Sign in to follow this  
kart.68

Scaleauto Slot Grip Tyre Cleaner

Yes Slotworx at Canberra 4 hour there was a lot using shellite so are you saying the tyres on a slotworx cars last for ever. I have 1/32 car tyres MJK on all the racing year cleaned with shellite no worries that is why it has been used for years. I agree it should not be allowed to go on track wet I wipe dry then use tape on foams.

No, I'm not saying the SlotWorx foam tyres will last for ever, but I'm still useing my original set from over a year ago.

But 99% of my tyres wear away, not go " off " from chemical treatments.

It's funny, someone starts using something for an advantage, but then everyone ends up using it, so all it does is raise the cost of racing for no real benefit.

As I said I cleaned and wiped my foams with shellite then rolled tape over them the tape still showed black on tape, so tape is the way I will go now.

Well said Caddo and Gas41T.

Unless tyres are absolutely useless I see no reason for any treatment. It is the same for all. Better to agree on different tyre. Water though does help keep the tyres cool and aid polishing but takes time.

I remember when NZ was in phase of changing from silicones that rubber were claimed as better. They only appeared to get that way though after extensive preparation. Once prepared they were nicer to drive although silicones were still competitive.

The advent of the N22 tyre changed all this. These tyres once trued stay good with just tape. In fact they should not be sanded at all once prepared. All this does is wear them out.

Cannot say I like N22's with air hubs for the reasons stated. Even NSR tyres on their own hubs tend to distort or adversely wear the centre of the tyre in my experience.

My experience with one try with Slot-it foams is they were very close to untreated rubber.

In Taranaki we use almost exclusively N22 tyres as they work very well on our smooth clean tracks. Grip if anything is too good even for Scalys. Little build up of rubber occurs as tracks are cleaned before every race meeting.

Scaly tyres are different to N22 though. They need to be sanded before each meeting and thoroughly cleaned with tape between heats. Even then they can sometimes go off before end of race meeting. Exception to date is the new Scaly tyres. I can get them reasonable but not as good as the old compound. Trouble is all the new cars seem to be coming out with them.

Will preserver with new Scaly tyres on my BMW Z4 but my preference would be to change to urethane for our standard Scaly GT class. They are great as far as I am concerned. Difficulty to getting replacement Scaly tyres may eventually force the issue.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx