Rossko

If you asked me last week I was exactly the same.

Unfortunately I had to sell my soul to the devil as I am trying to fund raise for the kids soccer team and would you believe it, my wife and I, were the only two in the team not to have a facebook account and nobody would give out their email address as they say that was private.

WTF.

They're all happy to put s**t on the facepage book, but, hey communicate one up from snail mail, "don't want everyone to know my email address".

It will be disappearing once the fundraising is finished.

Rant complete, BP back down to 105/70. Carry on.

It appears to me that there is a black hole in the forum, when someone is given the responsibility of moderator they tend to disappear off the face of the earth.

Most of the prolific posters of past were given this power and then promptly vanished.

As all of us have been moderators for a number of years, where do you get that idea from.

Ember has moved on, but then so have about 200 others here who used to post regularly.

Being a moderator is completely separate from forum posting. It is crazy to expect the moderators to drive the forum posting. The skills, ideas and experiences must come from the breadth of the community into the community.

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

As all of us have been moderators for a number of years, where do you get that idea from.

Ember has moved on, but then so have about 200 others here who used to post regularly.

Being a moderator is completely separate from forum posting. It is crazy to expect the moderators to drive the forum posting. The skills, ideas and experiences must come from the breadth of the community into the community.

I've been accused of sticking my nose in where it's not wanted because i had the audacity to offer an opinion on a thread.

Apparently moderators are not allowed to have an opinion, they are just supposed to moderate all the rants and ravings of a thread that goes no where ....... so i was told

And when you sit back and moderate on a forum about things that you enjoy, in your spare time, you are then accused of abandoning the masses.

We can always turn it into a nanny state like most of the other forums, and monitor every post, every thread and everyone, i know of a few hundred i'd like to ban in a heartbeat.

But we figure as grown-ups, we shouldn't have to hold your hand when posting, and only step in when things get out of hand or someone steals the crayons, which rarely happens.

• Upvote 1

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

We just need more content boys. It's as simple as that. Less content = less reason to visit. No new content = no reason to visit.

I think a lot of people are apprehensive about posting, especially build pics, for fear of being perceived as below the standard of the best builders.The fact is that every build has merit and simple builds will encourage learners to try things or learn new techniques. I know that Auslot was an invaluable resource to me when I started and secrets shared by guys like Jazzbell became the basis of really improving my car building skills.

The bottom line is that we need more posts. If we all contribute more on Auslot, this problem will go away.

Podiums are for short people.

Hi moderators and all.

I am never slow to contribute as many of you will know but demise of Photobucket as a viable repository for hosting photos means I have not posted a photo for ages. I am sure this has affected others and in turn the usefulness of contributions.

There have been lots of alternative suggestions made on this thread but perhaps you moderators can put your heads together and suggest what you consider best. We can all therefore happily follow. Alternatively is there anyway photos can be directly added to AUSLOT.

I am sure there majority of us want to continue to support AUSLOT.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Good topic. I use both Facebook and this forum - primarily . Facebook is more eye candy and grazing where this forum builds community and knowledge sharing.

I feel I've got to know many of the posters on here even though it's only at the end of a keyboard.

As for posting, I know I've dropped off lately but I think for me - and maybe others this is due to winter time and it being cold down in the shed. B)

I do agree re photo hosting being a blocker - I don't mind using 2 platforms and I do recommend imgur.com. but I can imagine how painful it must have been for those using photobucket.

I've lost many reference threads that I've bookmarked.

You'd think after all this time IP Board would have added direct image uploading.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

IP Board can support direct image uploading, but then AuSlot has to pay for Internet Storage and Bandwidth for / to those images.

Thank SR. OK I accept last comment. No idea how AUSLOT is financed so see that could be a problem.

If moderators recommend a provider that would at least give the less informed a clear path but let others use other providers if they so wish.

Regards Chas Le Breton