Round 5 - Isle Of Man - Part 1

slotcarmann

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concluding Stage 3 of Round 1 coming up....

A 3 second overall lead for Gas over Stubbo, with Alexis breathing down their necks....

But can Gas hang on...?

Stage 3 was a repeat of Stage 2, the TT Grandstand....but in reverse direction, which is not our "normal" direction.

Over to Mike Buss as the driver on that stage.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Thanks Dave and crew , comgrats Rossko on your overall win in part 1 but them Lancias are still up there , is it possible for a bit of feed back as i,m not at all sure what to do with that car, in 3 stages it's placed 15 th then 1st and now 15 th again was the 1st a sheer fluke as it looks like to me, and is the car inherintly bad and needs to be binned. :angry:

Hi Peter and all.

Know how you feel Peter. After winning first Wales round I am just about out the back.

Well done to Gas41T, Alan, Stu and Phil and the organisers/drivers etc. Also Ben for top Metro and top 10 placing.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Hi guys

Congratulations to all the guys at the sharp end...!

Things were pretty damned close in the end.... :o When we ran the final Stage in this Round, Mike Buss, who was driving, had no idea who was leading.

I'm sorry there weren't photos or videos in Round 5, as we had to rush it a bit to get it done before summer holidays interfered with things.

However, we will be making amends for the remaining Manx rounds, and we hope to have at least another 3 Rounds (9 stages) for you. Or maybe 4 Rounds.... :lol:. I will have the results of Round 6, Stage 1 on Monday.

I understand the queries about the performance of the various cars and variations from stage to stage. It often surprises me too. :wacko:

But, don't forget the following which need to be factored in, although our voltage is consistent across tracks at 13.8v -

1. Some tracks favour speed;

2. Some tracks are very twisty;

3. We run some tracks in the "normal" direction, but also afterwards "the wrong way" for a second run, by using a reversing switch - this makes the reverse stages more difficult;

4. We vary the drivers;

5. Each driver has his preferred controller;

6. Each driver has his own particular driving style;

7. Weather conditions and temperature can affect grip;

8. The surface grip varies from track to track, although all are wooden this year.

9. Some cars can deteriorate over time - most typically gear meshes, guides/braids etc.; and

10. Alcohol is not a factor....although coffee might be...! :D

I'll do an in-depth service check on all cars at this point and as part of that will produce a table of results and comments.

There are a couple of cars which might benefit from being opened up and gear meshes checked. Am I OK to do this...? TeamRed, for example?

Cheers

Dave

Just a quick word about the Peter Gunn car....Mike had a problem with it on one tight corner on Stage 3....I think he was off 4 times in 20 laps. Also same applies to Leo's car and John's - 6 times on 1 corner in 20 laps.

Edited by slotcarmann

Thanks for the IOM crew for running this round. 3 or 4 more rounds!!! love it. You guys will need a summer break after this, cheers.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Aussies rule top 6 all Aussies and big gap opening up think the rest of us are doing something wrong here , did think this series would be a lot closer being the first year and using the same machinery , think we lesser mortals need more feed back , heard it all about differant track conditions , drivers e.t.c but you can't escape the facts that the top 4 cars are more consistant that's why they are there , were at half distance and if this carrys on some of us will be over 100 points behind by the end so hosts and drivers can we have some critical feed back please, so we can try to put up a better show if there's a next time .

As I said a few posts ago:-

"I'll do an in-depth service check on all cars at this point and as part of that will produce a table of results and comments."

I'll be spending a couple of days on this and testing the cars.

The main issue with a few cars is that they are great to drive and quite predictable, in fact they feel like they are on rails, but can hop out of the slot on a tight corner, or where there is a quick change of direction. They basically lull you into a false sense of security and next thing you know, they are "off". I know Steve and Mike B also found this. There are no cars which actually handle badly...! I have found them more comfortable to drive in general than the SCX's overall, but time-wise the top cars are about 0.1/0.2 seconds per lap down on the top SCX's on Ballayorkley - but then the SCX's had a few years' development.

More over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Hahahahaha you must be as i hadn't noticed Gary, i do feel we need as much feed back as possible all through the series especially in this first year , some of us have no idea of initial set up for wood tracks as a lot of us run on plastic as in my case all my cars are set up on Carrera , i want as much fault finding as possible about my cars as from that i can pick up where i can improve , i know Dave has said he'll do a report on all the cars and that's great , but we or i would like more info from this series as it goes on from all venues if possible to make a better car, for instance Martyn said the cars from down under are heavier than the cars we entered but didn't give a figure of how much heavier which is not a criticsm of Martyn at all just these sort of things would be useful to make a more competative series.

As these cars travel around the venues the hosts and drivers can actually see what works and what does not, so if they are entered in the WRP they can see what is what and improve their entries that way, we cannot do that , i try to enter a competative car in all the proxies i enter and after a season or two generally they are not bad but all these improvements to those cars came from feed back, i am not whinging or moaning just would like to improve . :)

I weighed all the cars at the start and posted it up, i think i reposted it after all photos went south, if not i'll repost, but not now as it bedie bye time

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017