Nz Can-Am Round 6

David Carter

due to a mishap and I will blame myself for that

the cars didn't turn up to Orakieracer in time for his round

and because the cars need to be with Difinity for his round in Aus on the 1st/2nd July

the cars are going to be sent to him

and Orakieracer will run his round after Gas41T round

I apologize for that and hope it doesn't happen again

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Box received today! At first glance all seems good.

Will open and test tonight in prep for Sat.

Cheers

Tony

awesome Tony I am clad they have arrived in plenty of time

I can relax now

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

As noted, the cars arrived today. I've given all but one a couple of laps -

CharlesX - your M6 pinion spins freely on the arm = no drive. PM sent.

All but Dave C, Curf99, Gas41T and of course mine - no traction - is like an ice rink. The good news is that I think they will mostly rubber in and be ok.

Petergunn - can you confirm which M8D is yours? I can't find one with your name on it. If got a 'Keith' instead - black livery...

That said, these are a great bunch of cars, esp after most of the season is done. Saturday will be practice, qualifying and race - I have a Club round Friday so that comes first.

Drivers will be me (Difinity), Rossko (Gas41T), our club's best and fastest driver and Andrew K (he who built the track, and many others across Oz). Will be a good day.

Tony

Hi Difinity.

Surprised about pinion (Slotting Plus) but was always suspicious of grub screw fitting. It has however lasted for 5 years without being touched. I am not aware of it having needed to be tightened even.

If not screw stripped yes please solder on or as you see fit. Important to be ready for race day.

Thanks for your help. Really looking forward to Aussie rounds.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Not good, no grip maybe stop running eurathane tyres tony on the track so the rubber stays on track, I find eurathane buffs the good rubber off and leaves powder...

So the treated tyres are gripping well it proves to me the cars that ain't gripping don't have treated tyres !!!

see you Saturday 3hr drive to Canberra wooohooo then 3hrs back that's commitment

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

I gave the shiny glossy tyres a quick run on a wet sponge and the grip came up. Some are much better than others.

We will have run enough rubber by Sat start for them to be ok, though the urethanes clearly grip better.

You should be much more concerned with my downhill hairpin - this always sorts the loose from handling chassis...😊 (Think 'corkscrew' @ Laguna Seca - 200mm inside radius dropping 200mm over a half metre...)

CharlesX - your car is fixed.

The pinion has 2 M4 grub screws. One is loose and will not tighten though I don't think it will come out. The other was slightly loose - I have tightened it and is all ok now.

Orakieracer - there is a small bit fo lead loose in the package with your cars. I'm not sure which it belongs - I can strip both and hot glue it back if I can find the correct spot if you wish.

Everybody -

Tyres were all glazed on arrival. A quick spurt on a wet sponge seems to have fixed the traction problem, though as yesterday, urethanes are about 0.5 sec faster per lap on my surface. The Slot.its will rubber in more quickly and the NSRs will catch up after some running. I expect we will need to run each car about 50 laps each before race start to rubber the track in, and that helps with practise as well.

Some very quick cars here - these will be a challenge as a driver with the main straight just 1.5m long. Everything else is a curve in or off a corner...

We will do what we can to get the best out of each of these cars - I expect the quicker so far to stay at the top though.

Details, qualm and race on Sat. Results up as soon as possible after that...

Tony

"Orakieracer - there is a small bit fo lead loose in the package with your cars. I'm not sure which it belongs - I can strip both and hot glue it back if I can find the correct spot if you wish."

Hi Tony - if its only a little piece of lead - I wouldn't worry too much, opening up the cars may disturb setup more than missing a little piece of lead.

Thanks.

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Race run and done.

Well done to podumites ...

Many thanks the Rossko (Gas41T), Alvaro, Andrew and Paul for your contribution and help - especially given the -5.6C temp this morning.

Qualifying was done by Alvaro.

Race drivers were Ross, Alvaro and Andrew. Thanks to Paul for standing as Marshall today.

As practice, qualifying and race were run on the same day, the results include both qualifying and race.

Car pics and comments will follow this post.

475268F8-AE1E-4A62-950F-80BF3EB01F82_zpsc8y4l0ay.jpg

Thanks for the run Definity and congrats to the usual top runners, put a Pirana in that car this year and seems a mistake as regards brakes , did have something new here for next season ready to go but as Can Am ain't no more won't be using it also did quite fancy the Thunderslot Gurney Spyder for this CA002015SW as well