alexis in greece

Black Arrow Ferrari Gt3, full Of Surprise

Having seen the Momo liveries I liked them,and was curious to discover what these cars are worth,so when one of them was in stock I ordered.

Italians have a word that I like ,to describe this kind of situation,rompicoglioni,I would not put the english counterpart here as moderators would delete it.(If you google it look for 2 words rompe coglioni to get the exact meaning)

I started assembling the kit on a Sunday afternoon,by puting together the chassis.

Surprise #1,the motor would not fit in place unless I seriously bent one of the contacts ..

Surprise #2 trying to put the front axle in place there were only 2 screws to adjust ride height,fortunately I had some in my box

Surprise #3 the spherical bushings would not slide freely on the rear axle,I had to file them to get the proper movement.I read a post on frenchslotforum describing that in a couple of cases buyers did not free up the bushings ,rotated the axle,the bushings started rotating along with the axle,melted the plastic housings and ended up with a solid rear axle.I was lucky to escape all that.

Surprise #4 when I press-fitted the spherical bushings in place I discovered they were too tight to align properly,the axle not running freely as a result.At that same post above I read that someone used Slot.it bushings and solved the problem,it is on my to do list

Surprise #5 ,nasty,all screws (body posts,suspension,guide,motor) had a torx head.

Surprise #6 next morning I visited the local hardware store to buy a torx screwdriver,#5 was loose,#6 would not fit so I bought #5 ,then noticed that the bit was conical so I filed it a bit and got a tight fit.

Surpise #7 the lateral suspension mounts would not move freely and I had to file them to free them up.

Surprise #8 the supplied braids would not go through the guide openings so I used Slot.it's

So I needed 2 afternoons to put together the chassis and culd not say I was happy with what I had found so far.To be fair though there was a couple of things I liked very much:

-the way lead wires are secured below the front axle.

-the tight fit of the guide,moving freely and at the same time having less play than ,say, Slot.it guides.

Chassis assembled

34814330401_aeb2d619bd_z.jpg20170528_172523 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

And then moved on to the decal puzzle.1st problem was to find out where each decal should be applied.There was only one photo at the companies site showing the front and found another on google showing the side but still there were a few with no obvious destination so I followed the red Momo livery ,of which there are more photos on line,and did some guesswork.

34782636512_1b7d697559_z.jpgmomo_1-22139 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

34135720143_d9fe573395_z.jpggt3-italia-momo-1-22136 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

Then proceeded to the decal terror,they were so closely printed that it was scary to cut them apart.For example the front and rear windshield black frames had other smaller decals printed in their center.I wonder how much it would cost to print the decals on a 30% larger sheet. Surprises kept coming on,I soon discovered that the 2 arrow like lateral decals covered completely the intakes.Following the same frenchslotforum post I cut the decals,after they were applied,where the openings are,difficult operation as the exacto nife would not go through,luckily enough I have in my toolbox several old fashion(60ies) rasor blades which did the job.

34946254545_bf5c9eeca1_z.jpg20170528_172341 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

To be fair I liked very much the quality of the decals,they were flexible enough to fit on complex surfaces but strong enough to avoid tearing,especially long thin pieces.

Next puzzle to tackle was the bits and bobs of the body quite a scary job,(no instructions or photo included) as if you skip one step there is no way back.I took me about 1 hour to fit the first grill (of the ones below the tail lights) unitl I ventured filing the 2 centering pins,on the second one I had the experience and went fast,the other grills,8 in total,were fitted with no issues.

34103382314_333474c166_z.jpg20170514_201254 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

34782637132_a0e4efbe0a_z.jpg20170514_201307 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

.Apart from the grilles the rest of the bits were a perfect fit,better than,say,Slot.it.

The mirrors are made of rubber,good idea if they stayed in one place.I could not figure out how to fit the wiper blade so I left it asside,along with 4 tiny pieces that I could figure out where they go.

Then came the cockpit puzzle.The 2 dashboard pieces had to be filed to fit each other,then there was a problem with the roll cage pins,the 4 fronts were too big so I had to open the respective holes,the 3 rears were suposed to fit on a horizontal plane but the holes on the cockpit tray were on an almost vertical plane so holes had to be enlarged again.

Last cockpit surprize ,I think the drivers head was just a helmet and the head piece was missing,I was fed up and wanted to finish so I inserted a piece of plastic tube as head and pva glued the ensemble.

34798077332_eb6fcc6ffa.jpgClipboard08 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

34962101385_c30be20de7_z.jpgClipboard04 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

The pleasent surprise was weight,fully equipped the body clocks 21 grams ,the company offers alternative lightweight cockpit and windshield,though out of stock when I purchased the kit.Total weigh 82 grams compared to 75 grams of the Slot.it F40 in race trim (lightweight cockpit and glass fitted then weight added low to meet rules 17 gr minimum body weight requirement)

Last few surprises,the rear wheel inserts had to be sanded to fit the rims,then to my extreme delight I discovered that the grub screws are M2.5 ,not compatible with any (Slot.it or NSR) existing screws and that body mounting screws are also incompatible (apart from the torx thing) with popular (NSR,Slot.it) ones,not 2(loose) not 2.2 (NSR,Slot.it, too large wont fit) but 2.1 mm dia..So wherever you go race this car you need an 1/32 lorry full of spares and tools.

