lenny broke

2017 Tasman Cup, Round 6 Spitfire Raceway

Hi Guys,

The cars have arrived here in Semaphore Park for Round 6 of the 2017 Tasman Cup series. I'll be unpacking the cars later today and giving them all check over and a minor service. There are some minor repairs to do,mainly cosmetic ( bit falling off some cars) that can be fixed with a bit of glue. If I find any problems I'll contact the owner and Stubbo before I attempt any major repairs if required.

The programme for the week is to give all the cars a bit of a test run either today or tomorrow. Qualifying will be run on Thursday afternoon and racing on Saturday afternoon. Race format will be 4x3 minute heats rather than the usual 8x2 min.

All the best to everyone for this round.

Alan

IMG_1245_zpsxrij7tng.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

Hi Guys,

I'm running a bit behind schedule but the preliminary test run/ practice has been run today and here are the times & comments ( see below). I did the driving today running the cars in reverse numerical order. It was run this way because that's how RC seeded the cars for some reason.

Qualifying will be run in reverse of times set today. I will be qualifying the cars tomorrow morning with the slowest cars running first.

If you have any queries please feel free to ask and I'll endeavor to answer them.

Cheers, Alan

2017%20Tasman%20rnd%206%20-%20Practice_zpskcj6hatj.jpg

Thanks Alan. Looks like a fast track - until I thought I saw a tricky bit coming off the bridge. I'm glad my little car is predicable - that's a big improvement on last year.

Hi Lenny. Gidday from Kiwiland.

Good to see round off to a good start. Can you tell me what your full comment was re my car. The second line is cut off.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Guys

Qualifying is about to get underway here at Spitfire Raceway. The cars are in the form-up area and are ready to go.

IMG_2720_zpshz2n3m5d.jpg

The format will see cars running in reverse practice order slowest to fastest. Each car will get a 1 minute warmup then 10 timed laps with a flying start to set a time.

Qualifying times will determine the starting order for tomorrow's race.

A bit of an update of a few things - Repairs to cars after rnd 5.

Car 1 - a drop of canopy glue on the windscreen to stop it falling off.

Car 9 - Reacquaint Farmer Clark's head with his shoulders and reattach the tail pipe to bodyshell with a drop of superglue & a drop of canopy glue on the loose windscreen.

Car 11 reattach trans axle housing to rear of car with a drop of superglue.

And some responses to some posts.

Difinity, this years chassis is lot better than last year. the run through the wiggles is actuallt up hill on to the overpass. It can be quite trick to get through ther but if the car is well set up and "flows" through it can be worth a couple of tenth off the lap time.

IMG_1252_zpshgouk2eu.jpg

Chas, the last bit of comment is...... "but should race well". The car runs very nicely but just lacks enough speed to be off the outright pace. I expect it will stay in the slot and just keep going around.

Well I'm off out to the shed now to do the business, see you in a couple of hours

Alan

Thanks Lenny. Apart from tyres sounds like my new MRRC/SRP FF050 motor is a dog or is it the gearing.. Cannot complain as have had some really good ones over the years.

Good luck with round.

Regards Chas Le Breton

PS.

1. Note times considerably faster this year. Nearly half a second although Old23 put up a very good qualifying time (7.7secs).

2.What are the brakes like?

Edited by charlesx

Hi Guys

Well qualifying is done and dusted and there were a few changes from the practice/test session ran yesterday. Everyone went a bit slower for some reason, some slower than others. I can't explain the reason why as all the cars felt similar to how they were yesterday. I gave the track a light wipe over with a slightly damp rag and gave all the tyres a clean with water before I started. it was a bit warmer in the shed today than what it was yesterday so I'm a bit flummoxed why.

Any way Congratulation to the GrandKids on securing pole position for tomorrows race

2017%20Tasman%20rnd%206-%20Qualifying_zpsjauwdz9b.jpg

And the Qualifying podium shot

IMG_2721_zpsb8lvpdv7.jpg

Edited by lenny broke

And here are the results for Round 6

2017%20Tasman%20Cup%20Rnd%206%20Results_zpsqmaysnia.png

And here's the podium

IMG_2761_zps6x46fni1.jpg

Well today would have to rate as one of the toughest in my time running proxy rounds. For some reason the track decided to give trouble with connectivity between track section joins and power drop offs on blue lane which caused a few problems that meant we had to restart a number of heats to give everyone a fair run. Any way we batted through and got a result.

Congratulation to the Grand Kids And John Batich on another Tassie 1 2. that Car1 certainly impressed every on here today.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone involved with running the round today and appreciate the way you patiently waited with good humour ( usually at my expense I might add) while problems were rectified. Also a big thank you to Heather- Mrs Broke for providing a massive afternoon tea at the conclusion of racing.

Now onto the "damage" list.

First is the most obvious and can be seen in the podium shot. Car 1 took a wall hit in the warmup laps on Blue when the intermittent power problem cropped up while the car was on the top straight and jumped the fence and landed on the floor.. Fortunately the chassis wasn't damaged and the car carried on as before but sadly the body took the brunt of the hit and the nose snapped off. I can glue it back on if that s OK with the GK's, please let me know

Car 6 had the body mount post break and will need to be replaced. I can see to that before sending on to the next round

Car 14 had the gearbox/ exhaust detail fall of in an incident that can be easily fixed back on with a drop of superglue

Car 30 had the body mount post come unstuck which was easily fixed with a drop of super glue before we got started. also the lead ballast underneath came unstuck from the chassis which we fixed for the race with a bit of tape it will need to be restuck or can be left off for the next round.

