Round 4 - Wales Rally Cymru

snurfen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Snurfen.

Way to go for final stage to match Lions win over the AllBlacks.

Great round and fanastic win to Modeo74. Congrats to the other podiumites and particularly to BenM for the good Metro result (breaking up the almost Ford monopoly). That Metro of yours BenM just seems to get better and better.

As stated earlier I seemed to have a lot of offs on this track (10 in total) and this continued for the final round. Not sure whether this was a particular problem or just bad luck but again it is good to see honours shared around.

I will just have to content with being the first Kiwi.but only just.

Looking forward to IOM.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

Onya Martyn . Great round. Still happy with the Audi. Overall times got better Your going to have to clarify to me . Are you guys apart of the UK or is it only when a Welsh and Uk car finish at the pointy end together. ;):lol: ,

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Hmm that's a surprise in some respects as far as my car is concerned , did think it was a load of crap at the start of the season, but i think these cars have a sweet spot for a couple of races and then go off a bit, while others come in , interested to know how much track clearance is under these cars now as that has a bearing i feel also the weight.

Congrats to Mondeo 74 great performance great to see a new name up there, the kids i always expect to be up there or there abouts always good cars, thanks for the hard work Martyn expect the local offy is out of beer now.

thanks for the hard work Martyn expect the local offy is out of beer now.

I'm sure Martyn has enough hidden at home so that will never be a problem :D :D

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Craig, we are England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, when the Lions get together, we are one. It's great to see the squad gel, as we are at each other's throats for most of the season! Same goes for the supporters, we have a great time teasing each other normally, but love it when we are all Lions fans together.

Peter Gunn, the three limiting factors in my two rounds were, 1) Poor braid format - many cars had narrow (I.e. Standard) braids too close to the guide flag. I could cure this by teasing and splaying them wider. Some braids were horrible tough old things. 2) Ground clearance. Local clubs run rally stages with dips, bumps, climbs and impediments on the surface. Several cars struggled with this. 3) weight, or more precisely, lack thereof. All us Brits suffered here. The antipodean cars were considerably heavier in the hand.

I'll upload the pics at some point today - photobucket permitting of course!

wosautos12.gif

Alexis, no, your car was grounding badly and didn't want to play. It was particularly troublesome (IIRC) on the diagonal straight this is the straight that disects all three boards. It would (alternatively) pop out very early in the straight under hard acceleration (a bump near the start) which affected one or two other cars, or clunk very badly on a joint near the end of the straight. It meant the 6 traverses of that straight had to be run a lot slower than other cars, followed by the next two bends (pond inner, and shortly after, pond outer). Due to the slower speed at the end of the straight, it would foul the fence shown in the picture of car 27 and behind the fisherman in your car's photograph. It would then hit the cliff face on the outer pond bend, as shown in the picture of car 98. I had a look at your car after the run to see what could be causing it. The Lancias are a bit wider than other cars , so had a tendency to brush the scenery on this stage, so caution applied in certain spots, but your car had the widest rear track of all the cars. This, combined with the low ride height made it for a difficult drive.

As for the 6 second difference between SS1 and SS3 (both in the same direction), it was all down to the feel of the car. Some cars felt better and were able to push hard, others felt worse and had to have a little more restraint. All stage runs were performed in just over an hour, so the conditions didnt change - although SS1, 2 and 3 were all run under different weather conditions and at different times of the day.

All the cars that suffered with braids were rectified before their runs. I ran every car for a few laps through each stage, one after the other, before racing the stage. Some cars needed a lot more iterations through the lap-fettle-lap sequence than others. This was to ensure everyone would be able to complete the stage under racing conditions without impediment.

wosautos12.gif

Thanks for the photos, information and running the rounds Martyn, great job

Before you pack it away again, any chance of a few photos of the track different angles and such, just so we know what we're up against :)

Gary

OK, here's a shot of Deadman's from the last time the Rally came to Wales

Track_zpsctjmvosj.jpg

and here is Pinewood - what you can't see in this old pic is the strght that runs to the extreme left of the track. The wiggly run loops onto it and it runs the full 8ft or so boards.

pinewodd_zpsr71mgqxh.jpg

Both tracks have run many rounds of Slat Ally GB, which has included this years WRP cars. If you can't run on these two stages, you need to have a fettle!

wosautos12.gif

Just my last thoughts on this in general don't forget this is the first year of running this type of car and i know from the lot of testing i did on it , it,s not the same as the SCX cars which by the time we finished with them were pretty well developed and sorted out , also we were running in 4wd form and in line which drove and handled differantly to these 2wd sidewinders , e,g the tyres were smaller using the MJK 4219 size , using this type of car were using larger Cuda tyres to miss that dreadful spur gear grinding on the deck, so the handlings differant

I have already learned a lot from this year so far and have been building another RS 200 with the modifications i have worked out are needed as were going along e.g weight and displacement of it and modifying the front axle to eliminate the flop in the runners , also need to sort out the front tyres have profiled a set and they work a lot better eliminated any tipping as tightning the front up and using the re profiled tyres has eliminated the dig in , also running with a more tighter sprung guide had a feeling my one had to much flop in it as it moved up and down the B Nova , also ultra light braids are working better , were never going to get a car that will go well on all tracks but need to try for consistancy is the name of the game.

a very interesting read - thanks for sharing your observations. Yes, I hadn't mentioned the difference in front wheel sizes. I'll look at the cars when I box them up tonight and then look at the results and see what bearing the front wheel size may have had on the performance. :thumbsup:

wosautos12.gif

Hi Snurfen and others.

Some of the comments about changing the front axle arrangement, front tyre size, tyre profiling, bits of plastic falling out, different axle widths (in same models) are starting to worry me.

I know most of these are common in open classes but I thought WRP was a standard class. Think you can beef up original wheels and guide mount and free up body/chassis to allow free movement but that is about it. Perhaps I need to read the rules again.

I note my Metro had a lot of offs in R4. Was this because of cars tipping tendency? It was great in R3. Note Deadmans very twisty.

Looking forward to IOM.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Snurfen and others.

Some of the comments about changing the front axle arrangement, front tyre size, tyre profiling, bits of plastic falling out, different axle widths (in same models) are starting to worry me.

I don't know why your worried Charles, this is just "what if" talk at this stage, when the organizers start talking about it, then it's time to start taking notice.

Gary

Think if i,m correct Charles you can glue and true front and rear tyres and when you true them you take the sharp edges of think that's called profiling well it was in my day, and as long as you don't change the front axle fittings but cut the up and down slop out with a plastic stop that's ok nothing in the rules say you can't, and front tyre sizes when you true the tyres you are reducing the dia you know so don't panic, as the boss says it,s down to the organisers they tell us what we can and can not do

Hi Gazza/Peter.

Was not aware I was worried. I just like to keep up with play. Comments are always interesting.

Acknowledge what you say Peter. In NZ we have done same with front axle of Cartrix GP cars.

Really enjoying the WRP this year. Good to see all the different models doing well. Looked like it was going to be a Lancia/Ford benefit at start.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx