Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Slot.it Pod Triangulation

This car is entered in the upcoming Group 5 Proxy series and recently I changed the pod to a 1mm offset pod. For what ever reason I could not get it to 'float' so I had to 'fix' it.

I still had the original broken Sideways pod so I hacked the front off it and glued and screwed it to the Slot.It pod and now it's as free as a bird.

DSCF5577.jpg

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Funny how some pods move freely while others bind on the invisible.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Nice fix.

Personally I like the 3 screw pods.

You can drastically reduce front pod up down float without reducing the twistability.

Edited by shadow_rusty

Help me out here i have been told by some of you gents down under to tighten the pod up and let the body screws take care of rock , reason i was told was my Gp5 car from a couple of years ago was shuddering out of the bends due to having just a little pod pod movement, apart from proxies my cars do not run on wood so i,m doing this blind so was wondering can one of you tell me what's the right way .

Help me out here i have been told by some of you gents down under to tighten the pod up and let the body screws take care of rock , reason i was told was my Gp5 car from a couple of years ago was shuddering out of the bends due to having just a little pod pod movement, apart from proxies my cars do not run on wood so i,m doing this blind so was wondering can one of you tell me what's the right way .

hi Kieth

the car you run last year was fitted with the sideways stock pod

it is to flexible for wood track

you can use it but it pays to brace with piano wire from the motor to the axle bushes

or better still swap it for the white slot it pod which doesn't need bracing

I also think the flat 6 motor has to much torque

I have seen anglewinders fitted with the NSR spanish king be very quick and easy to drive

it is the motor I would use if running anglewinder

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Keith

Have a look on SCI this years grp5 and last years cars where breaking lap records threw the states & Canada, there is videos of the top ten cars in detail with every point - body rock, pod loose ect

I run fibre tape to stop shudder with a loose pod

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

Do you straighten your pod as well as the chassis? I took to doing pods as well after a while.

Mr Slot.it does his as one unit - pod tight in chassis, usual straightening tricks. I prefer to do them separate.

I float everything, never had any joy with tight pods.

I usually start with everything about one and a quarter turns backed off of "tight-ish", and go a quarter tighter on body at a time till I find optimum, then 1/4 on pod till I find optimum, try body again 1/8th tighter and looser etc etc.

After about 3 days . . . . . I usually find the best combination of speed and stability for all corners and best lap times.

Absolutely critical that the pod cannot bind on anything, if needed, sand chassis, and / or pod.

Likewise with the body, if you hear any clicks through corners, something on the body is catching something on the chassis - find it, kill it !!

When all you hear is a whir of beautifully humming gears at all times, you are getting close.

One thing I've found while loitering around in your hemisphere, is that the gun teams all seem to leave sideways slop in the axle to prevent gear binding. Sometimes more than a mm

I just can't fathom that. - ESPECIALLY for angle-winder setups like they run in Europe so much on plastic, as the sideways slop changes the gear mesh from sloppy to tight in an instant and back. I was staggered at the amount of gear noise I heard in Birmingham, and some in Igualada at the event there.

Maybe with bumpy plastic tracks that somehow helps for plastic tuning, but in tuning for wood, I remove the slop.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC