ZeGas

Track Filler

I am building (retrofitting) a railway crossing for my layout and need to grade up and then back down each side.

The grade will be gentle so a reasonable area will be filled.

What is the best / cheapest filler I can use, it must be strong and not brittle not flexible as I need to include the slot

Also something I can smooth out while malleable so I can minimise sanding

I have already considered auto bog but it is a bit expensive for the area I require.

Guessing the area is about 300-400mm each side of crossing and about 100-150mm wide.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ZeGas

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Maybe try using some 3mm MDF with the edge chamfered for the bulk, and bondo / bog / etc for the joins?

Another vote for 3mm mdf.

Easily worked & sanded.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

Ordinarily I too would agree, but this is in my office with computers among other sensitive stuff, I'm hoping to get away from bulk sanding if at all possible.

I may create a model external to the track and then fit in on top or maybe layers of 600gsm card with a bog skim topping.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects