Question On Motors

aquakiwi

I have a couple of orange end bell motors which otherwise look identical to the Piranah, on the tacho at 12v, they are 23.3 and 23.180. Are they the same as the Piranah or older Slot-It motors. Both spare Piranah motors I have are 23k, one of which has a black and the other a white, endbells. Still trying to decide between 20k Shark (20.150) or one of the afore mentioned motors for the Grp 5 Proxy.

Edited by aquakiwi

So that means the piranha motor isn't suited

For the group 5 B class then

By the rpm, no. I think the rules refer to manufacturers specs. In my experience in Slots and RC car racing, motors vary quite significantly. Edited by aquakiwi

'Late' model 'square edged' orange can motors have been re-classified by slot.it to be a 23k motor.

'Early' model 'rounded edged' orange can motors are the original 21.5k motor.

I believe that the new 'black' endbell motor is rated at 21k, and is the 'spiritual' replacement for the 21.5k motor, and is found in the Slot.it Alfa / Calibra.

Edited by shadow_rusty

I'm going with a 20k Shark this time around because I think they have more punch and better brakes than an orange end bell, and although I don't have a tacho to measure rpm I go by sound and the Shark is definitely not as quick as an orange endbell. The rear wheels on my Capri are significantly larger than my P68 and Mk4 so effectively it is geared up a lot to those 2, and at 35:12 gearing it is still accelerating at button off point on Wazzas back straight which would be one of the longest straights the cars run on in the proxy. I'm going to try 36:12 gears next and see how it pans out.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hmmm, this is interesting...

Assuming 100% efficiency, and exact RPM ratings...

NSR 20k with 9/27 gearing has the axle spinning at ~6666rpm.

To Gear a 23k slot.it to a similar axle speed (6571), it would need 8/28 gearing.

The question is then, would the NSR and the SLot.it motors then feel more 'similar' to drive?

Alternatively, if you gear the NSR 20k at 10/26 (7692), which is similar axle speed as the slot.it 23k at 9/27 (7666rpm), would it then be lacking brakes?

Slot.It V12/3 "orange endbell" later version, square corner case (FC-130)

Rated - 23,000 RPM/12v, 170 gcm/12v, 9.8W/12v

Tested - 23,535 RPM/12v, 167 gcm/12v, 9.8W/12v

NSR Shark (FC-130)

Rated - 20,000 RPM/12v, 164 gcm/12v, 8.2W/12v

Tested - 20,204 RPM/12v, 203 gcm/12v, 10.3W/12v

Edited by shadow_rusty

Square Shouldered Can

simy10.jpg

Round Shouldered Can

simn10.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

Yep thats what the tacho tells me Bram both the orange endbell and Piranahs are 1.5 to 2.5 k faster, respectively, than the Shark. I'm leaning towards the Shark.

Alan, I had a run on Wazzas track tonight with my Capri with a 20k Shark and 11:34 gearing and that even felt too tall as the braking wasn't as good as I expected and it didn't 'peak' before the end of the straight. Maybe my car is too heavy at 86gm and/or the wheels are too big to get the best braking out of the motor in it.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Yep thats what the tacho tells me Bram both the orange endbell and Piranahs are 1.5 to 2.5 k faster, respectively, than the Shark. I'm leaning towards the Shark.

Alan, I had a run on Wazzas track tonight with my Capri with a 20k Shark and 11:34 gearing and that even felt too tall as the braking wasn't as good as I expected and it didn't 'peak' before the end of the straight. Maybe my car is too heavy at 86gm and/or the wheels are too big to get the best braking out of the motor in it.

It turns out this motor is pulling around 22k so I'm thinking it may have weaker magnets which would explain the lack of braking effort too. I'm going to swap it out for the one in my Mk4 which doesn't pull as many revs but is a quick car with good brakes.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg