Jb Weld

Caddo

Hi all

I've seen many posts where mostly scratch builders [i'm not]talk of JB Weld. JB Weld make urethane & epoxy adhesives, with a large range of product lines.

Which JB Weld product is most commonly used for gluing metal bushes & bracing of motors to 1/32 plastic chassis?

Cheers

Caddo

Edited by Caddo

I dont use it for gluing bracing. I prefer an araldite two part type epoxy glue for that sort of thing.

JB can peel away from a smooth surface such as a chassis...or maybe it is the flex in the chassis plastic as the JB goes pretty hard.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I only know of 2 JB Weld products, both consist of a grey hardener, and a black adhesive part.... or is it the other colour way around... been a while since I had access to my bench. Both set completely rigid, whereas all other 2 parts I now set "rigid" or "firm" but have some give, and soften with heat - eg motor heat.

The standard, and the one known as JB Quik - which has a - obviously - quick set time instead of 24 hours in the standard product.

I used both, The quik for non-stress situations, and the slow set for anything that has to survive knocks.

The advantage on one side of the ledger is that because it sets like concrete it has a fixed rigid shape, and doesn't flex like most 2 part epoxys. In my experience that makes for smoother drive trains where you want to prevent flexing in say a scalex chassis where you are gluing in upgrade parts, bracing the motor to the drive side - where I usually use some brass rod or piano wire encased in glue.

The downside is as munter was saying, is because it has no flex, it has a bit higher likelyhood of cracking off of the surface it is bonded to than a flexy 2 part.

And like Phil says, a key to reducing that risk is mainly to make sure the surfaces you glue to are clean - especially de-greased. But roughing up a motor surface, increasing contact area, and even part wrapping the brass around the thing you are gluing it to - all help.

Overall, it is still my first go-to product for gluing things together.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I sometimes use JB for filling a body master but never for gluing. I use some cheap two part epoxy from the dollar store for gluing bracing, axle tubes, body posts etc. The latest purchase actually sets to a milky white just like the stuff of old. The tubes are nearly empty and I have some Uhu two part that I got from an art supply store sale. We shall see how good that is.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

i always use JB weld for bracing and never had a problem

i always give it a little bit of a roughing up and good clean

roughing up the contact points gives the glue a better bite/hold to the surface

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.