Metrorama - Polishing The Ultimate Scalextric Turd.

slotmadmac

Following the recent BMW Bash the idea of racing one of the worst cars Scalextric ever produced was raised - with a drive your own car series on our local Hawkes Bay tracks. The car in question is this beast - the dreaded '80s Metro SuperTurd

metro%201_zps2ogg98sh.jpg

The race format is yet to be finalised but will likely be a simple round robin on 4 - 5 local tracks. Builders will drive their own car or, if out of towners send a car in, we will assign one of our world class(ish) drivers to race your car for you. The car with the most laps at the end of the series wins. Simple.

The idea is to have as few rules as possible for 2 reasons: (1) to allow for some creative flexibility and (2) because it is highly unlikely some of our local drivers will follow them anyway.

Here are the rules as they stand now:

• Entrants must use the old clunker 80's Scalextric Metro - not a modern alternative. It can be raced with or without the removable body kit.
  • Body and body kit (if used) must remain stock from the outside.
  • Superfluous material on the inside of the body and body kit can be lightened or removed.
  • Must use original chassis. Chassis can be modded / altered / added to as much as you like as long as the original chassis remains the principle part of the chassis and it is not visible if looking down on the car.
  • All windows must be glazed. Lightweight / lexan glazing is ok.
  • Car must have an interior. Lightweight / lexan interior is OK as long as there is a driver, seat and dash. (i.e. no flat interiors.)
  • Wheels, tyres, guide, guide wire, guide braid, axles, pinion, gear, bushes, spacers are open.
  • Motor is open.
  • Wheels inserts must be used if wheel would normally have them
  • Wheels must fit under the wheel guards.
  • Guide must be under the body.
  • Ballast allowed.
  • Metal additions to the chassis are limited to tubing the front axle; bracing the rear bushes to the motor.; and forming a collar to hold the guide.
  • No magnets.

If anyone from outside our local club wants to send a car over you are more than welcome to join the fun. There is no entry fee apart from the cost of return postage - $5 from within NZ. AUD$10 from Aussie.

Who's in?

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Upvote 1

Podiums are for short people.

The MetroTurd is quite a bit bigger than the Clubman. I've done one before and you can get them going pretty good but this time round I am going for a very different chassis set up. I have been working on one to see what's possible and the rules are based on what I have learned.

Have a crack. This is right up your alley. I should have a spare for you. Want one?

I'm not sure we should allow people who use emojis to enter this event.

the emojis are the least of your worries

let me loose on the rotten metro turd and turn it into a Madness Mc Maccer smasher

Edited by David Carter

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

all sounds good to me Mac

now to throw the rules out the window and do what I like beavisbutthead.gif

I was going to follow your lead and paint all my the metal bits black to look like plastic.

come on over to the dark side my son

and learn the ways of the almighty crockbone

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

By the looks of the pic, Mac will be running a Pug...

Open motor will be interesting, and pretty much rules out a MJK experiment.

Hmm, Shark 20, or Slot.it orange.

Oh shite, I'm thinking out loud again...

Ultragrips are the feet of choice on our tracks - some of which are quite small and technical. I originally planned on setting a Scaley 18k as required motor but decided to let the powerjockeys flex their arms. It will be interesting to see what builders go with.

The MetroTurd is quite a bit bigger than the Clubman. I've done one before and you can get them going pretty good but this time round I am going for a very different chassis set up. I have been working on one to see what's possible and the rules are based on what I have learned.

Have a crack. This is right up your alley. I should have a spare for you. Want one?

Dunno if I want one Mac. I just had a look at

and it doesn't look too good at all. Do NSR make Ultragrips small enough for these?
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

That looks tragic! I've built one before and it goes sweet. (I'd link to the build thread but PhotoFuckit has blocked my images.) I don't think that NSR make tyres small enough for the stock wheels - but I will be running alloys so it doesn't matter.

As an aside I now know that the car in the race poster is not a Metro. Duh! I will whizz up a replacement over time.

I have now seen this beast, dismantled and weighed all components, engaged brain in modify mode.

I think there are several ways this could go, it will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Ps. With the need to identify which car I'm driving it will have to visit the body/paint shop.

Edited by Pedro51