Photobucket Apocalypse

2 replies to this topic

#1 Old23

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Some of you may have noticed that picture hosting site Photobucket has suddenly and without warning changed their Terms of Service Policy. Though the application of the changes seems to be spotty and haphazard initially, the "fine print" in the new contract is very clear: if you don't pay an annual fee of US$400 you may no longer use Photobucket to post your photos on a "3rd Party" site like Auslot and other internet forums. That also means that all previous links, in my case going back more than 10 years on some forums, have had their photos blocked and non-viewable. I have not exceeded the storage limit of my "Free" account or otherwise contravened any of the previous Terms of Use. Yet, without even a courtesy e-mail notification, Photobucket has rendered wasted many hours of my effort posting pictures and race results on threads like the VRAA Proxy. Sure, I can find another "free" photo hosting site, there are several still out there. But what is to prevent any of those organizations from doing something similar in the future? And switching to a new host will not restore all the images to those historic threads on Auslot. The only way to do that is to pay the "ransom demand" by Photobucket. This is the worst kind of corporate extortion.

Hey, I understand that for Photobucket this is a business, and maybe their previous "business model" has been failing, but I have suffered through all the ads and snail-paced speeds on their formerly "free" service because I simply have no use for all the increased storage space etc. on the "for pay" model. Photobucket's new regime is simply absurd. If they had asked for a few bucks a month to use their servers for internet sharing, I would not hesitate to subscribe. But to only allow "3rd Party Hosting" on their most expensive subscription level is outrageous. Photobucket's new rate structure amounts to over 5 times what I pay for all the content on Netflix every month, and in Photobucket's case we (me and you!) are providing all the "content"! Does YouTube charge for hosting our videos? No they do not! They make a good bit of cash by inserting advertising around our content. And if it is popular enough, they even pay us a slice of the revenue. Clearly, Photobucket hasn't figured out how to monetize our content without charging us, the owners, for storing it.

I will not be paying the piratical Photobucket Ransom Demand and I will not use their service in the future. Unfortunately, that means that a lot of historic content on this and other forums will be lost forever. That's too bad but it's also a direct consequence of a web forum technical design that was built to rely on 3rd party hosting sites instead of hosting all the photos on the forum sites themselves.

Old23

#2 Old23

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

Good News! All the Photobucket-hosted photos are visible once again, so all of you can browse through the posts for inspiration for your future classic F1 builds.

#3 aussieslotter

Digital Dude

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostOld23, on 01 July 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Some of you may have noticed that picture hosting site Photobucket has suddenly and without warning changed their Terms of Service Policy. Though the application of the changes seems to be spotty and haphazard initially, the "fine print" in the new contract is very clear: if you don't pay an annual fee of US$400 you may no longer use Photobucket to post your photos on a "3rd Party" site like Auslot and other internet forums. That also means that all previous links, in my case going back more than 10 years on some forums, have had their photos blocked and non-viewable. I have not exceeded the storage limit of my "Free" account or otherwise contravened any of the previous Terms of Use. Yet, without even a courtesy e-mail notification, Photobucket has rendered wasted many hours of my effort posting pictures and race results on threads like the VRAA Proxy. Sure, I can find another "free" photo hosting site, there are several still out there. But what is to prevent any of those organizations from doing something similar in the future? And switching to a new host will not restore all the images to those historic threads on Auslot. The only way to do that is to pay the "ransom demand" by Photobucket. This is the worst kind of corporate extortion.

Hey, I understand that for Photobucket this is a business, and maybe their previous "business model" has been failing, but I have suffered through all the ads and snail-paced speeds on their formerly "free" service because I simply have no use for all the increased storage space etc. on the "for pay" model. Photobucket's new regime is simply absurd. If they had asked for a few bucks a month to use their servers for internet sharing, I would not hesitate to subscribe. But to only allow "3rd Party Hosting" on their most expensive subscription level is outrageous. Photobucket's new rate structure amounts to over 5 times what I pay for all the content on Netflix every month, and in Photobucket's case we (me and you!) are providing all the "content"! Does YouTube charge for hosting our videos? No they do not! They make a good bit of cash by inserting advertising around our content. And if it is popular enough, they even pay us a slice of the revenue. Clearly, Photobucket hasn't figured out how to monetize our content without charging us, the owners, for storing it.

I will not be paying the piratical Photobucket Ransom Demand and I will not use their service in the future. Unfortunately, that means that a lot of historic content on this and other forums will be lost forever. That's too bad but it's also a direct consequence of a web forum technical design that was built to rely on 3rd party hosting sites instead of hosting all the photos on the forum sites themselves.

Old23

Youtube has annoying ads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users