First visit to the club's track:(Ninco) my fully tuned Flat6R motor equipped ,Sideways tyres shod Slot.it Ferrari F40 clocks 8.2 on the blue lane .This car out of the box,tires not glued not trued could not clock less than 9,5 .Of course with closed can motor providing only 11 grams of magnetic downforce it didnt stand a chance to shine.Grip was not bad the main issue beeing breaks.Gear ratio is 13:30=2,31 against 11:28=2,54. on the F40 . Would like to try something different but the dreaded torx screws prevented me from doing so,forgot to bring the torx wrench along.

Second visit to the track.I swapped the motor with a Slot.it Boxer 2 (this is what I had available at the time -its a pity that the motor mount does not allow the installation of a flat motor) which gave 30 grams of magnetic downforce (maximum allowed by the rules ) and changed the pinion from 13 to 12 giving a ratio 12:30=2,50.Times went immediately down to 8,8 then replaced the rear tires with a pair of Sideways ones and started clocking low 8,5 and eventually below 8.5 with a best of 8,47.A feature I liked is the possibility to adjust the motor position on the gear side making sure you achieve the optimum mesh.When I returned home and reread this report I remembered the rear bushings issue , immediately swapped them with Slot.it ones to get ready for the next visit.Pleasent surprise,Scaleauto produces m2.1 screws,good for the body posts,alas not long enough for the suspension.

Third visit to the track.Fixing the rear bushings issue was worth more than 2 tenths in lap times,started clocking regularly 8.2s and a best of 8.17.Faster than the F40.With still things to improve.Tuning stops here as there is no chance of racing it for some time.

Conclusion:The car has got potential ,its a pity though that you need to spend at least another 20 euros on top of the , 59.99, not moderate,price.

I am thinking of buying at white body kit and combine it with an Olifer chassis which accepts Slot.it motor pod.Fitted with a Flat6 motor and lightweight cockpit and windshield I think this car could tear the competition apart

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Excellent write up Alexis, all your effort in the topic may save someone else having to figure out the intricacies.

- I edited the topic title for you, to put the L in "Black", as I don't think regular users can edit those for themselves.

I see Roger translated the PITA principle on your behalf...... I think we can live with that humour ;)

cheers

mark

Thought about getting this kit but chickened out and got the red momo one with the fully finished livery and the lexan fitted cockpit , and found under it a chassis with axles and wheels attached to it everything else was in a bag so put it all together and as i went made a few changes to it like fitting NSR rear tyres and changing the gearing from the 13x30 it had to 12x30 mainly because i prefer the ratio, and fitted softer braids , the motor i ran up on 6v and it sounded a bit firing on 6 cylinders so i,m guessing a possible dry joint so at the moment the motor is a Hawk 25 had to lift the front a bit with the axle adjusting screws which i only had one in the bag , good job i have spares , on the track which is Carrera this really goes having the Hawk in possibly exagerated the handling but a nice car on the track does look wide though, the price including shipping a bit on the expensive side costing 71 euros in all but i must admit it looks good.

Great write up Alexis.

Pity about the lots of 'small' issues, as they are stunning looking cars.

I've often thought about getting one of these, but have been put off by the 'only buy it direct' philosophy which makes it very expensive in Australia...

Excellent write up Alexis, all your effort in the topic may save someone else having to figure out the intricacies.

- I edited the topic title for you, to put the L in "Black", as I don't think regular users can edit those for themselves.

I see Roger translated the PITA principle on your behalf...... I think we can live with that humour ;)

cheers

mark

Thanks for editing the title,Rogers translation was not what i was looking for,and i repeat search for 2 words rompe coglioni,its more fun i think

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Thanks for editing the title,Rogers translation was not what i was looking for,and i repeat search for 2 words rompe coglioni, its more fun i think

ah right, I ran the words differently through the translator, it is that too :lol::rolleyes:

it is more correct Rompi Coglioni, but it could be apply to you as well (like being too picky) ;-)

Since Alexis posted the same thread on SF I am going to post the same reply here (almost).

Feedback and criticism is always good and I think Alexis here got a bad lemon which is right to report for the community to know.

But the cars are really worth it if you are in modern GT3: no one else is making a serious 458 and it is super competitive if you know what you are doing.

In fact, I am kind of surprised that one so experience like Alexis is so put off but some of these surprises.

Anyway, I think I have got 10 of these cars I will keep buying them...the level of details is simply amazing and they look seriously good. did i say that they go really well?

I just hope that they are going to update to the 488...it will look super cool on the digital mt. panorama track...but this will be another for another topic.

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".