If anyone has any question please ask

Once again thanks for letting us play with your little babies and hope we get the opportunityto do it again next year.

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Alan: Glue the nose back on the Lola, Codes is pleased with the results, but dissapointed about the body damage.

Well done to J.B with another strong race. Good result for the home track car as well.

The kids car now looks like it will be very hard to beat again this year.

I think I will get her to build my car for next year.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Here's the team that did the business today

The driving team. well done today lads!!!IMG_2747_zpsw7tvhfv9.jpg

Big Mick, Max, Mike & John S. Thanks Guys

The Event team

IMG_2751_zpsgizts5tl.jpg

Me - Race control, John C- Start Line & marshal, Keelan & Wayne- Lane change & marshals Thanks Guys , Great job today.

The Boss, not looking very pleased about having her pic taken.IMG_2758_zpserd7cmip.jpg

Thanks Dear!!!!!! top spread this afternoon.

IMG_2757_zpsphatsfmn.jpg

Hi Lenny seems like you've had your hands full with the racing and incidents, as far as 14 is concerned just glue it back on it's not it's year anyway seems to quali well but race badly, congrats to the regular performers at the top,

Thanks Alan.

Re #6, was it the front or rear?

Posts were glued with JBWeld. Hope it comes back together ok.

May explain the fall off in performance after what I think was my best qualifying.

Thanks and well done for a very quickly run Alan and all the crew over there SA!

Well done to Codes for building a car that certainly is the one to beat again this year. Congrats to Phil and JB again too

Looks like I have quite a few to catch. Its great to see so many cars vying for some action this year.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Thanks to Lenny and the team over in SA for running the round, man that supper looks the business!

So good to have so many helpers, well done guys!

Congratulations to the podium getters err finishers...whatever is the right phrase to use...

Cannot be unhappy with my #10 Bt11, it certainly is consistent!

Pipped again by OLD23,

Thanks to Lenny & Mrs Broke, had a great day and happy with Mel's Elfin getting 5th.

I am still recovering from the feast - did not need breakfast!

Having run races for quite a few years I sympathise with you Lenny - Had a fair few problems that never show up until the race day!

Even if you try everything meticulously before the race starts.

Problems Well handled though Lenny - to get the heats completed with all cars showing the best result they are able to.

And now the repairs

Before

IMG_2762_zpsqfawkgyg.jpg

And After

IMG_2763_zpsngxlsuww.jpg

Difinity's # 6 is still waiting on the JB Weld to set bfor reassembly. DM opted to leave the lead ballast off for the last round.

Just some final observations from me on some of the cars in no particular order.

I felt a number of cars were let down by the guide set up on them. ( yes I'm on that ol'hobbyhorse again!!)

Terry's #10 was a really lovely car to drive if not one of the fastest but his cars strength has always been their consistent driveability. What we found this year was it would go along nicely for a few laps but out of the blue it would deslot in the tighter dogleg/hairpin/uphill esses.section. Looking at the front of the car it looks to me that the guide selected was a bit shallow in the slot and could have done with being spaced down bit to get it deeper into the slot or maybe even replace with a slightly deeper one. This I feel would make the car more consistent in the corners and allow the drivers a bit more confident in the tighter corners.

Still on the guides there were a couple of cars which had the larger wood guides fitted which again in the tighter sections appeared to me that they were binding up in the slot and the car was tripping up on the guide and coming out of the slot. keeping in mind how light and low powered they are i reckon they are having trouble pushing them through the slot. perhaps for next year consider something a bit thinner and shorter. also there were a couple that were a bit tippy and combined with either a taper of a larg radiys on the leading end of the guide made it easy for the guide to ride up the slot and come out. Spoons #2 PG's #14, RT's X13 and Old @# #11 come to mind here.

There were 2 or 3 really good handling cars that just didn't have enough go in them to finish higher up the field than they deserved.

Chas's #5, Mannimals #78 Stubbo's 56 and Slo's #3 to a lesser extent.

Any way that's my two penneth's worth for this year, you may not agree but it's all fun in the end

See you here next year,

Alan

Thanks for the feedback on the #10 car Alan,

I now know the front end of the car is the culprit and cannot wait for the cars return so I can get to work on it, I'm guilty of not acknowledging the importance of the front of the car and it has bitten me in the bottom,

just another lesson to be learnt.

Nice repair on the Grandkids car!

Terry

I agree with Alsns comments about guides,the larger guides are a problem and detract from the cars handling. I have found that the front wheels only need to just touch the track surface.

I also noticed when the cars were here that some are a little tight in the rear axle.

The kids car is very free in the bearings,the rear axle would spin in the bearings with no gear on.

Codes is happy now the kids car is back together! Thanks.

Shouldn't DM's ballast be reinstated so he can still score points? Leaving it off changes the cars specs.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg