Lap Counting And Timing Help

xr8

Due to a computer that played up once to often I ripped it out and gave it a suitcasing and binned it. I will get a new computer but need someone to install a program and re connect it and it needs to be just a simple as it can be. 4 lanes, wooden and all the plugs are there but I have no idea on what system, we had race co ordinator and was done by someone else but was always a pain in the arse. I am in western Sydney and does anyone need to earn some money and help us out. Dale 0414635928

RUBBINS RACING SO HARDEN UP

I don't know but for 18 months it would come up with "lost communication" or would freeze, or just stop when the lights went green and wouldn't count, I have no idea but I was over it. And it did it every time we raced so Friday was the last day it will ever do it

Good to know that I wasn't the only one that have had endless problems with race coordinator, I wish I never changed to it from startline.

I've actually reset up the startline hardware so the next time RC stuffs up its 5 minutes work to have startline running and the race night can continue.

And the RC and arduino goes in the bin!!!

Good luck finding something!

Edited by espsix

I have been running race coordinator for years with no problems at all.

But every one that I know who uses an Arduino has nothing but trouble, so don't blame the software when you have an arduino problem.

Bin the Arduino and re-install race coordinator.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Trackmate, no question, I've had it now for about 7 or 8 years and not once has it been a problem.

I am not great with this sort of thing and a couple of my slot mates are worse, we all run trackmate and we can use all the functions and it does not let you down.

Forget all the fancy do das, just get something that works and stays working

The lost communication problem is poor hardware installation.

It is not the Ardunio,or the program.

More often than not is is cheap USB cables,poor routing of the cables or interference from track or other cables.

We used to use Trakmate for years,but poor support and the fact RC is just a lot more flexible made us change.

We now have 9 club tracks running RC, 5 using Ardunio, 4 still using Trakmate interface boards.

If you want a simple turn key installation layout the cash and order Complete Viasue System that uses RC and comes complete, or a complete Trakmate System.

Not sure of the current costs but were over $200.

IMO the simplest solution for anyone who is not electronic minded is to use a Trakmate board and run it from RC as many guys do when they change over.

Edited by kalbfellp

I reckon this system is the easiest on both hardware (minimum spec is fine) and software. Never missed a beat when we used it and accurate (as it doesnt rely on windows). Further, cannot beat the price: FREE. If you need all the bells and whistles a trackmate board and Race Coordinator are the best though.

Dale, I might have a spare moment or 2 to set this up if you have an old PC with a parallel porrt (printer port)

Slot Race Manager

Phil, the last problem I had with RC was the famous " lost communication with PC " , went out a bought a heap of ferrite cores, a new usb, remade and rerouted cabling, and none of that fixed it, turned out that the program was faulty, which was strange, because someone else was using the exact same download, upgraded to a later version and the problem disappeared.

I'm not sh#t caning the program, but getting it to run has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to do.

I think I've got it working, but don't trust it enough to get rid of my startline setup.

Shame there's not a MAC version. ;)

Brett: we have used RC for about 5 years, never had a problem with the program on any PC, But the lost communication problem is common on ANY program that runs on USB and requires constant connection and data transfer.

I have tried most USB Serial adapters on several PC when we were trying to get Trakmste to run years ago, it was a pain in the butt!

I have had corrupted downloads on several programs, seems to just happen from time to time.

USB is certainly not as reliable as the old Serial or Printer ports, but they are becoming a thing of the past.

I have just made a parallel setup for a guy in Queenslsnd, with out any interface board. Works great if you happen to have an old machine with printer port.

Do you have small capacitors across each lane.

I've set up RC once, for Mark at Bonogin Valley Raceway, using a Freetronics clone Arduino, a relay board and ribbon connector cables from Jaycar.

I kept the wiring neat with everything mounted on a board and it hasn't missed a beat as far as I know. No ferrites or caps anywhere. If you skimp on the power supply or cable quality, and don't keep it neat, it will bite you.

I've pulled cheap cables apart and found the wire wedged into the connector with a splinter of bamboo, I guess bamboo is cheaper than solder.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Lost communication with the arduino's is almost always the USB cable, and on the rare times it's not, it's the port on the PC itself.

Personally, I use a HP USB cable that came with a bunch of monitors.

It's quite thick / stiff compared to most, and has 'smaller' ferrite cores molded on each end.

ps. Stay away from Comsol cables. Totally not worth your money.

Like Rusty said. When I was doing Trackmate and needed Serial to USB converters, which have electronics built into them, there were a lot of clones that didn't work... I think Phil had been through the same process over the years of identifying ones that were reliable.

Also, in general on PCs, not all USB ports and firmware are created equal. I've come across PCs that steadfastly refused to work with components that worked on fine on numerous other PCs. - I own about 6 laptops, all with Trackmate & RC installed so I always had test beds available.

And if I remember right, not all Arduinos are created equal either, I came across a couple of cheap Chinese UNO and MEGA clones that didn't work properly or not reliably with RC. I threw about a dozen boards in the bin over 6 month on my learning curve.

Some didn't even want to take certain sketches.....

If nothing else, you need an enquiring mind, confidence with PCs and a bit of grass-roots experience to sort out timing problems.

I could fix 95% on first pass, but I still had a few head scratchers over the years.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

It was NOT a usb, or any other hardware problem, that was giving me the "lost communication " issue!

XR8, go track mate, if your Even considering giving RC another shot, I'd buy the full ready to run kit, that way when something doesn't work you can get your money back, as a DIY prospect it's more trouble than it's worth.

And don't use arduino even though on all the forums it's the setup everyone says is the easiest and best.

Good luck with finding a reliable timing setup for your track, it's a real bummer having race night ruined by a timing system that won't work the way it should.

Edited by espsix

I have been told to buy trackmate which I will but what computer will I need. Someone on here sell track mate I was given a name but forgot it. Dale

Here you go

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/en/5-slot-car-timer-for-windows

You can use Daniels own Tracknate software with it, or Race Coordinator software

- Dave actually developed RC to use himself as alternate software with the Trackmate board, then it grew from there.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I brought the turnkey Trackmate and apart from some ailing laptop issues, it is working as promised.

As an older bloke my computer skills are only slightly more advanced than replying to emails, so I would say if I can get it running anyone can.

I occasionally get a yearning for a amiable 11 year old to run my technology.

I occasionally get a yearning for a amiable 11 year old to run my technology.

We had one of those - he turned into snake 😂😂😂

UPS and Fedex are very good and deliver door to door.

USPS is good too but once it gets to Aus Post it grinds to a halt. I recently ordered some electronic bits from the US. They took 2 days to get from the US to Brisbane, via Japan, then 3 weeks to get from Brisbane airport to me.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill